Manning on Trial, but Assange is the Target

Ocean Breeze

Hall of Fame Member
Jun 5, 2005
It’s Bradley Manning’s Trial, But Assange is the Target

Accused of the biggest intelligence leak in American history, Bradley Manning will begin the first stages of his military trial on Friday. But U.S. prosecutors are really trying to indict Julian Assange, who published Manning’s leaks. Investigators have been scrutinizing the details of the case in an attempt to hustle Assange into legal culpability, but the confidentiality protocols inherent in WikiLeak’s procedures as well as the fact that he did no different than many other major journalistic outlets, may prevent the predatory government from silencing Assange.

It’s Bradley Manning’s Trial, But Assange is the Target -- News from Antiwar.com

where excessive 'secrecy" meets freedom of the press and the importance of Truth. Freedom of information (accurate) to the public factors in too.

but the predator is pissed .....so it has to have a couple of fall guys. Gives "justice" a whole new meaning.-one with prehistoric overtones .and die hard revenge.

No justice for Bradley Manning

The US government has made an example of Bradley Manning to prevent others from challenging the American empire.

By Charles Davis

December 16, 2011 "Al Jazeera" - - Washington, DC - Private Bradley Manning was just 22 years old when he allegedly leaked hundreds of thousands of US State Department cables and video evidence of war crimes to the whistle-blowing website WikiLeaks. For that act of courage that revealed to the world the true face of the American empire, he faces the prospect of spending the rest of his life in prison.
After waiting more than 18 months, half of which he spent in torturous solitary confinement that he was only removed from after an international outcry and the resignation of a top State Department official, Manning is finally getting a shot at justice - if we can think of a military court as justice - when his case moves to the pre-trial hearing phase this Friday. But whether Manning is ultimately found guilty or not is beside the point: All one needs to know about American justice is that if he had murdered civilians and desecrated their corpses - if he had the moral capacity to commit war crimes, not the audacity to expose them - he'd be better off today.

Indeed, if Manning had merely murdered the nameless, faceless "other", as his Army colleagues on the notorious Afghan "Kill Team" did, he would not have had his right to a speedy trial blatantly violated. If Manning had intentionally killed unarmed civilians, posed for pictures with their dead bodies and slashed their fingers off as souvenirs, he would not have had his guilt publicly pronounced by his own commander-in-chief, President Barack Obama, months before he so much as saw the inside of a military court. If he had killed poor foreigners instead of exposing their deaths, he might even stand a chance of getting out of prison while still a young man.

** No justice for Bradley Manning:* Information Clearing House

IF history is allowed to be documented objectively.....this young chap will be the hero that he is. But given the way things are going.......history will be spun to suit the empire's slant.

The empire has done many sickening and inhumane things in recent years......but this one warrants a special consideration as it is a clear message to americans. and just where their so called liberties end. (the same liberties they have boasted about for as long as they existed as a union. and the ones they are gradually, and willingly helping erode on the basis of "security".

.........The things that have been done through out history and continue to be done in the name of national security are evidenced for all to see.

this is not "justice" .......it is the powers that be getting their pound of flesh in the most painful way.

the issue is that if what has been exposed is the tip of the iceberg, one would be beyond horrified to see and read the remaining secrets that the empire engages in.

Ocean Breeze

Hall of Fame Member
Jun 5, 2005
I repeat myself when under stress.

the operative question, my dear Petros is: Do YOU believe Manning will get a true and FAIR , objective trial. And tell us why or why not. thx.

Colpy

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 5, 2005
Saint John, N.B.
the operative question, my dear Petros is: Do YOU believe Manning will get a true and FAIR , objective trial. And tell us why or why not. thx.

Yes.

Because it will be heavily publicized.

Absolutely!

And he should have a fair and open trial.....just before they find him guilty and shoot him.

Oh, sorry, they don't do that anymore.

75 years is, from what I understand, the maximum sentence.

Sounds about right.

I wonder how many good people, friends and allies of the west, have been murdered because of this pissant.

Goober

Hall of Fame Member
Jan 23, 2009
Moving

His trail will be more fair than the information that you posted on this thread. Problem having different opinions on a thread or is it just another Hate the US thread again and again and again. I believe 90% of your threads are Anti US -Seems that your hatred is clear - Your one sided opinion is more than clear -But sadly your ability to think rationally is less than clear.

Now we know that the US will one day have Assange fall into their hands. Then another trial.

petros

The Central Scrutinizer
Nov 21, 2008
Low Earth Orbit

Cat's foot iron claw
Neuro-surgeons scream for more
At paranoia's poison door.
Twenty first century schizoid man.

Blood rack barbed wire
Politicians' funeral pyre
Innocents raped with napalm fire

Death seed blind man's greed
Poets' starving children bleed
Nothing he's got he really needs

Playing Fripp will make you fingers bleed.

Ocean Breeze

Hall of Fame Member
Jun 5, 2005
Absolutely!

And he should have a fair and open trial.....just before they find him guilty and shoot him.

