Thomas Collins Makes the Cardinals

Spade
Pope names Toronto archbishop as cardinal - Canada - CBC News
Toronto Archbishop Thomas Collins seems like a decent chap. His appointment is a feather in his red galero! Collins was among a number of new Papal appointees.

Shortly afterwards Harper appoints seven new senators. I am NOT suggesting a connexion.
Harper names 7 new senators (external - login to view)
A decent number...

JLM
Quote: Originally Posted by SpadeView Post

Pope names Toronto archbishop as cardinal - Canada - CBC News
Toronto Archbishop Thomas Collins seems like a decent chap. His appointment is a feather in his red galero! Collins was among a number of new Papal appointees.

Shortly afterwards Harper appoints seven new senators. I am NOT suggesting a connexion.
Harper names 7 new senators (external - login to view)
A decent number...

Oh, the Pope is into baseball now!

Spade
+1
The Pope is the manager of the Cardinals

Harper is the manager of the Senators.

Retired_Can_Soldier
+1
Hockey players against Baseball players. There;s going to be spit and blood in the dugout and on the ice.

And Tom Collins does seem like a real descent sort.

JLM
+1

The Pope is the manager of the Cardinals

Harper is the manager of the Senators.

Obama is the manager of the Capitals!

Spade
+2
#6  Top Rated Post
As I said, there is no connexion.

Collins is a decent sort. His views are conservative, but that is not surprising as Pope Benedict is a conservative pope. The Pope understandably appoints like-minded people to positions of power within the Church. It is the Pope's prerogative. The Church is not a democratic institution. The laity does not elect the leadership. I suppose in an ideal world, they would. After all, I have always found Canadian Catholics to be very progressive in their views, most supporting a married priesthood and women in positions of authority. My only concern is, can a conservative cardinal represent fairly the aspirations of these Canadian Catholics?

The new senators are decent sorts. They are Conservatives appointed by a Conservative prime minister. This is the way the system works. However, in a democracy, one would hope that these appointees would represent fairly the aspirations of their regions and the majority of Canadians who did not vote for the Prime Minister or his Government. In a democracy, senators would be elected; I believe the theory is called Representative Government.

No connexion...but, analogies.

Quote: Originally Posted by JLMView Post

Obama is the manager of the Capitals!

And, not just Washington.

JLM

And, not just Washington.

Ya mean like Montgomery, Phoenix, Little Rock................................?

Spade
Those and further

gerryh
+2

My only concern is, can a conservative cardinal represent fairly the aspirations of these Canadian Catholics?

It's not his "job" to represent the "aspirations" of "these" Canadian Catholics. It is his job to lead and tender to his "flock". Showing them the way to God's glory through Jesus Christ. To ensure that the Bishops that he is responsible for are doing their job of ensuring the priests are doing their job of passing along the Churches teachings to the "laity". The Cardinal will be representing the Holy Roman Catholic Church.

Spade
My thesis exactly, Gerry. It is not a democratic institution.

gerryh
and it's not suppose to be.

Spade
Gerry, why did I use the juxtaposition?

Kreskin
+1
Does he drink gin?

Spade
Don't drink and pontificate.

Spade
“Because he is an advisor to the pope he would speak even more fully on behalf of the pope in many ways,” Noon said. “And he has that influence in Rome now as a papal advisor. He will be on various commissions over there, so it will give him a voice speaking on behalf of the Canadian church.”
- Guelph Mercury quoting Rev. Dennis Noon