Qatar - Recommends / Suggests Troop intervention in Syria - Regime change? - By Arabs

Arab League Troop Intervention

• Arab League should stay out

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

Goober

Hall of Fame Member
Jan 23, 2009
Moving
Qatar - Recommends/Suggests Troop intervention in Syria - Regime change - By Arabs

If the Arab League goes to the UN requesting the use of force, Russia and China will NOT use their Veto.

Qatar's emir suggests sending troops to Syria - Middle East - Al Jazeera English

The emir of Qatar, Sheikh Hamad bin Khalifa Al Thani, has said Arab troops should be sent to Syria to end the political unrest in the country that the UN says has left more than 5.000 people dead.

In an interview on Friday with US broadcaster CBS for the news programme 60 Minutes, Sheikh Hamad was asked if he was in favour of Arab nations intervening, to which he replied: "For such a situation to stop the killing ... some troops should go to stop the killing."

Sheikh Hamad is the first Arab leader to publicly suggest foreign intervention in Syria, where the uprising against President Bashar al-Assad is now in its tenth month.

Speaking about his own influence on the uprisings in the Arab world, he said: "We are supporting the people of those countries ... [who are] asking for justice and dignity.

"If this [is] influence, I think this is a healthy influence. I think all the world should support this."

BBC News - Middle East

Syria crisis: Qatar calls for Arabs to send in troops.

The ruler of the Gulf state of Qatar has said Arab countries should send troops into Syria to stop government forces killing civilians there.

Sheikh Hamad bin Khalifa Al Thani told US television channel CBS "some troops should go to stop the killing".

It is the first time an Arab leader has publicly called for military intervention in Syria.

More than 5,000 civilians have been killed since anti-government protests erupted in Syria in March, the UN says.

Qatar was the first Arab country to join the Nato-led operation in Libya, which led to the downfall of Libyan leader Col Muammar Gaddafi.

It has also led regional criticism of the crackdowns on protesters by President Bashar al-Assad in Syria and in Yemen by President Ali Abdullah Saleh.

Interviewed on the 60 Minutes programme, Sheikh Hamad was asked if he was in favour of Arab nations intervening in Syria.

"For such a situation to stop the killing... some troops should go to stop the killing," he said, in the programme to be broadcast on Sunday.

Johnnny

Frontiersman
Jun 8, 2007
Third rock from the Sun
I voted that the Arab League should intervene.... Syria has suffered imperialism in the past and if the west sent in Armies to keep the peace it would be seen as imperialism... And with Iraq close by and what that country went through NATO should stay out.... We have to accept the fact that these people have to get their **** straight on their their own terms... My opinion

Goober

Hall of Fame Member
Jan 23, 2009
Moving
Seems more logical than we infidels going in.

I agree - Note the change in attitudes from many Arab Govts after the Arab Spring. Some quelled riots with violence, some are still going thru the massive changes, Egypt. A new leadership will take effect in Saudi in the next 10 years.

It has been noted for a number of months that Turkey may set up safe zones well inside the Syrian borders. But it will be the Saudi Govt footing the bills.
We will see more attacks on Syrian Military forces as weapons etc are provided.

We are already seeing sectarian violence, kidnappings, revenge killings and so on.
Homs has mostly degenerated into sectarian neighborhoods.

damngrumpy

Executive Branch Member
Mar 16, 2005
kelowna bc
The only reason the Arab world is taking notice is because the world spotlight is too bright.
Most regimes don't care what happens. The other thing that bothers me is it is Shia
Muslims creating the problem not the Sunni'shia Muslims are the most fundamentalist
and they are supporters of the Muslim Brotherhood. Syria's government is not heavy
Muslim it is secular for the most part.
These folks kill each other like flies all the time and why would this be any different?
Libya, is a nation that was overthrown by you guessed it the Muslim Brotherhood.
We will likely find out that we have replaced an evil murderer with an group of evil murderers.
Egypt is another case of, we don't know who we supported. I am suspicious about why
the Syrian problem came upon us so quickly and violently.
I think in a full blown civil war it is best to let them fight it out and determine the course of
human history. What would the world be like today had the major powers at the time
intervened in the America Revolution or the Civil War? It should be clear by now, we should
learn to mind our own business, in many cases. The world isn't threatened by the actions
in inside Syria so let it play out.

ironsides

Executive Branch Member
Feb 13, 2009
United States
Seems more logical than we infidels going in.

You called?

Goober

Hall of Fame Member
Jan 23, 2009
Moving
Wonder why CBC did not pick this up. Looks like a good show. i had read about it wuite sometime ago. Wonder if it did takeoff.

http://www.nytimes.com/2012/01/15/w...pping-out-of-control.html?_r=1&ref=middleeast

In Homs, a city that a Lebanese politician called “the Stalingrad of the Syrian revolution,” reports have grown of sectarian cleansing of once-mixed neighborhoods, where some roads have become borders too dangerous for taxis to cross. In a suggestion that reflected the sense of desperation, the emir of Qatar said in an interview with CBS, an excerpt of which was released Saturday, that Arab troops should intervene in Syria to “stop the killing.”

