The Queen is not Canadian

Spade
+1
Quote: Originally Posted by bluebyrd35View Post

Of course we don't NEED the economic benefits of the commonwealth, but the world does need at least one organization that has a higher aspiration than gaining the upper financial advantage or other benefit from their dealing with other countries. ie. world peace, individual liberty, democracy, rule of law, human rights etc.

Let me guess... that organization is the Girl Guides?

Most helpful post: The members here have rated this post as best reply.
bluebyrd35
+1
Quote: Originally Posted by SpadeView Post

Let me guess... that organization is the Girl Guides?

J.H. Christ, why not?? The boy scouts seem to be infested with either pedophiles or religious fanatics. Where else do we find normal, ethical persons?? The Girl Guides and/or the females in most households are apparently the only persons still holding a reasonable, pacific outlook. Reason is at the present, just about non-existent. So, in my opinion, at least the common wealth organization tries to set higher standards than many heads of states, proclaiming "their country" is the best in the world!! A little modesty is refreshing occasionally.

Spade
More commoweal but less commonwealth.

bluebyrd35
Quote: Originally Posted by dumpthemonarchyView Post

In terms of exports the Commonwealth is small potatoes. We have no economic need for it.

Pomp and ceremony means something to Americans because they fought a 7 year war for independence and many died. It altered the character of the country in ways wars do-that is, being assertive and aggressive and fighting wars. The American view of the monarchy is just romantic, nice to think about, but don't really want it.

And Canadians in Germany in 1936, at the Olympics, wanted Hitler's autograph. Point is, the English dump their monarch when it is politically suitable. Now the English establishment has a relevancy problem with the doddering Charles, his son William with the hottie Kate looks far more fun to the masses. Someone could get a push soon.

And Canadians fought the same 7 year war because of loyality to Britain, their homeland! Yes, many Canadians died as well, in the same 7 year war. We did not become aggressive, nor do we blow our own horn every chance we get. We are a democracy with an elective government with ties to the British monarchy. A few misguided Canadians may have wanted Hitler's autograph, in 1936 but by 1939, a great many of our young men were involved in the world war against fascism and Hitler. We entered that war in 1939 and stayed until 1945. We put our might,in place of our mouths, (rather sitting neutral and supporting both sides with our arms industry)

It seems to me there are so many other more relevant issues for Canadians to put their efforts into, other than getting rid of the monarchy, which gives pleasure to a great many people. So, if some Canadians get pleasure out of their Queen and family, why do those who are not turned on, and are not held monitarily responsible, feel they must sh.t in everyone elses cornflakes??

dumpthemonarchy

And Canadians fought the same 7 year war because of loyality to Britain, their homeland! Yes, many Canadians died as well, in the same 7 year war. We did not become aggressive, nor do we blow our own horn every chance we get. We are a democracy with an elective government with ties to the British monarchy. A few misguided Canadians may have wanted Hitler's autograph, in 1936 but by 1939, a great many of our young men were involved in the world war against fascism and Hitler. We entered that war in 1939 and stayed until 1945. We put our might,in place of our mouths, (rather sitting neutral and supporting both sides with our arms industry)

It seems to me there are so many other more relevant issues for Canadians to put their efforts into, other than getting rid of the monarchy, which gives pleasure to a great many people. So, if some Canadians get pleasure out of their Queen and family, why do those who are not turned on, and are not held monitarily responsible, feel they must sh.t in everyone elses cornflakes??

"Canada" as we have come to understand it, began in 1867. The 150th anniversary of the country will be in 2017. Big party time. The supposedly great victory over the French in 1759 on the Plain of Abraham in Quebec is now a forgotten hill with a small plaque on it. I saw it, gone and forgotten, like our British history.

Hitler was obssessd with the body, a vegetarian also, and he and his entourage generally did not smoke. He was a fussy guy. Like many people are today. And in a poll in 1927 by Literary Digest, the predecessor to Reader's Digest, Mussolini and Lenin ranked number one and two. Farther down the list came Edison and Henry Ford. But I digress.

The fed govt is spending almost $10 million for the queen's jubilee this year. I would rather get the money, or have it spent on reducing the debt, or local works projects. Then provincial and local govt will be spending money too.

bluebyrd35
+1

"Canada" as we have come to understand it, began in 1867. The 150th anniversary of the country will be in 2017. Big party time. The supposedly great victory over the French in 1759 on the Plain of Abraham in Quebec is now a forgotten hill with a small plaque on it. I saw it, gone and forgotten, like our British history.

Hitler was obssessd with the body, a vegetarian also, and he and his entourage generally did not smoke. He was a fussy guy. Like many people are today. And in a poll in 1927 by Literary Digest, the predecessor to Reader's Digest, Mussolini and Lenin ranked number one and two. Farther down the list came Edison and Henry Ford. But I digress.

The fed govt is spending almost $10 million for the queen's jubilee this year. I would rather get the money, or have it spent on reducing the debt, or local works projects. Then provincial and local govt will be spending money too.

Quite true Canada dates it's official confederation from 1867. However, we both know that was not the beginning, merely a symbolic mark in the history books. Our country is an example of evolution. Perhaps you feel the Plains of Abraham is a forgotten hill with a small plaque on it but consider what language would be most prevelant across this country, if the outcome of that battle had been different. If you will notice, royality rarely visits Quebec. Ever wonder why?? It is not because of the cost believe me.

I believe if you look up what that $10 million is being spent on, you will find it is being used to upgrade many facilities in Canadian towns. Naturally a great deal of it will be spent in Ottawa, but then I suppose Canada's capital city will always come in at the top of the list. Generally speaking the cost of the monarchy to Canadians is $1.53 a year. Cheaper than a cup of Coffee, these days, out of which most Canadians get to enjoy a yearly celebration. In Quebec of course, it is no longer the "Queen's Birthday". Instead, our bigest celebration is St-Jean Baptiste day. LOL. This in a society, that is becoming more and more secular every year!!

I am not sure where that $10 million figure came from, but I read it will be 1.1 million over the usual cost of Canada day celebrations. Expo 1967, celebrating our 100th anniversary was one of the greatest in my book of memories.

Mowich

People around the world have different ideas of what Canada is. Most don't think of Canada much, and when they see a monarch from a country they know very well, like England, on Canadian money, they have questions. The division between them and us is not as clear cut as between us and Russia say. If you're a monarchist, and you travel around the world, you can tell people the queen is Canadian. They may think you're nuts, but that's the Canadian mentality today of some people.

If people around the world are uninformed enough to believe the Queen is Canadian it just shows that they lack an understanding of international affairs. The fact that the leaders of those countries know that the Queen is British is of far more importance.

Instead of continually disparaging our connection to the British monarchy you might be happy for the occasion to educate others about the wonderful country you are lucky enough to be a part of, IMHO.

dumpthemonarchy
Quote: Originally Posted by MowichView Post

If people around the world are uninformed enough to believe the Queen is Canadian it just shows that they lack an understanding of international affairs. The fact that the leaders of those countries know that the Queen is British is of far more importance.

Instead of continually disparaging our connection to the British monarchy you might be happy for the occasion to educate others about the wonderful country you are lucky enough to be a part of, IMHO.

One source for our cost of the queen's jubilee, $7.5 million. An excuse to upgrade infrastructure, the usual. But I'm sure security costs are not included, we'll find out those much later. Canada News: Conservatives balked at cost of Queen

Most people in the world lack an understanding of world affairs. Educating them is futile, but I have tried. Part of the education process is showing them the queen is on our money and then trying explain to them the difference between the head of state and the head of govt. Great fun. If you're teaching them English you can't afford the time to teach them such fascinating, but needless subtleties in our interrelated political systems. Then you see Harper walk side by side with Cameron recently chatting away like old friends.

Most Asians think we're English because we speak English, we were an English colony, and our consitition is based on the UK one. On the CBC show the Hockey Nomad, the Arab ref says he needs someone who is "English", meaning Canadian, good enough for him.

Blackleaf
Quote:

We were an English colony

You were actually a British colony.

The Old Medic
Talk about a "One Not Band". This person is totally fixated on getting rid of the monarchy.

OK, lets say you actually did that.

What would be the benefit to Canada? How would anything change?

You say that Asians consider Canada to be part of Great Britain? Doubtful, but even if they did, just imagine what they would think without the connection.

Canada has significantly less population than Britain, it has less manufacturing than Britain and it has a MUCH lesser role in the world. So, divorce it from Great Britain, and watch ti fade into total obscurity. Nobody would know what Canada is, or where it is. If they thought of it at all, they would just think of it as being the Northern part of the USA. Would you prefer that?

Spade
Hmmm.... Might be nice! I hate Canadian winters.
Last edited by Spade; Jan 30th, 2012 at 03:12 PM..

bluebyrd35

One source for our cost of the queen's jubilee, $7.5 million. An excuse to upgrade infrastructure, the usual. But I'm sure security costs are not included, we'll find out those much later. Canada News: Conservatives balked at cost of Queen

Most people in the world lack an understanding of world affairs. Educating them is futile, but I have tried. Part of the education process is showing them the queen is on our money and then trying explain to them the difference between the head of state and the head of govt. Great fun. If you're teaching them English you can't afford the time to teach them such fascinating, but needless subtleties in our interrelated political systems. Then you see Harper walk side by side with Cameron recently chatting away like old friends.

Most Asians think we're English because we speak English, we were an English colony, and our consitition is based on the UK one. On the CBC show the Hockey Nomad, the Arab ref says he needs someone who is "English", meaning Canadian, good enough for him.

