Atheists roughly as distrusted as rapists, UBC study finds

mentalfloss

Prickly Curmudgeon Smiter
Jun 28, 2010
Atheists roughly as distrusted as rapists, UBC study finds

Atheists are distrusted to roughly the same degree as rapists, according to a new University of British Columbia study exploring distaste for disbelievers.

The research, led by UBC psychology doctoral student Will Gervais, found distrust to be the central factor motivating antagonism toward atheists among the religious. "Where there are religious majorities – that is, in most of the world – atheists are among the least trusted people," Gervais said in a release.

"With more than half a billion atheists worldwide, this prejudice has the potential to affect a substantial number of people."

Researchers believe the negative perception of atheists may stem from some people's understanding of morality; a 2002 Pew poll suggests nearly half of Americans believe morality is impossible without belief in god.

For one part of Gervais' six-part study, researchers compared views of atheists, homosexual men and the general population, noting that the first two groups are "often described as threatening to majority religious values and morality."

Both are explicitly denied membership to the Boy Scouts of America, the study adds.

A sample of 351 Americans between the ages of 18 and 82 were quizzed on their feelings for each group. Sixty-seven per cent or subjects were Christian while 14 per cent said they did not believe in god.

The results suggested anti-atheist prejudice was characterized by distrust, while anti-gay prejudice was characterized by disgust. For another part of the study, 105 UBC students between the ages of 18 and 25 were presented with a description of an untrustworthy person – an "archetypal freerider" who committed selfish and illegal acts when he thought he could get away with it.

Subjects were more likely to find the description representative of atheists than Christians, Muslims, gay men, feminists or Jewish people. Only rapists were similarly distrusted.

"People did not significantly differentiate atheists from rapists," the study said.

Researchers hope the study, considered among the first to probe the psychology behind anti-atheist sentiments, will offer clues on how to combat the prejudice.

Study co-author Ara Norenzayan, a UBC associate professor, said it was motivated in part by a 2007 Gallup poll that found only 45 per cent of Americans would vote for a qualified atheist as president.

Atheists often see their disbelief as a private matter, but others may consider it "a public threat to cooperation and honesty," Norenzayan said in a release.

The UBC study, titled "Do You Believe in Atheists? Distrust is Central to Anti-Atheist Prejudice," appears in the current online issue of the Journal of Personality and Social Psychology.

Atheists roughly as distrusted as rapists, UBC study finds | CTV British Columbia

Retired_Can_Soldier

The End of the Dog is Coming!
Mar 19, 2006
Alberta
I used to hang out at the UBC Campus when I was banging the pastors Daughter. I didn't really have anything relevant to add, but felt that sharing that tidbit might give the group the impression that I added something to the discussion on this study which sounds like it was a collosal wast of money.

Bar Sinister

Executive Branch Member
Jan 17, 2010
Edmonton
Looks like a skewed survey. Note they the people who were polled were mostly American Christians; hardly a group known for its open-mindedness toward anyone who thinks or acts differently from what it considers the norm. If the same sort of people were selected in the UBC study, then the study completely lacks credibility. Tell you what - let's have a study showing how atheists rate fundamentalist Christians; somehow I don't think the results would be much different.

Cliffy

Standing Member
Nov 19, 2008
Nakusp, BC
Too funny. A whole lot of Christian leaders and politicians have been caught with their pants down, with their hands in the cookie jar and otherwise being untrustworthy yet they single out atheists. Perhaps a little deflection going on, me thinks.

talloola

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 14, 2006
Vancouver Island
Too funny. A whole lot of Christian leaders and politicians have been caught with their pants down, with their hands in the cookie jar and otherwise being untrustworthy yet they single out atheists. Perhaps a little deflection going on, me thinks.

me thinks the same

TenPenny

Hall of Fame Member
Jun 9, 2004
Location, Location
I like the reference to a poll that suggests most Americans believe there is no morality without a belief in God. That explains how most of the US economy and government works, I suppose.

Cliffy

Standing Member
Nov 19, 2008
Nakusp, BC
But how could you possibly have any morals without a god to threaten to fry your butt for eternity if you don't obey his rules? It is just not possible. After all, it is the only way god botherers can be made to behave.

CDNBear

Custom Troll
Sep 24, 2006
Ontario
Researchers believe the negative perception of atheists may stem from some people's understanding of morality; a 2002 Pew poll suggests nearly half of Americans believe morality is impossible without belief in god.
Would this have some validity, due to the fact that what we have in the way of codified conduct, is loosely based on centuries of life lessons from one deity or another?

In all likelihood, whatever we find moral, right or wrong, has a basis in religion.

So to be a true atheist, wouldn't you have to live outside what normal/common moral context is?

Last edited:

Cliffy

Standing Member
Nov 19, 2008
Nakusp, BC
Would this have some validity, due to the fact that what we have in the way of a codified code of conduct, is based on centuries of life lessons from one deity or another?

In all likelihood, whatever we find moral, right or wrong, has a basis in religion.

So to be a true atheist, wouldn't you have to live outside what normal/common moral context is?
That is a big can of worms for so early in the morning. First off, I think we are born with a sense of right and wrong, although it does take life experiences to solidify those codes. Things like if you hit a another kid they quite often hit back and it hurts. And parents, teachers and care givers all instill their sense of right and wrong. Morality, in the religious sense, is another story and deals with matters of conduct that are not necessarily wrong, like homosexuality and adultery, which seem to me to be more a sign of sexual repression by the person making the judgement. Many religions consider sexual behaviour that you and I may consider normal as sexual deviancy. Who is right and wrong in that case?

At one time, the moral codes were universal in the Christian world because everybody was indoctrinated into it. Today we have a mish mash of religious and spiritual beliefs and non beliefs and the only unifying code is the law. But even that is subject to the same testing as when a teen starts to test a parent's authority. It is normal human behaviour to break the rules to establish a sense of independence. To me, the only unifying law is karma: for every action there is an equal and opposite reaction. It is all about consequences for our actions. As we mature (I know that it is hard to see sometimes) as a species, we begin to break away from old, stifling rules that hinder our progress and creativity.

Last edited: