Money Buys Exoneration in Whistler Dog Brutalisation Scandal

bill barilko

Senate Member
Mar 4, 2009
Vancouver-by-the-Sea
We all know what happened and this is how it's resolved-the guy with the money walks free with a charitable donation tax credit-his accountants must love him.The dead dogs are just that-dead and forgotten.

Whistler company condemned for sled dog massacre gives operation to charity

Sled dogs from Outdoor Adventures Whistler, the tour company in Whistler, B.C. that ordered the killing of 52 dogs when bookings slumped after the Olympic Games in Vancouver.

The embattled Whistler Outdoor Adventures, which came under worldwide condemnation after the massacre of many of its sled dogs in April, 2010, announced today it is gifting its entire sled dog operation to a newly created not-for-profit foundation.

The Sled Dog Foundation will own the company's surviving 153 dogs, the land leases, kennels and equipment and plan to give all of the profits towards the improvement of animal welfare of sled dogs.

Whistler Outdoor Adventures owner Joey Houssian had suspended his company's sled dog division after the killings became public knowledge and previously told the media he took "moral responsibility" for the dogs' deaths.

It was initially believed 100 sled dogs had been massacred after Bob Fawcett, who ran the company's sled dog division at the time, filed a workers compensation claim for post-traumatic stress. In that report it was detailed how Fawcett killed the chained dogs in front of each other either by shooting them or slitting their throats before burying them in a mass grave. When the BC SPCA conducted an investigation only 52 dogs were found in the grave on the Pemberton crown land compound where the dogs lived.

"The allegations about how the sled dogs were treated came as a great shock to me and my staff," said Houssian in Wednesday's press release. "Since then, and after significant research and consultation with animal welfare experts, academics and others, my team concluded that we would try to influence positive change for the industry and for the welfare of sled dogs. We believe the creation of this Foundation is the best way to achieve this."

Foundation director Stephanie McDonald, who is a CEO on the Board of the Edmonton Humane Society, welcomed the gift as a "great first start."

"The enduring revenue generated by the sled dog operating company creates the opportunity to establish world-leading practices and to provide educational opportunities at a grass roots level on a national scale," she stated in the release.

The other board members of the newly created foundation include Sue Eckersley, a Whistler business leader who also serves on the Board of Directors of Whistler Animals Galore, the local animal shelter and Whistler veterinarian Dr. David Lane, owner of Coast Mountain Veterinary Hospital who has worked for Whistler Outdoor Adventures for the past 19 years.

The sled dog deaths sparked changes to B.C.'s animal cruelty laws after a provincial Sled Dog Task Force was struck and made its recommendations a year after the massacre in April, 2011.

Fines for animal abuse for the most serious offenders rose from a maximum of $10,000 to $75,000 and jail sentences increased from six months to two years. To date, no charges have been laid.

CDNBear

Custom Troll
Sep 24, 2006
Ontario
It really was senseless.
I'm not denying that. But I can understand the owners predicament. A simple remedy would have been to slaughter the dogs and offer the meat to any in the Asian community that wanted it.

I refused to kill Coyotes for years, because I wouldn't eat the meat. I have a Korean gentleman in Markham that takes the meat and I give the pelts to a friend that tans them for native art and crafts, or I tan them myself and make gifts for people.

Last edited:

Nuggler

kind and gentle
Feb 27, 2006
Backwater, Ontario.
8O.................Joey Houssian"..........Now, faith and begora, what part of dear old Ireland would he be from??

We usta know a Seamus O'Houssian. And a Patrick McHoussian. Joey...............nope. that dog killin bastard.........never heard of him.

O'Toole..........Are ye sure he's Irish.???

If me an the lads had been there at the time we would have done our very best to see him "altered"........an we ain't talkin church.............to call him a son of a b itch would be insulting to most sons a bitches.

Last edited:

shadowshiv

Dark Overlord
May 29, 2007
I'm not denying that. But I can understand the owners predicament. A simple remedy would have been to slaughter the dogs and offer the meat to any in the Asian community that wanted it.

I refused to kill Coyotes for years, because I wouldn't eat the meat. I have a Korean gentleman in Markham that takes the meat and I give the pelts to a friend that tans them for native art and crafts, or I tan them myself and make gifts for people.

