Fort Hood shooting

DaSleeper

Trolling Hypocrites
May 27, 2007
Northern Ontario,
Families sue US Army for $750 million

Relatives of victims of the Fort Hood mass shooting are suing the US Army for $750 million, the Associated Press reported.

Among the 83 claimants are relatives of eight soldiers killed, and nine soldiers and one civilian who were injured when army psychiatrist Major Nidal Hasan opened fire at at the Fort Hood military post in Texas on November 5, 2009.

They accuse the Defense Department, the Justice Department and the FBI of willful negligence in failing to prevent the attack, which killed 13 people and wounded 31 others.

According to the claims, filed last week, the government had clear warnings that Hasan was a serious threat to the lives of others, but chose to allow him to continue serving on active duty. Hasan was promoted to major just five months before carrying out the massacre.

Families-sue-us-army-750-million

Note: This is one of the dangers of Political Correctness!

Retired_Can_Soldier

The End of the Dog is Coming!
Mar 19, 2006
Alberta
I'm not sure how political correctness enters into this; unless you are inferring that the accused was somehow protected because of his religion. This seems more like an example of good old American greed.

Greed? Or seeking Justice the only way they know how.

When Ronald Goldman's Father filed a wrongful death suit against OJ Simpson, do you think he did it for the money or because the justice system failed him?

Retired_Can_Soldier

Mar 19, 2006
Alberta
At $93mill+ per dead soldier what else could it be?

If a corporation made a drug that killed 8, maimed 9 and affected families there would be no such thought. Just stick it to them. The military dropped the ball with this guy. He posed a clear threat long before he acted.

DaSleeper

Trolling Hypocrites
May 27, 2007
Northern Ontario,
I'm not sure how political correctness enters into this; unless you are inferring that the accused was somehow protected because of his religion. This seems more like an example of good old American greed.

From a link in the original article (If you actually read it)
“TICKING TIME BOMB” FORT HOOD MASSACRE COULD HAVE BEEN PREVENTED

Committee Report Finds Internal Disputes, Poor Coordination at FBI and Failure to Acknowledge Violent Islamist Extremism at DOD

WASHINGTON – The Fort Hood massacre, which left 13 dead and 32 wounded, could have been prevented, Homeland Security and Governmental Affairs Committee Chairman Joe Lieberman, ID-Conn., and Ranking Member Susan Collins, R-Me., said Thursday, as they unveiled their report on the November 5, 2009, terrorist attack.

Evidence of accused killer Nidal Hasan’s growing drift toward violent Islamist extremism was on full display during his military medical training, although his superiors took no punitive action, according to the report. Two of his associates said he was a “ticking time bomb.” He had defended Osama Bin Laden and suggested Muslim Americans in the U.S. military might be prone to commit fratricide.

But, a slipshod FBI investigation into Hasan, coupled with internal disagreements and structural flaws in the agency’s intelligence operations also contributed to the government’s failure to prevent the attack.

DOD and FBI “collectively had sufficient information necessary to have detected Hasan’s radicalization to violent Islamist extremism but failed both to understand and to act on it,” the report states. “Our investigation found specific and systemic failures in the government’s handling of the Hasan case and raises additional concerns about what may be broader systemic issues.”
Read More

To most people PC is trying to avoid offending someone at at any cost because of their race, religion, sex, etc.

In this case, it cost some people their lives, because a lot of people didn't see the warning signs.
Edited to ad....Because of PC

Last edited:

Bar Sinister

Executive Branch Member
Jan 17, 2010
Edmonton
From a link in the original article (If you actually read it)

Read More

To most people PC is trying to avoid offending someone at at any cost because of their race, religion, sex, etc.

In this case, it cost some people their lives, because a lot of people didn't see the warning signs.
Edited to ad....Because of PC

Oh, I caught the reference. But I still think the issue is more about capitalizing on an unfortunate event than political correctness. I just wonder how the military was supposed to deal with Hasan short of locking him up to prevent a possible violent outburst. Keep in mind that even if Hasan had been expelled from the military there is nothing to have stopped him from carrying out a similar act outside of the military. There are probably dozens of people like Hasan in the US right now and I suspect that if any one of them decided to go on a rampage the authorities would not be able to stop him.

Retired_Can_Soldier

Mar 19, 2006
Alberta
Oh, I caught the reference. But I still think the issue is more about capitalizing on an unfortunate event than political correctness. I just wonder how the military was supposed to deal with Hasan short of locking him up to prevent a possible violent outburst. Keep in mind that even if Hasan had been expelled from the military there is nothing to have stopped him from carrying out a similar act outside of the military. There are probably dozens of people like Hasan in the US right now and I suspect that if any one of them decided to go on a rampage the authorities would not be able to stop him.

Hasan could have been removed from service. Really, it's that simple. He was a ticking time bomb.

taxslave

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 25, 2008
Vancouver Island
If a corporation made a drug that killed 8, maimed 9 and affected families there would be no such thought. Just stick it to them. The military dropped the ball with this guy. He posed a clear threat long before he acted.

I recall reading about the incident.
I'm still betting on money. But mostly by a greedy lawyer working on contingency that figures he needs about 250-mil to retire.

Retired_Can_Soldier

Mar 19, 2006
Alberta
I recall reading about the incident.
I'm still betting on money. But mostly by a greedy lawyer working on contingency that figures he needs about 250-mil to retire.

Well lawyers are lawyers. But I'm willing to bet the families would rather have their loved one back.

Bar Sinister

Executive Branch Member
Jan 17, 2010
Edmonton
Hasan could have been removed from service. Really, it's that simple. He was a ticking time bomb.

My point was that with the ready availability of firearms in the US what was to stop him from going on a rampage off the base? Short of locking Hasan up purely on speculation I'm not sure what could have been done.