Merritt's top Mountie accused of stealing cocaine from police lockup

grumpydigger
Merritt's top Mountie accused of stealing cocaine from police lockup Merritt’s top cop has been arrested and charged for allegedly stealing — and using — cocaine from an RCMP drug exhibit.
Staff Sgt. Stuart Seib, Merritt RCMP detachment commander, was arrested Tuesday and charged with theft Wednesday.
Additional charges are pending for Seib, an 18-year veteran, said Supt. Mike Sekela, the officer commanding the B.C. RCMP’s southeast district, at a news conference in Chilliwack Wednesday evening.
“On Friday, Jan. 6, we became aware Staff Sgt. Stuart Seib stole and used drug exhibits,” said Sekela, adding that there were multiple thefts.
As a detachment commander, Seib would have had access to the evidence lockup where the cocaine was held.
Sekela said a team of six senior officers was immediately deployed to investigate the alleged thefts after Seib self-disclosed his actions to a fellow RCMP officer.
“We’ve taken prompt and decisive action,” said Sekela. “We had the entire team out there within days, were able to lay a charge, relieve [Seib] of duty, and initiate the process that’s so important to the public confidence that we require,” he said.
Seib is under recommendation of suspension without pay and has had his privileges and access to RCMP facilities revoked. Sekela said the suspension process should wrap up by Friday.
Investigators will go back over Seib’s 18-year RCMP career to determine whether any other offences may have taken place.
An audit of all exhibits formerly under Seib’s control will also take place.
“I understand that news like this is very concerning,” said Sekela. “These actions do not ... meet my expectations or those of the public.”

It makes you wonder,How much he stole before he finally got caught......

I'm sure the new RCMP boss is so proud

Cliffy
I really don't think this is an isolated incident. Drug evidence has gone missing in just about every case that I have heard of. I have been told by several people who were caught and tried that at least half the evidence taken never made it to court.

bill barilko
Quote: Originally Posted by CliffyView Post

.....this is an isolated incident. Drug evidence has gone missing in just about every case that I have heard of. I have been told by several people who were caught and tried that at least half the evidence taken never made it to court.

Drugs and money both-the RCMP is rotten through & through/has been since Day 1.