Beat it, Christians!

Just the Facts
Years of killings, bombings and burning of churches, Christians now given 3 days to leave Nigeria's north.
I'm sure this can all be explained away as a perfectly understandable reaction to U.S. foreign policy.

http://edition.cnn.com/2012/01/02/world/africa/nigeria-sectarian-divisions/ (external - login to view)

lone wolf
+1
#2  Top Rated Post
Nah.... Once hate sets in, anything is suitable for biting

Just the Facts
Quote: Originally Posted by lone wolfView Post

Nah.... Once hate sets in, anything is suitable for biting

Exactly. But what source the hate? What would drive neighbors to kill neighbors?

Johnnny
Kinda nuts if you ask me.... I thought the world got over the idea of waging wars over religon.... Didnt we learn from the crusades and the Inquisition...... Well mabye Christians did....

If these guys are linked to Al-Queda then they should be run out of the country...

taxslave
Quote: Originally Posted by Just the FactsView Post

Exactly. But what source the hate? What would drive neighbors to kill neighbors?

My religion is better than yours usually does the trick.

L Gilbert
Quote: Originally Posted by Just the FactsView Post

The usual .... politics and/or religion.

Goober
Quote: Originally Posted by L GilbertView Post

The usual .... politics and/or religion.

Mainly Muslim North, mainly Christian South - I have been saying for years Nigeria will split along Religious lines.

damngrumpy
+1
Religion and war go hand in hand even today. The Muslims in North Africa and the
Middle East. The Christians in other parts of the world, and the Jews in many cases
now persecute the Palestinians within their boarders. No not as religious reprisals
but because they are not part of the Jewish society which amounts to the same thing.
If you watch the elections in America it cannot be missed the social conservative agenda
is about controlling the nation using religion, in this instance the Christian religion.
None of this is conducive to having a better world regardless of who is doing what to whom.
I have always believed that once any group wants to use violence or the political agenda
to control others by their narrow scope of tolerance the cause for that group is eventually
lost. A case in point is Europe and America, including Canada for decades imposed the
moral statute on the nation and all had to comply. Movies, Books Music, Marriage laws
and so on. Everything from divorce to gay sex was legislated. The result was different
in each case but the rebellion was the same. Every society turned on the churches and
the governments that made the laws. Turmoil and upheaval came and went. At one
point in Britain, Oliver Cromwell imposed a religious view on the people and within five
short years he ended up on the wrong end of a piece of rope as it were.
In North America I point to the Sixties as a prime example of people telling the church
and the governmental society to go to hell.
Now we are watching the next phase of religious revolution taking flight. A few short
months ago we were all cheering on the Arab Spring. Now it appears the participants
may have been led by the Islamic Brotherhood and the fostering of their nationalist views
may be taking flight. I should caution that not all Arabs or Muslims subscribe to the
more radical groups, but a mob mentality appears to be raising its ugly head. Each nation
evolves in its own way and the more interruptions the rest of the world imposes only delays
the eventual course of history, it rarely alters it though on a permanent bases. I hope the
country is strong enough to repel the Islamic militants otherwise there could well be another
blood bath for Africa, and once again the world may be forced to act, or should I say react.
Why is it that we always react with military force without the addition of education as part
of the equation?

JLM
Quote: Originally Posted by damngrumpyView Post

Religion and war go hand in hand even today. The Muslims in North Africa and the
Middle East. The Christians in other parts of the world, and the Jews in many cases
now persecute the Palestinians within their boarders.

Is it "religion" or is it wingbats who use religion for ulterior motives or use it to try to justify bad behaviour?

L Gilbert
+1
Quote: Originally Posted by JLMView Post

Is it "religion" or is it wingbats who use religion for ulterior motives or use it to try to justify bad behaviour?

That would depend upon what the religion wishes its congregation to do in order to be good. If the religion calls for murder, then it isn't just the person who murders that's at fault.

JLM

That would depend upon what the religion wishes its congregation to do in order to be good. If the religion calls for murder, then it isn't just the person who murders that's at fault.

But the "mission statement" for most religions comes from man not God. For Christianity I'm happy with the Golden Rule & more or less ignore all the other jibberish, contrived by man, who most times are just controlling anyway!

damngrumpy
+1
Despite all our protestations, religion is a manifestation or extension of the state.
Its either the recognized religion or the lack of a religion in a Communist State.
but its a religion of sorts either. Governments around the world have used either
faith or fear, to achieve their ultimate ends. When governments become to
powerful or too weak to stand up to the prevailing religion of the day then the
trouble begins. This is a classic case of that happening. In the western nations
I agree its mostly the wing bats, but when things go wrong and the wing nuts
have a chance to form power they are just as dangerous as any other country.
Case in point, if the radical Christian Republicans were to gain power, it would
become a matter of faith over common sense and anything goes in that kind
of circumstance. All you have to do is listen to the folks who espouse the
Christians for Zion, and they are scattered through all kinds of evangelical groups.
In short they are nuts. They support them because the Israelis and Arabs will
fight and then Christ comes back with the Rapture and all the Christians take over
the world in a thousand year reign with Christ as the boss. That may not be the
whole story, but its a shortened version of the belief system. Tell me, that giving
these people power, in America is not dangerous.

L Gilbert
+1
Quote: Originally Posted by JLMView Post

But the "mission statement" for most religions comes from man not God.

Possibly, but that's fairly irrelevant. What the faithful THINK is what IS relevant and if they THINK their god(s) command them to do whatever, then they (or at least some of them) will do whatever.
Quote:

For Christianity I'm happy with the Golden Rule & more or less ignore all the other jibberish, contrived by man, who most times are just controlling anyway!

Yeah. I'm pretty much a liber-humani-tarian, too.

Quote: Originally Posted by damngrumpyView Post

In the western nations
I agree its mostly the wing bats, but when things go wrong and the wing nuts
have a chance to form power they are just as dangerous as any other country.

I much prefer bats over nuts. They are predictable and you can fool them during daylight hours. lol

JLM

I much prefer bats over nuts. They are predictable and you can fool them during daylight hours. lol

Yeah, but nuts are more edible............in daylight or darkness!

L Gilbert
true, but they don't eat bugs.

gopher
+1
Still another reason why every society should practice disestablishment.

In Between Man
double post

Cliffy
Quote: Originally Posted by In Between ManView Post

double post

Where's the first one?

Michael Jackson - Beat It - YouTube (external - login to view)