“There’s absolutely no sign of light,” said a Western diplomat in Damascus, a city once so calm it was called Syria’s Green Zone. “If anything, it’s darker than ever. And I don’t know where it’s going to end. I can’t tell you. I don’t think anyone can.”

The forbidding tableau painted by diplomats, residents, opposition figures and even some government supporters suggests a far more complicated picture than that offered by Mr. Assad, who delivered a 15,000-word speech on Tuesday, declaring, “We will defeat this conspiracy without any doubt.” The next day, he appeared in public for the first time since the uprising began in a Syrian backwater last March.

ironsides

Executive Branch Member
Feb 13, 2009
United States
WASHINGTON (AP) — A recent visit by the commander of Iran's elite Quds force to Damascus is the strongest sign yet that Iran is supplying weapons to aid Bashar Assad's crackdown on the Syrian people, a senior Obama administration official said Tuesday.
While the U.S. has long believed Iran is helping drive the deadly crackdown on dissent in Syria, the official says the visit by Quds Force Commander Ghassem Soleimani provides a concrete example of direct high-level cooperation between Iran and Syria.

US: Strong signs Iran is giving Syria weapons - Yahoo! News

Goober

Hall of Fame Member
Jan 23, 2009
Moving
WASHINGTON (AP) — A recent visit by the commander of Iran's elite Quds force to Damascus is the strongest sign yet that Iran is supplying weapons to aid Bashar Assad's crackdown on the Syrian people, a senior Obama administration official said Tuesday.
While the U.S. has long believed Iran is helping drive the deadly crackdown on dissent in Syria, the official says the visit by Quds Force Commander Ghassem Soleimani provides a concrete example of direct high-level cooperation between Iran and Syria.

US: Strong signs Iran is giving Syria weapons - Yahoo! News

Arab League calls for Assad to step down. Case referred to the UN.

The Arab League to Syria's President: It's Time for You to Go - TIME
The strong Saudi remarks hardened deep divides within the 22-member Arab League over how to tackle the Syrian problem. Due to the disagreements, the foreign ministers' meeting, originally scheduled for 4 p.m. Cairo time, was delayed for several hours. When it finally convened, the meeting lasted for nearly five hours. The decision to take its initiative to the United Nations Security Council did not receive the support of Algeria, which abstained from supporting that clause; Lebanon, once again in the grip of its larger, stronger neighbor Syria, rejected the pan-Arab deal.

damngrumpy

Executive Branch Member
Mar 16, 2005
kelowna bc
This is actually more problematic for the west than we might think. Right now the
main players are themselves bogged down in the Middle East, in fact even the
Russians and some of their friends are looking hard at this. Syria is also a friend
by the back door of America. Case in point, they helped get Saddam out of the
south in the nineties.
Syria is a Sunni nation with some measure of open religion, meaning its not yet
controlled by fundamentalists. That could change. The terror groups in the south
are Sunni yet they are militarily supplied by the Shiite Iranians. If Syria falls at this
time you can bet the radical fascist fundamentalist Muslims will cease the day,
In the end we will see these groups take over Egypt, Libya, Syria, and God knows
where else. Does anyone see a pattern here?
We are doing Iran's dirty work and they will get all the benefit including Iraq and
Afghanistan if we are not careful. Oh well we will wake up one day. The biggest
problem is the real people in these countries will find themselves in a worse state
than the governments they got rid of. We will also be involved in military actions
for decades if something does not change soon. Step down? Assad has no
choice there is no way he can step down it will tip the balance of power and effect
every state including Saudi Arabia, the heart of oil country and that means we end
up back in the Middle East fighting the conflict all over again.
The Middle East is a very complicated place, and it is about to become more so.

Goober

Hall of Fame Member
Jan 23, 2009
Moving
I forecast thick clouds of propaganda, trending toward more rioting and killing.

NATO, including Turkey, Iran and Russia are all heavily involved. Part of this is a legitimate popular uprising against a brutal dictator. I was the first one on this forum to raise the issue, nearly a year ago.
http://forums.canadiancontent.net/international-politics/99112-syrias-protests-have-escalated.html

Must have been a good news day for Isreal. And that means a really bad day for the Jew Haters on this Forum.

Oh yes - What is a non violent pacifist.

darkbeaver

the universe is electric
Jan 26, 2006
RR1 Distopia 666 Discordia
Who owns Qatar and much of the rest of the Arab league I mean not including the three or four hundred billionaires with vaults full of yankee barrels of oil and dollars?

Must have been a good news day for Isreal. And that means a really bad day for the Jew Haters on this Forum.

Oh yes - What is a non violent pacifist.

