Boreal ducks threatened by climate change

mentalfloss
Boreal ducks threatened by climate change
Ducks doomed by earlier snow melts brought on by global warming, study finds

Scientists long puzzled by the rapid decline in millions of Canadian boreal ducks since the 1970s think they may finally have the cause: global warming.

"Because of climate change, the ducks don't have the food that they need when they need it," Stuart Slattery, a research scientist with Ducks Unlimited Canada, told CBC News on Friday.

Slattery and a team of scientists from the University of British Columbia, the University of Saskatchewan and Environment Canada have long been trying to solve a mystery in Canada's boreal forests: why have two duck species, the scaup and scoter, dropped so dramatically in numbers — by 40 per cent and 60 per cent, respectively — in just three decades?

The scaup population, for instance, plunged from six million to 3 million.

Spring starting earlier

The team suspected the ducks' boreal wetland habitats were changing, so they examined snow cover data. That was when they made a startling discovery. "We found that over a 35-year period, that spring comes on average about 11 days earlier," Slattery said.

Slattery said that is a massive change. Low snow cover is directly linked with the drop in the ducks' survival.

Slattery said the world's warming trend interferes with a delicate timing in nature.

Migratory birds fly south in the fall and return just in time in the spring to feed on an abundance of insects. The duck mothers especially need this food while nesting in June. But now that the spring is arriving nearly two weeks sooner, the ducks fly in too late for the feast.

"As this mismatch gets worse, the ducklings are impacted the most," said Slattery. "The food just simply isn't there in the amounts that it was historically."

Other duck species adapting

Curiously, other duck species, such as the mallard, are adapting since they can migrate to nesting areas earlier in the year. But Slattery suspects the scaup and scoter have not developed that ability.

"They just get here late, and so they don't have a chance to re-nest like some of the other earlier nesting species do," he said. Slattery said society's continued use of fossil fuels is causing all these problems.

"We are experiencing climate change in a very real way. [Duck] populations are getting smaller and smaller," he said.

A recent Stanford and University of Toronto study found that 98 per cent of 1,300 scientists who publish papers on climate change agree that the world is warming, and humans are the cause.

Prairies smashing weather records

Slattery said science has documented numerous examples of climate change interfering with wildlife, including mosquitoes, tree swallows, polar bears and ringed seals.

The study comes at a time when the Prairie provinces are smashing warmth records for January. Some Manitoba communities hit highs between 6.7 C and 11 C on Thursday.

Slattery said our warming world is only adding to other environmental stresses for duck habitat, including farming and industry. The scaup and scoter ducks nest throughout the western boreal region, from Yukon and Northwest Territories to northern British Columbia, Alberta, Saskatchewan and Manitoba.

The research team's report was first published on the website of the journal Global Change Biology in October.

Boreal ducks threatened by climate change - Manitoba - CBC News

petros
+3 / -1
#2  Top Rated Post
****ing hilarious.

You better donate to DU flossy. DU needs to own more land.

DaSleeper
+2
Quote: Originally Posted by petrosView Post

****ing hilarious.

You better donate to DU flossy. DU needs to own more land.

No No No...Donate to me..I have just found out that my gout could be caused by global warming...ooops ..I mean "climate change".

And don't argue with that....everything is caused by global warming...don't you know??

petros
+1
Of course it is especially since spring now starts on March 10th.

taxslave
Some major flaws in this so called study. Most importantly is the number of ducks returning in the spring. What happens to them while on winter vacation?

petros
Ducks Unlimited's membership is plummeting just as fast as the Saskatchewan ring seal population and thus so is funding.

Quote:

Prairies smashing weather records

Slattery said science has documented numerous examples of climate change interfering with wildlife, including mosquitoes, tree swallows, polar bears and ringed seals.

Quote: Originally Posted by taxslaveView Post

Some major flaws in this so called study. Most importantly is the number of ducks returning in the spring. What happens to them while on winter vacation?