I wish that he would have at least gotten some time in jail, even just as a deterrent for the next person that may think of doing the same thing. It's a shame that something couldn't have been done to at least lessen the slaughter that occurred.

As an aside, I imagine that your gifts would look pretty cool, Bear.

CDNBear

Custom Troll
Sep 24, 2006
Ontario
I wish that he would have at least gotten some time in jail, even just as a deterrent for the next person that may think of doing the same thing. It's a shame that something couldn't have been done to at least lessen the slaughter that occurred.
I'm not comfortable saying all sled dogs are alike. But I have experience with them and they aren't house pets. They're power tools.

I do not disagree that it is a sad waste of life. It truly is.

As an aside, I imagine that your gifts would look pretty cool, Bear.
They aren't bad for a bunch of amateurs like us. My youngest is fleshing another deer hide now. That makes two for the year. These will probably go to the youth program.

shadowshiv

Dark Overlord
May 29, 2007
I'm not comfortable saying all sled dogs are alike. But I have experience with them and they aren't house pets. They're power tools.

I do not disagree that it is a sad waste of life. It truly is.

They aren't bad for a bunch of amateurs like us. My youngest is fleshing another deer hide now. That makes two for the year. These will probably go to the youth program.

I agree about them not necessarily being suitable as pets, but I wish there had been something that could have gotten done. Perhaps donate them to other companies(I realize that sending them to the competition is not the ideal situation, but it would be preferred to killing them all)? A sad situation to be sure.

CDNBear

Custom Troll
Sep 24, 2006
Ontario
I agree about them not necessarily being suitable as pets, but I wish there had been something that could have gotten done. Perhaps donate them to other companies(I realize that sending them to the competition is not the ideal situation, but it would be preferred to killing them all)? A sad situation to be sure.
Sometimes putting them down is the only viable option. My Grandfather had to do it, more than a few times.

But to just waste them like that, is terrible.

....and sometimes they're way to smart for their own good.

They can adapt though if given the choice, and a desire
to change.
There has to be something in them that wants to be a pet. You also need space to run them. And a sh!t load of patience to help them in their transition.

We had a sled dog as a pet. An M'lute/Timber cross. She was given up, because she wouldn't team when hooked up. She wanted to do what she wanted to do. But put her on a leash, and she thought she should pull. She was whistle trained, and understood French commands, marche, and arret. Seemed to talk to me whenever she saw me. And was without a doubt, the best, most loyal, trustworthy, and loving dog I have EVER known.

When I brought her home from Manitoba, at eight months of age, we tried to make her a house pet. Fail. She ate everything. And refused to be house trained. She eventually got pneumonia and created a huge vet bill. She was built to be outside, and that's where she wanted to be. We lived in the country and she had all the space she needed to run. And run she did. Well that and dig huge holes.

At two, she weighed 120lbs, could put her head on top of my head when she stood on her hind legs. Looked through your very soul with her golden eyes. Could scare anyone she didn't know with the simple curl of her lip, big teeth and a quiet growl. But was the most gentle, and protective four legged guardian, my boys had ever known. When they were dirty, she'd pin them down and bathe them, when she had a litter, they were the only ones allowed in her den with her pups. Only they could play with her food, while her own pups were admonished for doing so.

On two occasions she protected her people from other dogs, though she couldn't fight, despite her size. Her tactic, was to run away, turn and at full speed, bowl them over, repeatedly, until they relented.

A master hunter, not a small animal was safe within the range of her nose, including cats. I tried hard to train her to course rabbits, and when I thought she was capable of helping me bag the tasty critters, I took her coursing. I was right, she was ready. She flushed a huge rabbit from the scrub. Put the chase on it, I waited where I stood for the rabbit to circle back, as they do. Only to see the rabbit again, for a few seconds, before he zigged, when he should have zagged, and was done for. I never got a shot off. And before I could call her off, she'd eaten his entrails, and began to work on the meaty bits. I figured she'd worked for it, it was hers.

My oldest would bug the crap out of me to walk her. He'd been practicing the whistles, so he figure at 5 he was capable of commanding his big buddy. I handed him the leash and reminded him not to let go of the leash. They wandered about the field of clover, getting further and further away. When i figured they had wandered a little to far, I made the terrible mistake of whistling for my oldest. (Yes, my boys are whistle trained too). Unfortunately, the whistle for the boys, and the whistle for Shalamar, were identical.