Goober, you know anti-semitism, in Israel, is also on the increase. How do we account for that?
Well, I have read that most of these new Jew Haters are anti zionist Israeli Jews anti war Israeli Jews and various Jewish religious groups who object to the Israeli states grip on religious justifications for a forest of policy not considered kosher I guess. All of these people are also called Jew Haters by zionist pigs.

Last edited:

Goober

Hall of Fame Member
Jan 23, 2009
Moving
Who owns Qatar and much of the rest of the Arab league I mean not including the three or four hundred billionaires with vaults full of yankee barrels of oil and dollars?

Goober, you know anti-semitism, in Israel, is also on the increase. How do we account for that?

I will leave that to you to explain. Perhaps you could help EAO with the answer to what is a Non Violent Pacifist?
Let the current course thru those cells. EAO your friend is in need of assistance. Help him dammit. Not Now but right FFn Now. So get on er OK.

Goober

Hall of Fame Member
Jan 23, 2009
Moving
UN Security Council discusses Syria crisis - Middle East - Al Jazeera English

The United Nations Security Council is discussing in a closed-door session the violent turmoil in Syria, the French mission to the UN has said.

Diplomats are debating a draft resolution presented by Morocco, UN diplomats said.

The 15-member Security Council could vote as early as next week on the new draft resolution, which diplomats from the United Kingdom and France are crafting in consultation with Qatar, Morocco, the United States, Germany and Portugal, envoys said.

The draft resolution supports the Arab League's call for Bashar al-Assad, the Syrian president, to transfer power to his deputy and set up a transition unity government to hold elections in the next two months.

Russia's UN Ambassador Vitaly Churkin said the European-Arab draft resolution was unacceptable in parts, but his country was ready to "engage" on it.
Richard Murphy, a former US ambassador to Syria, told Al Jazeera that if the Arab League's proposal was backed by most Arab states, it would send "a very powerful message".

"If there is a unified Arab position, this will be a very powerful message in New York for the security council powers to consider. If this turns into a revival of the old Cold War fights between Russia and the United States, then the people in Syria ... are going to suffer. It need not happen that way," he said.

'Political transition'

The draft resolution calls for "a political transition" in Syria, but does not mention sanctions against Damascus, according to a copy of the document obtained by the Reuters news agency.

The draft's supporters hope for a vote by next week, but will have to convince Russia and China, both permanent members of the body who used their veto powers to kill an earlier proposal.

Syria activists report 'massacre' in Homs - Middle East - Al Jazeera English

Fresh violence has erupted in the besieged Syrian city of Homs, a day after armed forces loyal to President Bashar al-Assad barraged residential buildings with mortars and machine-gun fire and killed at least 30 people, activists have said.

Heavy gunfire erupted for a second day on Friday in the city, which has seen some of the heaviest violence of the 10-month-old uprising against Assad's rule. Activists said at least 61 people have been killed across the country on Friday.

Elsewhere, a car bomb exploded on Friday at a checkpoint outside the northern city of Idlib, the British-based Syrian Observatory for Human Rights (SOHR) said, citing witnesses. The number of casualties was not immediately clear.

The head of the Arab League monitoring mission in Syria said that the violence has risen "in a significant way" in the last three days, particularly in Homs, Hama and Idlib.

"The situation at present, in terms of violence, does not help prepare the atmosphere ... to get all sides to sit at the negotiating table," General Mohammed Ahmed Mustafa al-Dabi said in a statement.

The Sudanese general called for "an immediate end to the violence to protect the Syrian people and clear the way for peaceful resolutions" to the crisis.

Angstrom

Hall of Fame Member
May 8, 2011
As long as Canada has no military part to play in any of this crap i'm happy.
I hate paying tax's to buy bombs to kill people, who's famaly's will hate us for the rest of there lives.

MHz

Time Out
Mar 16, 2007
Red Deer AB
How about the closest country that has a 'bitch' with them take the first whack and the further away you are the less you should care, really. The Arabs would be the grunts and Syria gets to watch some Russian hardware do it's stuff, if it can. before the reloads are ordered.

BTW the 'Al Qaeda' helpers need some regular dress so the people know not to 'harm' them. A civilian with a weapon is a spy and they can be killed before questioning. In a uniform you get to give your ID before dying.
Much more civilized, that why there are uniforms, doh.

If the Arab League goes to the UN requesting the use of force, Russia and China will NOT use their Veto.
Perhaps Syria is the one that actually fights back in a long and action packed ($expen$iv$) war with Russia and China supplying Syria with parts and their pilots are flying from the home countries. If they don't use the latest and the best it is just a big show to get rid of stuff that is interfering with the production (and non use) of the latest parts, for both sides.

Last edited:

darkbeaver

the universe is electric
Jan 26, 2006
RR1 Distopia 666 Discordia
The NTC is just a bunch of mercs and not the expensive ones either. So Israel and it's puppet western world foment all of the Arab spring flings so far only to have them backfire, badly. Egypt might cook into the biggest mistake as the people are occupying again. I think Syria and Iran will be spared.