Oh, sorry, they don't do that anymore.

75 years is, from what I understand, the maximum sentence.

Sounds about right.

I wonder how many good people, friends and allies of the west, have been murdered because of this pissant.

How do you know for a FACT that there is any correlation between the information leaks and any murders ??? Mind you , you did say, you "wonder".......which leaves the area subject to question. Assumptions should be avoided at all costs.

One key question all this raises is: Do YOU WANT TO KNOW what the gov't chooses to keep "secret" and what real basis is used as a justification?? Is transparency of gov't just a cute little phrase with little substansive meaning??

the othe question is: How much secrecy is too much ??? (in what is claiming to be a republic democracy)

damngrumpy

Executive Branch Member
Mar 16, 2005
kelowna bc
There should be truth in media but not the truth we might be talking about here. It is wrong to
print lies, liable and mistruth about a given situation or person. When the facts that are secret
at published that puts our operatives at risk, or the nation itself at risk that is a different matter.
I don't believe we should be publishing the secrets of our nation or anyone Else's when has
so many consequences.
This guy and the entire outlet will get what is coming to them and I for one have no sympathy
for the lot of them.

Ocean Breeze

Hall of Fame Member
Jun 5, 2005
Given that he is nuts and it went un-noticed by his C.O. I'm on the fence.

IF he is "nuts" .........is it because of the treatment he has had since his imprisonment??? Not many people could handle that kind of treatment without developing psychological problems. How often has he been seen by a therapist?

petros

The Central Scrutinizer
Nov 21, 2008
Low Earth Orbit
I never for one minute believed the WMD lie which inflammed the masses to go to war. If people fell for that they are only taking their anger out on a crazy kid who cracked under pressure.

He failed his commanders and his commanders failed him.

Ocean Breeze

Hall of Fame Member
Jun 5, 2005
There should be truth in media but not the truth we might be talking about here. It is wrong to
print lies, liable and mistruth about a given situation or person. When the facts that are secret
at published that puts our operatives at risk, or the nation itself at risk that is a different matter.
I don't believe we should be publishing the secrets of our nation or anyone Else's when has
so many consequences.
This guy and the entire outlet will get what is coming to them and I for one have no sympathy
for the lot of them.

What method do you propose to expose truths that indicate actions of gross inhumanity , crimes of war, torture etc?? Or do you condone those behaviors as a price to pay for the delusion of security??

I never for one minute believed the WMD lie which inflammed the masses to go to war. If people fell for that they are only taking their anger out on a crazy kid who cracked under pressure.

He failed his commanders and his commanders failed him.

Seems he knew the risk he was taking and took it anyhow. In many folks minds that would be an act of heroism. exposing the truth is also an act of heroism. (but it seems this kind of exposure is just fine as long as it is not the USG that is being exposed. What's wrong with that picture??

either we have transparency (allowing a margin , carefully defined for what is withheld for true national security ......or we have something else altogether. In current times........we have the "something else " which is still being defined .

********of course I too did not believe the WMD lie or any lie that came afterward. How that "drums for war " played out.....was the main reason, that the US lost credibilty. I remember being stunned at the gall and arrogance that accompanied the LIE (s) Lies that were behind the slaughter of so many.

Last edited:

mentalfloss

Prickly Curmudgeon Smiter
Jun 28, 2010

I REPEAT!

Holy carp, I almost missed a KC reference in a thread.

Thank you for this wonderful post.

Colpy

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 5, 2005
Saint John, N.B.
“That man did something very wrong,” said Mandie Stanley, a 19-year-old who lives on the Army post with her husband, a member of the Air Force. She spotted the protesters and decided to come out with a sign that said:

“Don't leak classified information, stupid!”

Ocean Breeze

Hall of Fame Member
Jun 5, 2005
Manning Defense Reveals Chaotic Situation at Iraq Base

Rules 'Violated on a Daily Basis,' Officials Confirm

by Jason Ditz, December 18, 2011

The defense of Pfc. Bradley Manning on charges of mishandling classified data is proving even more embarrassing for officials than anyone anticipated, as evidence of the chaotic situation at Manning’s base and the routine ignoring of classified data rules emerged.
One civilian contractor working at the base even reported that other members of Manning’s brigade routinely used password cracking programs to gain administrator access to classified computers to install games and other programs

Manning Defense Reveals Chaotic Situation at Iraq Base -- News from Antiwar.com

this "trial" should prove to be even more revealing as to how things really were and are. Might be very embarrassing for the empire....IF she gets embarrassed at all anymore.

can anyone on here think of a smarter way the information could have been accessed for the many ugly truths to emerg??

Or do folks like to be treated like the dumbed down population they seem to be?? Maybe the real issue is that folks do not want to hear the truths as they are too harsh. and challenging to swallow. (and go against the image that needs to be maintained.)

History usually determines folks like him & Assange rather Brave for going against tradition / rules in order to reveal truths... but in the current atmosphere truths have little value