Beyond the Barrel: The race to fuel the future

Mowich

Hall of Fame Member
Dec 25, 2005
Eagle Creek
Happened to catch this documentary on CNBC last night - really glad I did. There are some amazing new discoveries in the bio-fuel field these days. Everything from an algae that turns 'poop' into fuel to weeds that do the same.

Storyline

Director Josh Tickell takes us along for his 11 year journey around the world to find solutions to America's addiction to oil. A shrinking economy, a failing auto industry, rampant unemployment, an out-of-control national debt, and an insatiable demand for energy weigh heavily on all of us. Fuel shows us the way out of the mess we're in by explaining how to replace every drop of oil we now use, while creating green jobs and keeping our money here at home. The film never dwells on the negative, but instead shows us the easy solutions already within our reach. Written by Rebecca Harrell

Fuel (2008) - IMDb

"If you're interested in alternative fuels and solutions to our energy problems this is one of the most important films to watch" - Auto Central

taxslave

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 25, 2008
Vancouver Island
It is progressing. There are some problems that I don't know if they have been overcome yet. Like algae and worms growing in biofuel. The need to preheat fuel in cold weather and cold engines. Somewhat lower power output as well.
One thing for sure is that they must get away from using farmland that should be growing food for use as growing biofuels.

Mowich

Hall of Fame Member
Dec 25, 2005
Eagle Creek
It is progressing. There are some problems that I don't know if they have been overcome yet. Like algae and worms growing in biofuel. The need to preheat fuel in cold weather and cold engines. Somewhat lower power output as well.
One thing for sure is that they must get away from using farmland that should be growing food for use as growing biofuels.

Don't know about the cold weather problem, TS - have more research to do. I do know that the Tickells did drive their car across country on an algae bio-fuel that gets 150 mpg.

This is a great interview with the Josh and Rebecca Tickell - well worth reading if you have an interest in bio-fuels.

A.I.M. Interview: Josh Tickell and Rebecca Harrell :Algae Industry Magazine

petros

The Central Scrutinizer
Nov 21, 2008
Low Earth Orbit
When I don't see a commercial that says "here at blah blah blah motors were working closely with oil companies to improve fuel economy", I'll call off the bull**** hounds.

Cliffy

Standing Member
Nov 19, 2008
Nakusp, BC
I watched the whole film and although it has a positive ring, it misses the target. It is a good interim step toward self sufficiency but the future will belong to new technology, not revamping what we already have. I suggest people look for the "Thrive" movie. It shows a whole new tech for the future - if only the oil cartels will stop killing the people who are developing it.

dumpthemonarchy

House Member
Jan 18, 2005
Vancouver
www.cynicsunlimited.com