Federal vs Provincial Stat Holidays

dumpthemonarchy

House Member
Jan 18, 2005
Vancouver
www.cynicsunlimited.com
I heard on 1040 Team radio this morning that Monday, January 1st will be a stat holiday. That is true if your job is with a company that is federally regulated, which broadcasting is, so this commentator gets the day off. This not the way for most of us. We get the New Year's Day holiday with no extra pay or an extra day off.

However, if you work for a provincially regulated corporation, then you do not get Monday off, or any extra pay at all. People think moving holidays like Christmas, Rememberance Day or New Year's Day fall on a weekend, they get the following Monday off, this is not so in British Columbia. You get nothing in BC if a holiday falls on a weekend.

This is unequal. Employees working for federally regulated corporations get more time off with pay. This is very English, two classes of workers in the country. This should be changed so everyone gets the same days off with pay.

CDNBear

Custom Troll
Sep 24, 2006
Ontario
Dumpster, can you fight for the self employed too?

I don't get any holiday pay at all. I have to rely on savings when jobs close down for holidays.

TenPenny

Hall of Fame Member
Jun 9, 2004
Location, Location
I heard on 1040 Team radio this morning that Monday, January 1st will be a stat holiday. That is true if your job is with a company that is federally regulated, which broadcasting is, so this commentator gets the day off. This not the way for most of us. We get the New Year's Day holiday with no extra pay or an extra day off.

However, if you work for a provincially regulated corporation, then you do not get Monday off, or any extra pay at all. People think moving holidays like Christmas, Rememberance Day or New Year's Day fall on a weekend, they get the following Monday off, this is not so in British Columbia. You get nothing in BC if a holiday falls on a weekend.

This is unequal. Employees working for federally regulated corporations get more time off with pay. This is very English, two classes of workers in the country. This should be changed so everyone gets the same days off with pay.

First off, 'Monday Jan 1st' ... what year are you talking about?

Second, I think you're wrong about Jan 1 being a stat in BC. From the Gov't of BC website:

The nine statutory holidays in British Columbia are:

• New Years Day
  • Good Friday
  • Victoria Day
  • Canada Day
  • B.C. Day
  • Labour Day
  • Thanksgiving Day
  • Remembrance Day
  • Christmas Day
Easter Sunday, Easter Monday and Boxing Day are not statutory holidays

CDNBear

Custom Troll
Sep 24, 2006
Ontario
First off, 'Monday Jan 1st' ... what year are you talking about?

Second, I think you're wrong about Jan 1 being a stat in BC. From the Gov't of BC website:

The nine statutory holidays in British Columbia are:

• New Years Day
  • Good Friday
  • Victoria Day
  • Canada Day
  • B.C. Day
  • Labour Day
  • Thanksgiving Day
  • Remembrance Day
  • Christmas Day
Easter Sunday, Easter Monday and Boxing Day are not statutory holidays
Aren't those one in the same?

I'm not sure about BC, but in the past here in Ontario, the stat holiday was applied to the Friday prior to, or the Monday following, if it fell on a weekend.

Yep, here it is in the link...

Substituting statutory holidays

An employer and a majority of employees can agree to substitute another day off for a statutory holiday. The Act and Regulation apply to the substitute day as if it were the statutory holiday.
And even if they make you work the whole week...

Statutory holiday on a day off

When an employee is given a day off on a statutory holiday, or it falls on a regular day off, an eligible employee is entitled to be paid an average day’s pay.
An average day’s pay is calculated by dividing “total wages” earned in the 30 calendar days before the statutory holiday by the number of days worked. Vacation days taken during this period count as days worked.
“Total wages” includes wages, commissions, statutory holiday pay and vacation pay but does not include overtime pay.
So I'm not sure what dumpster is going on about.

Last edited:

CDNBear

Custom Troll
Sep 24, 2006
Ontario
Monday would be the in lieu of day. But you're right, still doesn't change the "2nd" to the "1st", at least not on my calendar.
That's the term I was looking for. It's been so long since I've had the privilege.

eh1eh

Blah Blah Blah
Aug 31, 2006
Under a Lone Palm
Sunday, Jan 1, 2012, is the holiday. Monday, Jan 2, 2012 is not a holiday. People in BC, who work in provincially regulated businesses have to work Monday with no extra pay. There's no day in lieu. Nothing. Unfair.

Your employer is ripping you off. Go complain to the labor board or something. I pay my employees 8 hours pay for all 'statutory' holidays even if they fall on a Sunday.

taxslave

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 25, 2008
Vancouver Island
Sunday, Jan 1, 2012, is the holiday. Monday, Jan 2, 2012 is not a holiday. People in BC, who work in provincially regulated businesses have to work Monday with no extra pay. There's no day in lieu. Nothing. Unfair.

Go read the labour act. If the holiday falls on a sunday you either get monday for the stat or you get paid for sunday. Now there is some wording in there about OT if the stat is your normal work day but you still get paid for it.

dumpthemonarchy

House Member
Jan 18, 2005
Vancouver
www.cynicsunlimited.com
Go read the labour act. If the holiday falls on a sunday you either get monday for the stat or you get paid for sunday. Now there is some wording in there about OT if the stat is your normal work day but you still get paid for it.

Employment Standards Act

Right here is says nothing of the sort. In a business I was working in 2011, they got the Sunday dec 25, 2012 off, like they usually do, but they had to work on Monday, Dec 26. No time off for Xmas. They were not happy.

JLM

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 27, 2008
Vernon, B.C.

What time zone is that in? :lol:

I'm pretty sure where a stat falls on a Saturday or Sunday you do get an extra day off in lieu. Now, the question is which holidays are stats? Easter Monday apparently isn't for most employers. Nov. 11 is doubtful too. But I'm sure New Years Day is pretty well sacred (even though it means nothing more than another page on a calendar) :lol: