Good News About BC's Drunk Drivers

Mowich

Hall of Fame Member
Dec 25, 2005
Eagle Creek
"From October 1, 2010, to September. 30, 2011, the total number of alcohol-related motor vehicle deaths across B.C. was 68. This represents a decrease of 40 per cent from the 113 such deaths on average in each of the previous five years."

"The Motor Vehicle Act changes that came into force September 20, 2010, mean drivers impaired by alcohol face immediate penalties that may take away their vehicle, their licence, and cost them anywhere from $600 to about $4,060 in administrative penalties and remedial program costs."

Toughest impaired driving penalties paying off and saving lives

Mowich

Hall of Fame Member
Dec 25, 2005
Eagle Creek
Awesome. I'd say ramp up the penalties to reflect absolutely zero tolerance and see if we can hit 100%.

Oh, I could not agree more, SLM. Zero tolerance would make the whole drinking and driving thing a no brainer. You drink, drive and get caught - you're a gonner.

I say this in all honestly as a reformed drunk driver - one that never got caught. Growing up on the prairies, drinking and driving was the norm. Your parents did it. Your relatives did it. Hell, the priests and nuns did it - I know this because some of them used to come to our home for parties - and those guys and gals weren't shy around liquor. But - it was a different time. Traffic for one thing, is nothing compared to the volumes you see on the roads today even on the roads in Regina where I grew up. I drank and drove all through my twenties and up to my 40s until one night when I woke up in a ditch; the truck still running and no idea how I got there. I'd fallen asleep on my way home from helping my friends close the bar down after work on a Friday night. I'd nodded off a few times but always managed to shake it off. I had stopped a few times to get out and walk around and get the blood circulating again and kept telling myself I could make it home.

After I turned off the truck, I crawled up out of the ditch to find that I'd left the road on a sharp left hand corner on a hill. On the right side and below the road were four houses. Somehow the truck as it rounded the corner had kept turning to the left where the former road bed still existed. The truck followed the old road bed until it hit a log.

I don't know what guided my truck in the direction it took but the absolute terror I felt when I realized what could have happened had I headed in the other direction or had there been traffic on the highway still lives with me today. I never ever drank and drove again.

shadowshiv

Dark Overlord
May 29, 2007
Awesome. I'd say ramp up the penalties to reflect absolutely zero tolerance and see if we can hit 100%.

I would love to see it reach 100%, but the said fact of the matter is that no matter how much information is given to some people they will continue to drink and drive regardless of the consequences.

Personally, I think that deaths caused by DUIs should be considered murder, and the jail sentences meted out match up with that. There is no one out there driving today that doesn't know that drinking and driving can cause accidents(of course, it really isn't "accidental" then, now is it?).

Oh, I could not agree more, SLM. Zero tolerance would make the whole drinking and driving thing a no brainer. You drink, drive and get caught - you're a gonner.

I say this in all honestly as a reformed drunk driver - one that never got caught. Growing up on the prairies, drinking and driving was the norm. Your parents did it. Your relatives did it. Hell, the priests and nuns did it - I know this because some of them used to come to our home for parties - and those guys and gals weren't shy around liquor. But - it was a different time. Traffic for one thing, is nothing compared to the volumes you see on the roads today even on the roads in Regina where I grew up. I drank and drove all through my twenties and up to my 40s until one night when I woke up in a ditch; the truck still running and no idea how I got there. I'd fallen asleep on my way home from helping my friends close the bar down after work on a Friday night. I'd nodded off a few times but always managed to shake it off. I had stopped a few times to get out and walk around and get the blood circulating again and kept telling myself I could make it home.

After I turned off the truck, I crawled up out of the ditch to find that I'd left the road on a sharp left hand corner on a hill. On the right side and below the road were four houses. Somehow the truck as it rounded the corner had kept turning to the left where the former road bed still existed. The truck followed the old road bed until it hit a log.