Mexican drug cartels are harassing ducks.

Proud Sponsors of D.U. .... Black Cloud - Home (external - login to view)

Join DU now so more ducks can be hunted.

captain morgan
+1
Quote: Originally Posted by taxslaveView Post

I wonder if DU did a study on the effects on the ducks as they fly down 12-Guage Alley on their way home?

Edit:
Damn Petros... Ya beat me to it!

petros
Of course. They recommend Black Cloud Ammo so you can "drop ducks like rain". I found their ad on the DU website.

This is nifty...

Mobile Apps

Follow the migration from your mobile device (external - login to view) this season! DU has just released new apps for the iPhone and Android platforms. These apps will include thousands of real-time reports from the migration map and allow you to search by location, submit reports and more.

View Migration Apps (external - login to view) | View All DU Apps (external - login to view)

Ultimate Waterfowler's Resource

Waterfowl Migration Headquarters

Ducks Unlimited is your waterfowl migration headquarters (external - login to view) this hunting season. And this year, we've developed a host of new resources to help you follow the ducks like never before, including a new migration map (external - login to view) and mobile apps (external - login to view).

Read more (external - login to view)

For people who like to say the ducks are doomed they sure promote hunting.

petros
They have those too!

www.ducks.org/migrationmap/?poe=migrationHQ (external - login to view)

Migration Resources
  • Waterfowl Migration Map (external - login to view)
  • Migration Mobile Apps (external - login to view)
  • Weather Conditions (external - login to view)
  • Migration Alerts (external - login to view)
  • Migration Field Editors (external - login to view)
  • Mallard Observation Network (external - login to view)
  • DU Migration Headquarters (external - login to view)

captain morgan
+1
It would be extra helpful if DU also provided some detailed maps of the nesting areas of the ducks and maybe the historical flight paths

Edit:
Damn - ya did it again!

petros
I'd like to try their duck stew recipe.

It's savory.......

www.ducks.org/hunting/recipes...oe=recentadded (external - login to view)

DaSleeper
+1
Went duck hunting "once", a long time ago, found out I don't much like duck meat, and since my hunting is for food and not for sport and I don't like duck meat, I never went again.....

petros
Quote: Originally Posted by DaSleeperView Post

Went duck hunting "once", a long time ago, found out I don't much like duck meat, and since my hunting is for food and not for sport and I don't like duck meat, I never went again.....

Maybe try the DU stew?

mentalfloss
+1
I hope you guys realize that I am think about you when I post these threads.

DaSleeper

Maybe try the DU stew?

I tried different ways of cooking it at the time but didn't much like it, The same with venison, couldn't aquire a taste for it.
But I will eat Moose, beaver, rabbit, ect... and I seem to be one of the few who likes spruce grouse...guess it's just a mater of taste.....

petros
+2
Quote: Originally Posted by mentalflossView Post

I hope you guys realize that I am think about you when I post these threads.

I am think about you too.

I tried different ways of cooking it at the time but didn't much like it, The same with venison, couldn't aquire a taste for it.
But I will eat Moose, beaver, rabbit, ect... and I seem to be one of the few who likes spruce grouse...guess it's just a mater of taste.....

Smoked duck is incredible.

DaSleeper
+1

I am think about you too.

Smoked duck is incredible.

That's one way I've never tried....smoked wild geese is good with beer...but again smoked anything is good with beer

petros

That's one way I've never tried....smoked wild geese is good with beer...but again smoked anything is good with beer

I wonder if beer can duck is as good as beer can chicken?

DaSleeper
??

petros
+1
You've never heard of beer can chicken?

BBQ Beer Can Chicken - YouTube

darkbeaver
The species in question is a natural organic victim of evolution. Science discovers ducks are subject to evolution and thus extinction. This is simply a case of mother nature failing an underperforming species. We have much the same problem with the northern teddy bears. I hope something tastier replaces them.