Two arrested during Ford's Remembrance Day speech

Locutus

Adorable Deplorable
Jun 18, 2007
TORONTO - Two people arrested during the Remembrance Day service in front of the Old City Hall cenotaph won’t be facing criminal charges.

Both incidents happened around Mayor Rob Ford’s Remembrance Day speech just after 11 a.m. on Friday.

“They were in the audience and they were acting up,” Toronto Police Const. Tony Vella said.
One woman, 55, was arrested as she shouted through a megaphone while Ford delivered his Remembrance Day speech. Ford continued speaking as the woman could be heard screaming “Shame!”

The shouting continued until cops arrested her for breach of the peace.
Immediately after Ford’s speech a 58-year-old man started to yell at the mayor, walked into the VIP area and approached him.

An RCMP officer waiting to lay a wreath grabbed the man and handed him over to Toronto Police.
The woman was released with no charges and the man was charged under the Provincial Offences Act with being intoxicated in a public place, police said.

Councillor Josh Matlow, who was one of the city councillors in attendance at the ceremony, called the protest of the mayor at a Remembrance Day ceremony “completely inappropriate.”

The man appeared to be yelling out Ford’s name and “didn’t seem to be too happy with the mayor,” Matlow said.

“There is always time to assert one’s positions on municipal affairs but at a Remembrance Day ceremony, that’s the time to remember the sacrifices made by our veterans,” he said.

Two arrested during Ford's Remembrance Day speech | Toronto & GTA | News | Toronto Sun

mentalfloss

Prickly Curmudgeon Smiter
Jun 28, 2010
And the ongoing saga with Ford continues.

At this point, we should have some sort of referendum to let people vote on giving him the boot early.

CDNBear

Custom Troll
Sep 24, 2006
Ontario
And the ongoing saga with Ford continues.

At this point, we should have some sort of referendum to let people vote on giving him the boot early.
Ya it's all Ford's fault... :roll:

You should probably throw a couple coffees into ya before posting.

Or floss.

Or throw on a robe, your ideology is showing.

mentalfloss

Jun 28, 2010
People legitimately hate Ford to the extent that he regularly gets death threats.

I understand you want to maintain the status quo, but Ford is a good example of how we can strengthen our democracy to make our leaders more accountable.

I would support accountability measures for leaders of all stripes - cons, libs, dippers, etc.

CDNBear

Custom Troll
Sep 24, 2006
Ontario
People legitimately hate Ford to the extent that he regularly gets death threats.

I understand you want to maintain the status quo, but Ford is a good example of how we can strengthen our democracy to make our leaders more accountable.

I would support accountability measures for leaders of all stripes - cons, libs, dippers, etc.
So blaming him for other peoples actions is how you plan on forwarding that?

Interesting.

Do you also believe in prosecuting the victims of crime, to deter crime?

mentalfloss

Jun 28, 2010
So blaming him for other peoples actions is how you plan on forwarding that?

Interesting.

Do you also believe in prosecuting the victims of crime, to deter crime?

No, I'm saying this event is a symptom of the larger context of his political failing.

It's an example of how our democracy would be strengthened if it got a shot of republicanism in it.

CDNBear

Custom Troll
Sep 24, 2006
Ontario
No, I'm saying this event is a symptom of the larger context of his political failing.
Protesters with less tact than Gh, at a Remembrance day ceremony are Ford's fault?

So you do believe in fighting crime by prosecuting the victim.

It's an example of how our democracy would be strengthened if it got a shot of republicanism in it.
Please do go on.

Locutus

Adorable Deplorable
Jun 18, 2007
Ford or not, the dude was drunk (even at that early hour). No social or political pass for him but he was drunk.

The broad, who knows. Disrespectful first and foremost. Maybe a mental patient. Could even be a stand-up citizen for all I know or care.

Either way, go be a Ford-hater some other time and place. Leave the solemn ceremony for those that arrived to attend it.

mentalfloss

Jun 28, 2010
CDN, for this particular event, you can proceed with lawful measures however they would normally apply.

I'm not disagreeing with that.

All I'm saying is that within the greater context for why all these events occur in the first place, there is a growing backlash against the mayor.

If our democracy was more 'republic', it just means that the government would be more accountable to the public.

CDNBear

Custom Troll
Sep 24, 2006
Ontario
All I'm saying is that within the greater context for why all these events occur in the first place, there is a growing backlash against the mayor.
So he's the first and only mayor to be subject to such unlawful acts?

Or is it simply because of your ideological battle lines. That this is now an issue?

If our democracy was more 'republic', it just means that the government would be more accountable to the public.
How so?

Just the Facts

House Member
Oct 15, 2004
SW Ontario

:)

I'm not sure how a decisive election win is a political failing. Are you saying he was trying to not get elected? Or does having Marg Delawhatshername show up in your driveway and having CBC lie about you make you a political failure?

Seems to be Rob Ford is doing just fine.

taxslave

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 25, 2008
Vancouver Island
Anyone that does not like the Mayor can show their displeasure at the next election. Apparently enough taxpayers liked him to get him elected. To interrupt a remembrance day ceremony because you don't like the politics of the person giving the speech is not only disrespectful it is also crass and shows the lack of mentality of Fords political opponents.

SLM

The Velvet Hammer
Mar 5, 2011
London, Ontario
Ok, the guy, drunk and disorderly, enough said.

The woman, yes exercising her right to free speech but it was extremely tactless of her to use that particular venue to voice her dislike of Ford.

That's my take on it, based on the posted article.

CDNBear

Custom Troll
Sep 24, 2006
Ontario
Ok, the guy, drunk and disorderly, enough said.

The woman, yes exercising her right to free speech but it was extremely tactless of her to use that particular venue to voice her dislike of Ford.

That's my take on it, based on the posted article.
Mine too.

I support their right to free speech, but question the need to attack Ford at this event.

I would have no questions though, had they simply protested war, treatment of Veterans, or the use of non biodegradable plastic poppies.

mentalfloss

Jun 28, 2010
Without quibbling about the reason for Ford's steep in popularity, I think we need more democratic intervention with our leaders.

As technology allows for it, we should eventually have vote referendums on an annual basis to reassert the value of their performance, and duly reward or punish them.

petros

The Central Scrutinizer
Nov 21, 2008
Low Earth Orbit
Without quibbling about the reason for Ford's steep in popularity, I think we need more democratic intervention with our leaders.

As technology allows for it, we should eventually have vote referendums on an annual basis to reassert the value of their performance, and duly reward or punish them.
Private sector officials are subject to annual performance reviews. Same should go for public officials.

SLM

The Velvet Hammer
Mar 5, 2011
London, Ontario
Mine too.

I support their right to free speech, but question the need to attack Ford at this event.

I see it as part of the all or nothing mindset. While it is certainly up to the individual to select where and when it is appropriate to exercise that right, to me speaking ones mind would carry a lot farther if one used their mind to think first.

I would have no questions though, had they simply protested war, treatment of Veterans, or the use of non biodegradable plastic poppies.

That would have been appropriate to the venue at least.