I don't know what guided my truck in the direction it took but the absolute terror I felt when I realized what could have happened had I headed in the other direction or had there been traffic on the highway still lives with me today. I never ever drank and drove again.

Mowich, thank you for sharing a moment in your life that you are not proud of. I am thankful that neither you, nor anyone else, were hurt. I am also thankful that you learned from that...I just wish everyone else that drinks and drives would do the same.

JLM

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 27, 2008
Vernon, B.C.

Your drinking and driving history is similar to mine, minor mishaps but nothing tragic.................thank God. In my early 40s I decided to give it up as I was ahead of the game, but like you say it's a different situation now. I laugh at people who say they can have two or three drinks and drive safely...............................BULLSH*T. Even when you are driving sober there is a possibility you can be involved in an accident (true accidents aren't very preventable) So you have an accident and God forbid the worst happens and someone dies, be enough to destroy you, now think about being in that same situation if you'd had two or three drinks. Could you still rationalize that it wasn't your fault? That's why for 20 years I've had nothing to drink before driving. It's not being holier than thou, it's just plain common sense.

"From October 1, 2010, to September. 30, 2011, the total number of alcohol-related motor vehicle deaths across B.C. was 68. This represents a decrease of 40 per cent from the 113 such deaths on average in each of the previous five years."

"The Motor Vehicle Act changes that came into force September 20, 2010, mean drivers impaired by alcohol face immediate penalties that may take away their vehicle, their licence, and cost them anywhere from $600 to about $4,060 in administrative penalties and remedial program costs."

Toughest impaired driving penalties paying off and saving lives

Just last night on the news I saw some bar/restaurant owners whining. I guess they don't care about the mayhem as long as their till is ringing!

SLM

The Velvet Hammer
Mar 5, 2011
London, Ontario

Yep, driving is not a right, it's a privilege. These are rules required to maintain this privilege, if one cannot abide by them then one should not be afforded the privilege.

Indeed, thank you for sharing that. I'd venture to guess that is a fairly common back story for a lot of Canadians, particularly with so many of us living or having grown up in these smaller towns and rural communities. Even though so many of us live in larger more urban centres, that kind of thinking has really permeated our culture for a long, long time. I think it's changing, but not swiftly enough unfortunately. That's why I think it's important to share those kinds of histories with each other, and again, thanks for sharing yours.

I would love to see it reach 100%, but the said fact of the matter is that no matter how much information is given to some people they will continue to drink and drive regardless of the consequences.

Personally, I think that deaths caused by DUIs should be considered murder, and the jail sentences meted out match up with that. There is no one out there driving today that doesn't know that drinking and driving can cause accidents(of course, it really isn't "accidental" then, now is it?).

No, you're right, no matter how much information is given or laws written, people will continue to drink and drive. I mean, murder is against the law and people still kill other people. You can't legislate away truly stupid behaviour. People make conscious, sober decisions to drink while knowing full well they will be operating a vehicle afterwards. The penalties need to be excessively harsh, hopefully harsh enough to deter those from getting behind the wheel before they "accidentally" take someones life.

And I don't know about murder, because as I understand it, that requires proof of intent. However I see no reason why the penalty that Drunk Driving causing Death should not be 25 years to life, instead of what do they get now three to five years? Talk about making a mockery of the value of life of a human being!

It's not being holier than thou, it's just plain common sense.

Sadly common sense is not that common.

JLM

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 27, 2008
Vernon, B.C.
One sad note, quite a few cops have been arrested lately for impaired driving, so the message isn't even getting through to the first tier who should be obeying the laws! There's one way to stop it 99%. Seven years imprisonment for any reading over 0.02. (I say .02 so it's safe to eat cake with vanilla in it). :lol:

Locutus

Adorable Deplorable
Jun 18, 2007
It's almost like the concept of impaired driving has not been sufficiently stigmatized by society yet.

There seems more concern at times for smoking within 10m of a building entrance, using those bad old plastic bags or paints that aren't low VOC.

