Africentric high school approved for Toronto

Locutus

Adorable Deplorable
Jun 18, 2007
Toronto students will now be able to follow an Africentric curriculum from kindergarten until graduation after the Toronto District School Board voted Wednesday night to establish an Africentric high school.

Debate over the school raged for more than an hour as trustee after trustee got to their feet to support it as a necessary measure for the black community, or to denounce it as a cynical Band-Aid to a school system in need of repair. Emotions in the chamber ran high, prompting school board chairman Chris Bolton to make several calls for civility.

Some trustees gave their support to the school with the warning that it should be only a temporary measure.

more

Africentric high school approved for Toronto, critics fear segregation | Posted Toronto | National Post

damngrumpy

Executive Branch Member
Mar 16, 2005
kelowna bc
The last great temporary measure we had was income tax and think about
how long that has been around. We can't teach children the languages of
our nation so we will break it down to their own, that most adults in any of
life's communities don't understand. That will fix the problem. If we stay on
this course, someone will come across the English and other established
languages while learning how to rub sticks together to make a fire.
What the hell is wrong with our education system, that they would even think
about doing this. The Black community needs this, so they can be even more
estranged from the workforce. Let me understand this, in many parts of the
country the complaint is Blacks and other minorities have difficulty getting jobs
and many claim it is a lack of skills especially with minorities that have recently
come here. Therefore the best way to help them is to put up barriers so they
can have more difficulty communicating with their communities and prospective
employers. What a system, lets create imaginary work places so the unemployed
won't feel out of touch, yes there are all kinds of things we can do to further
erode the society as we know it. This is taking political correctness to a whole
new low.
We have to make it so everyone fits in right? The best way to do that is to put the
best standard education system on the table so we all understand and learn the
same basics so we can communicate and compete with each other on an equal
as possible footing. Perhaps this could have been offered as a course to help
people in their local communities and it could be taught through a community
facility but not the official school system. These people didn't stop at making it
a course they are devoting an entire school to it.
Next we will have a school for Scottish students, and then the Irish, and the Dutch
and then the system will be bankrupt and they will cancel the band program.
See how this is like a continuous turning wheel?
We don't need a system for any specific group taking over an entire school, be it
Black or White or otherwise, it is the first step to segregation something civilization
abandoned decades ago. (end of rant)

Cannuck

Time Out
Feb 2, 2006
Alberta
I bet you they will teach young blacks in the future to point at proud Canadians like me and say thats the bad guy..... Look at Johnny hes white he's the bad guy!!!!

We've been doing that with our aboriginal community for years. This is nothing new. It's just a different special interest that is doing the whining.

hernanday

Apr 17, 2015
The last great temporary measure we had was income tax and think about
how long that has been around. We can't teach children the languages of
our nation so we will break it down to their own, that most adults in any of
life's communities don't understand. That will fix the problem. If we stay on
this course, someone will come across the English and other established
languages while learning how to rub sticks together to make a fire.
What the hell is wrong with our education system, that they would even think
about doing this. The Black community needs this, so they can be even more
estranged from the workforce. Let me understand this, in many parts of the
country the complaint is Blacks and other minorities have difficulty getting jobs
and many claim it is a lack of skills especially with minorities that have recently
come here. Therefore the best way to help them is to put up barriers so they
can have more difficulty communicating with their communities and prospective
employers. What a system, lets create imaginary work places so the unemployed
won't feel out of touch, yes there are all kinds of things we can do to further
erode the society as we know it. This is taking political correctness to a whole
new low.
We have to make it so everyone fits in right? The best way to do that is to put the
best standard education system on the table so we all understand and learn the
same basics so we can communicate and compete with each other on an equal
as possible footing. Perhaps this could have been offered as a course to help
people in their local communities and it could be taught through a community
facility but not the official school system. These people didn't stop at making it
a course they are devoting an entire school to it.
Next we will have a school for Scottish students, and then the Irish, and the Dutch
and then the system will be bankrupt and they will cancel the band program.
See how this is like a continuous turning wheel?
We don't need a system for any specific group taking over an entire school, be it
Black or White or otherwise, it is the first step to segregation something civilization
abandoned decades ago. (end of rant)

40% of black comunity drop out of school, how can they be MORE estranged from the workforce. Is the white community that racist that they won't hire a black adult who went to an africentric school. If that is the case, then race relations are much worse than most blacks think which is already pretty bad as they are the number 1 target of race based hate crimes in the nation. If blacks have trouble getting jobs due to lack of skills how is keeping them in an anti-black school system going to help that? Isn't it already clear the current white power school system is failing them? Please explain to me how africentric schools will put a barrier between between blacks and employers bearing in mind the number one employer of blacks is other blacks. And that most non-blacks not only purposely avoid blacks and not hire them but dislike blacks in general. Any so called standard education will just be a same old twist on the old thing. When white people say mainstream they mean white british descendent. When they say have one school system with a standard system the mean put everyone into a white british descendant style system. The entire white school system doesn't serve black students, it is anti-black in its nature. The irish already have protestants schools and the rest of the groups you named are white and share a similar culture with british white people.