LOL.....Now let's break that 7.5 million down a bit shall we?? 3.7 million goes to minting 60,000 medals for civic minded Canadians. Not sure what this has to do with Queen or her visit, do you?? Couldn't be political could it?? 2 Million are to be spent on special events in the Queen's honour. These may be in her honour, but it is more for a grand blow-out celebration for Canadians. One Canadian regiment is giving her a diamond broach but it is The Royal Regiment of Canadian Artillery of which she is Captain General. No price affixed. Flags are also mentioned, not sure what these will cost but looking at the medals, I would guess somewhere in the area of 1/2 million. So what are we left with?? My goodness look at that...... It leaves 1.8 million for upgrading facilities,for the actual visit etc. Now it seems to me not much actually being spent that is not for the benefit of Canadians, one way or the other.

I have travelled a fair bit and I have never had a problem explaining why the Queen appears on our money. You would be surprised to discover how many other world currencies she appears on.

Mind explaining how the Canadian constitution is less effective or less suited to Canada than those of other countries?? After all there are many other ones it could have been BASED on.

Colpy
The Queen most certainly IS Canadian.........

Spade
+1
My Gawd, She holds dual citizenship. Do Harper and Rae know?

The real test, of course, is if she holds a Canadian passport while travelling.

L Gilbert
+1
Let's demand the long form of her birth certificate and proof that she isn't Moslem.

Spade
Quote: Originally Posted by L GilbertView Post

Let's demand the long form of her birth certificate and proof that she isn't Moslem.

Is...is...is this a hijab?
Queen Elizabeth II Mooned In Her Lovely Pastel Hat (PHOTOS) (external - login to view)

L Gilbert
Well, according to the HuffPost, it's a "pastel hat". They can't fool me, though.

dumpthemonarchy

LOL.....Now let's break that 7.5 million down a bit shall we?? 3.7 million goes to minting 60,000 medals for civic minded Canadians. Not sure what this has to do with Queen or her visit, do you?? Couldn't be political could it?? 2 Million are to be spent on special events in the Queen's honour. These may be in her honour, but it is more for a grand blow-out celebration for Canadians. One Canadian regiment is giving her a diamond broach but it is The Royal Regiment of Canadian Artillery of which she is Captain General. No price affixed. Flags are also mentioned, not sure what these will cost but looking at the medals, I would guess somewhere in the area of 1/2 million. So what are we left with?? My goodness look at that...... It leaves 1.8 million for upgrading facilities,for the actual visit etc. Now it seems to me not much actually being spent that is not for the benefit of Canadians, one way or the other.
I have travelled a fair bit and I have never had a problem explaining why the Queen appears on our money. You would be surprised to discover how many other world currencies she appears on.
Mind explaining how the Canadian constitution is less effective or less suited to Canada than those of other countries?? After all there are many other ones it could have been BASED on.

Quote has been trimmed, See full post: View Post
The idea of govt spending is to stimulate the economy, and in this case the queen is a backdrop often.

The queen is on currencies of Malta, Cyprus, Belize and a few other powers. They do need her more than she needs them. But NZ and Australia use her pic too. It's not too hard to explain why the queen is on our money, we were a colony, but we're not anymore.

Canada's const. could only have been based on the UK, were were a colony of Britain. In those days being part of the British empire meant something to Canadians, who often felt British first and Canadian second. Not all Canadians wished to keep the imperial link alive. John A Macdonal said he was born a British subject and would die as a British subject. He was a good Canuck though.

When you think aout it, the British empire was quite multicultural, stretching across Asia, America and Africa. Now I'll equate mutliculturalism with imperialism. There's no rest for the white colonial guilt crowd, they can never shed it.

Blackleaf
Queen Elizabeth II is Head of State of 16 nations. These nations are the Commonwealth Realms. They are: Canada, Australia, New Zealand, Jamaica, Barbados, the Bahamas, Grenada, Papua New Guinea, the Solomon Islands, Tuvalu, Saint Lucia, Saint Vincent and the Grenadines, Belize, Antigua and Barbuda, Saint Kitts and Nevis and the United Kingdom.

It's hard to believe that Canada has the same Head of State as Papua New Guinea, and that the UK has the same Head of State as the Solomon Islands.

L Gilbert
Yep. Kind of silly, isn't it? (rhetorical)

Spade
More'n "kind of."
Last edited by Spade; Feb 1st, 2012 at 10:23 AM..

Cliffy
We should get a new queen. Trade Lizzy for Freddy:

Queen - 'Crazy Little Thing Called Love' - YouTube (external - login to view)

Colpy
Quote: Originally Posted by CliffyView Post

We should get a new queen. Trade Lizzy for Freddy:

Queen - 'Crazy Little Thing Called Love' - YouTube (external - login to view)

Ahhh....Freddy is dead.

And I don't think he had the required devotion to duty and intimate understanding of the constitutional role of the Monarch.

Although he might have loved the gowns....

WLDB
Quote: Originally Posted by The Old MedicView Post

Canada has significantly less population than Britain, it has less manufacturing than Britain and it has a MUCH lesser role in the world. So, divorce it from Great Britain, and watch ti fade into total obscurity. Nobody would know what Canada is, or where it is. If they thought of it at all, they would just think of it as being the Northern part of the USA. Would you prefer that?

I personally dont care what any country thinks of us, I could live with this scenario. I imagine that within 50-100 years they'll be knocking on our door for water though.

no new posts