Banana Chucker Charged for Trespassing

TenPenny

Hall of Fame Member
Jun 9, 2004
Location, Location
Yes, I don't understand the 'trespass' charge. Littering would be more appropriate, but I guess they want to use trespass so they can ban him from the arena.

Spade

Ace Poster
Nov 18, 2008
Aether Island
Yes, I don't understand the 'trespass' charge. Littering would be more appropriate, but I guess they want to use trespass so they can ban him from the arena.
If I buy a ticket to an Aether Islanders game and pop a breath mint while in my seat, am I trespassing?

Spade

Ace Poster
Nov 18, 2008
Aether Island
I cannot comment on whether the banana were a racist gesture, but what about squid and octopus? Sushi N E 1?

NHL = No Hucking 'Llowed?
Checked a popular prayer...

Forgive us our trespasses..."

Perhaps the defence did not apprise the Crown of this exhortation?

Spade

Ace Poster
Nov 18, 2008
Aether Island
As a lad of 6 or 7, I used to cut across old man Keeny's yard to put pennies on the railroad tracks. The flattened pennies went further in a slingshot. Never was charged with trespassing.

Trebuchets are grand! Could pitch a cow quite a distance!

damngrumpy

Executive Branch Member
Mar 16, 2005
kelowna bc
Trespassing is the order of the day for public venue incidents. It is implied when you
purchase a ticket to a game in a public forum you are also expected to behave in a
respectful manner etc, etc, and if there is nothing else they use the trespass charge.
That also allows them to keep you out of the venue for as long as they like with having
to get a court order. This has been around for decades. Nearly four decades ago I
used to do play by play hockey in the junior leagues and they used trespass for
behavioral problems back then. It is a little used loophole but it works.

Cannuck

Time Out
Feb 2, 2006
Alberta
It would appear that the crime was that he threw something they didn't like onto the ice. I've never been given permission to throw a hat onto the ice. I better mind my P's and Q's

PoliticalNick

The Troll Bashing Troll
Mar 8, 2011
Edson, AB
I'm not sure I understand the trespass charge. Trespass is entering private property without permission with maliscious intent. He may have had the intent but if he had a ticket he had permission to be there. I would think public mischief would be the correct charge.

TenPenny

Hall of Fame Member
Jun 9, 2004
Location, Location
As a typical definition, here is the BC law on trespass:

4 (1) Subject to section 4.1, a person commits an offence if the person does any of the following:
(a) enters premises that are enclosed land;
(b) enters premises after the person has had notice from an occupier of the premises or an authorized person that the entry is prohibited;
(c) engages in activity on or in premises after the person has had notice from an occupier of the premises or an authorized person that the activity is prohibited.

Since everyone who goes to a hockey game is notified that throwing objects on the ice is prohibited, that fits the definition of 'trespass'.

I was curious, so I looked it up.

ironsides

Executive Branch Member
Feb 13, 2009
United States
To quote the news: "Moorhouse's act was called silly or stupid." That alone is worth the $200 fine. If not his banana was guilty.