Until that day, I didn't know you could body surf on clover and grass. But across several acres of it, there it was before my eyes.

To my side she ran, dragging the tiny moppet behind her, like he wasn't even there.

I asked my him why he didn't let go as his mother brushed the clinging leaves and blades of grass from his face and now green fronted shirt.

He told me, because I said not to.

We bought her a harness the winter after that, and modified an old runner sled for her to pull. Tought the oldest how to mush her, and gave it a shot. As soon as she heard the click of the lead, she started talking, and lurching, straining to pull. I let her loose and told the oldest to give her the commands.

He did fine up to the barn, barking "Marche, marche" as she picked up speed. I heard him yell "gee" when they passed the barn, and she did as she was told. Shalamar turned on a dime, the sled and the boys fishtailed in the snow as they made the turn. That was when they went out of our sight.

Moments later, she rounded the other side of the barn, with the sled still in tow. Minus the kids of course. She came right to me, and sat down. Moments later the boys appeared, snow covered and contrary. Like my Grandfathers dogs, she was a work dog, not a racer, but without any real weight behind her, she just flew, lol.

Up until she got cancer, she was as young as the pup I brought home, at 13 years of age. Even her vet had trouble believing she spent all of that, living outside.

This was my sled dog, Shalamar, who I miss very much...

Making a sled dog a family pet, is a crap shoot. We lucked out. Would I do it again? In a heartbeat.

gerryh

Time Out
Nov 21, 2004

As I understand it, the dogs were offered to other outfits and they turned them down. Better to put some down than run the risk of starving all of them.

Ron in Regina

"Voice of the West" Party
Apr 9, 2008
Regina, Saskatchewan
As I understand it, the dogs were offered to other outfits and they turned them down. Better to put some down than run the risk of starving all of them.

From what I recall...the outrage wasn't necessarily that these
critters where put down, but how it was don't in such an
inhuman manner.

I think it went:
1) a firearm (by someone inexperienced with it) until that was
out'a rounds....
2) then a knife for a while, again used poorly...
3) I could be wrong, but maybe a hammer or something after
that....

I don't remember the specifics, just the outrage at the inhuman
methodology.

Making a sled dog a family pet, is a crap shoot. We lucked out. Would I do it again? In a heartbeat.

Ours wanted/needed a home, and chose ours. He's very smart,
and worked hard to fit in, in spite of some very strong instincts
and.....eccentricities...due to his treatment by the previous
owner.

I can empathize on the running like the wind, & the pulling, and
the digging, etc....and the small critters are prey mindset.

....and the smile (this is play, the big-dog hasn't even gotten up):

shadowshiv

Dark Overlord
May 29, 2007
Sometimes putting them down is the only viable option. My Grandfather had to do it, more than a few times.

But to just waste them like that, is terrible.

You make a valid point, Bear. I imagine that unless someone is an unfeeling monster that lacks empathy, it would be an extremely hard thing to do.

If that was the case, then putting them down would be far more humane than having them starve to death. I can't count the incidents that I've heard about(newspaper, television) where they raided a farm where there were starving horses that ended up having to be put down. At least if they got put down at an earlier stage, they wouldn't have to go through the agony of starvation. Too bad their meat or other parts couldn't be used for something as well.

CDNBear

Custom Troll
Sep 24, 2006
Ontario
You make a valid point, Bear. I imagine that unless someone is an unfeeling monster that lacks empathy, it would be an extremely hard thing to do.
To my Grandfather, his dogs were a source of pride, he treated them very well, and loved them all. But they were still just tools. He had to put many down, and I can't remember ever seeing him flinch. He may have felt something as he did the deed, but he never showed it. There was no debate, no long period of pause and reflection while he contemplated the next course of action. It was simply problem found, 30-30 levered, dog dispatched. Though he didn't eat the meat, and my ethics are something I developed over the years. He buried them by himself. With their harness, and bowls.

In the late 70's, he sold his team, and bought a used 1969 Olympic. Almost from day one, he regretted it. He didn't see as many deer, moose, or other wildlife. He hated the smell. And in a pinch, the snowmobile didn't pile on top of him and keep him warm through a severely cold night in the bush.

Too bad their meat or other parts couldn't be used for something as well.
The biggest hurdle to that scenario, is cultural conditioning in the west.