Priorities are fukked up and society and the idiots representing them don't seem to care very much for very long.

We announce the RIDE program is starting and where it'll be sometimes. An entire business even grew out of defending the inebriated douchebags they represent.

TenPenny

Hall of Fame Member
Jun 9, 2004
Location, Location
And what is the connection between that and this?

I think he's referring to the fact that you get your car impounded etc etc without the benefit of being tried in a court of law.
You suffer the penalties before you have a chance to prove your innocence.

JLM

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 27, 2008
Vernon, B.C.
I think he's referring to the fact that you get your car impounded etc etc without the benefit of being tried in a court of law.
You suffer the penalties before you have a chance to prove your innocence.

I suspected that, I also suspect he's not bright enough to see that the breathalyser machine has been deemed a reliable enough (actually much more reliable than courts) alternative to courts to determine guilt or innocense. I believe the court is still an option for those who don't believe the breathalyser. Either way it's probably going to cost them a few $thousand. To tell you the truth if the difference is some child's (or any person for that matter) life, I'm for saving the life first and we can argue about "rights" later. :smile:

TenPenny

Hall of Fame Member
Jun 9, 2004
Location, Location
I suspected that, I also suspect he's not bright enough to see that the breathalyser machine has been deemed a reliable enough (actually much more reliable than courts) alternative to courts to determine guilt or innocense. I believe the court is still an option for those who don't believe the breathalyser. Either way it's probably going to cost them a few $thousand. To tell you the truth if the difference is some child's (or any person for that matter) life, I'm for saving the life first and we can argue about "rights" later. :smile:

The court is certainly an option. It comes after the penalty has been imposed, however.
I believe that our system was based on the idea of being able to be tried by a judge, or judge and jury, not by a machine. Maybe that's changed, and we don't need courts any longer. After all, no police officer has ever lied or faked anything, so all we need is the word of a cop.

This is yet another example where people believe that, 'because someone's life might be at stake', we should not have any rights to a fair trial. It's an interesting slope we're on. Think of the children!

JLM

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 27, 2008
Vernon, B.C.
The court is certainly an option. It comes after the penalty has been imposed, however.
I believe that our system was based on the idea of being able to be tried by a judge, or judge and jury, not by a machine. Maybe that's changed, and we don't need courts any longer. After all, no police officer has ever lied or faked anything, so all we need is the word of a cop.

This is yet another example where people believe that, 'because someone's life might be at stake', we should not have any rights to a fair trial. It's an interesting slope we're on. Think of the children!

I think like everything else in life, adjustments have to be made from time to time, to keep up with the realities of the time. Our laws are based on what? Conditions during Greek, Roman, medieval English times? I never did buy into "innocent until proven guilty". We all know that is not realistic but keep on parroting it and consequently thousands of "innocent" people are in jail awaiting trial. I say we do whatever has to been done to ensure the highest level of safety and then rewrite the laws around that. :smile:

JLM

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 27, 2008
Vernon, B.C.
Wow. Just wow.

Sorry, I guess I didn't explain properly. I'm thinking along the lines that while such people as Mr. Pickton or Clifford Olson were in jail awaiting trial did the community actually believe that they were innocent? It's a concept OK for chocolate bar theft but in serious cases it just doesn't work. You don't throw innocent people in jail, cause them to lose their jobs etc.

Cannuck

Time Out
Feb 2, 2006
Alberta

There is a difference between blood alcohol concentration and impaired driving. People beat both charges all the time so clearly the system is not as fail safe as you seem to think it is.

Think of the children!

It would seem that people like JLM are in charge of that school in Ontario that banned balls from the playground. Hard to argue against it if it saves just one little tyke.

Last edited:

JLM

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 27, 2008
Vernon, B.C.
We do, and it's not that rare.
I'm sure someone will be along with a list of people who have been jailed, even though they were innocent.
Lives ruined.

Yeah, well that's one of the faults of the system that the likes of Cannuck don't want to see changed. You can't suck and blow at the same time!