I bet you they will teach young blacks in the future to point at proud Canadians like me and say thats the bad guy..... Look at Johnny hes white he's the bad guy!!!!

I'll admit you made me laugh out loud, but why do africentric school cause you so much anxiety. Has it ever occurred to you it has nothing to do with being against white people but helping a group with 40% drop out rate. The current school system was created for and by white british descendent people. By your line of logic, the mainstream program teaches young whites to point at black and point at proud canadian blacks and say look at johnny hes the black, he's the bad guy. Which actually would be more consistent with history.

How does this help promote a Canadian identity or promote unity?

Canada has unity? The two biggest white groups french and english have been fighting from the 1700s. The compromise is canada is to be a multicultural country with unity by having the different groups behave differently but staying to their own kind in a cultural mosaic. wE are not a melting pot, we are not America. The french stay in their communities and speak french, the english do the same and we all get along fine. The Black cultures and non-blacks ought take a page from that book.

Does anyone other than me think this is a form of ghettoization?

If by ghettoization you mean seperating people into cultures we have done that since the 1700s when the country started to form and the french had the right to not integrate and not learn english and we laid the ground work for multiculturalism.

IdRatherBeSkiing

Satelitte Radio Addict
May 28, 2007
Toronto, ON
So they have no money and are going to fire teachers and teacher's aids, close schools but they still have money for useless specialty schools? The TDSB is unbelievable.

hernanday

Apr 17, 2015
So they have no money and are going to fire teachers and teacher's aids, close schools but they still have money for useless specialty schools? The TDSB is unbelievable.

All the schools are speciality schools. There is no "neutral" schools. Someone has to write the curriculum and it will be a human with cultural biases. Someone has to teach it and it will be a human with bias. Someone has to enforce the rules and it will be a principal with cultural biases. Why not close down the french or english schools or the catholic or chinese schools?

IdRatherBeSkiing

Satelitte Radio Addict
May 28, 2007
Toronto, ON
All the schools are speciality schools. There is no "neutral" schools. Someone has to write the curriculum and it will be a human with cultural biases. Someone has to teach it and it will be a human with bias. Someone has to enforce the rules and it will be a principal with cultural biases. Why not close down the french or english schools or the catholic or chinese schools?

That's a bunch of poppycock. Yes everybody has some bias but you will know the political correct hoopla that would be generated if the TDSB opened 'White English High School".

I also sincerely doubt the reason that black kids have such a high dropout rate is because they do not have black only schools. But we can't really examine the real why's on that either.

hernanday

Apr 17, 2015
That's a bunch of poppycock. Yes everybody has some bias but you will know the political correct hoopla that would be generated if the TDSB opened 'White English High School".

I also sincerely doubt the reason that black kids have such a high dropout rate is because they do not have black only schools. But we can't really examine the real why's on that either.

But they are already english schools, french, italian, ukranian etc.. and much of the "black" thing is misreported. Its an africentric school not a "black school" as if whites cannot attend if they so choose. Whites just know there is an advantage in being the majority in a school going to a school aimed at your culture so aren't dumb enough to go to an africentric school(or asian centric one see "too asian" macleans article). if we are speaking of technical correctness I was just not being super technical about it because I thought people were just using terms loosely here and I never felt like being super technical on the language because I speak loosely on it too sometimes.

And lets assume you are right, there'd be outrage over a white english high school. So instead they drop the white part and call it the english school board and the employees at the boardlevel are almost entirely british descendant towards the top and the who curriculum is constructed for that of a white english child. So in essence we are arguing semantics. Does it really make a difference if they call the africentric school a black school or purple school. Or if they call the white english school regular school or pink school or whatever.

I am not portuguese. I would not pretend to know why they have such a high dropout rate. But if the portuguese people insisted it was due to lack of portuguese school, then maybe we should have some. What I know is over 110 black families decided to enroll their kids in africentric school program. They must think that lack of africentric schools is the problem or at least the white only school system is much worse.

The white english system works well for the white students. It portrays black students as marginal and unimportant, and overlooks their history. there are other issues too like systematic racism that vilifies their behaviours and culture and anti-black texts and materials and then you have teacher and principal and pupil racism. I see at as a toxic stew for most black students, and that is before you even throw on any home problems of the student.