HIV ‘seek and treat’ program launched in B.C.

VanIsle

Always thinking
Nov 12, 2008
If you’re an adult living in Vancouver or Prince George who’s had sex, chances are very good that you’ll be asked to take an HIV detection test at your next lab, hospital or medical clinic visit under Canada’s first such pilot project.Read full story>

VanIsle

Always thinking
Nov 12, 2008
HIV is a reportable disease, correct? That means, if the test is positive, you will be reported to the dept of health.
Yes, I believe you are correct. I think one of the most important things in the article though is that they are saying how many people they assume are HIV positive and do not know. If I thought there was any chance one of those could be me, I'd want to know. People can be treated for this disease even though they cannot be cured. Better to find it before the symptoms start showing up and hopefully, before someone starts passing them around (or continues to "share").

karrie

OogedyBoogedy
Jan 6, 2007
bliss
I don't see why any sexually active adult wouldn't have made HIV screening part of their regular health regimen ages ago.

TenPenny

Hall of Fame Member
Jun 9, 2004
Location, Location
I've been tested everytime I have a new partner.

That's not living up to your own standards, is it?
"I don't see why any sexually active adult wouldn't have made HIV screening part of their regular health regimen ages ago."

I got tested because it was a requirement for adoption.

karrie

OogedyBoogedy
Jan 6, 2007
bliss
That's not living up to your own standards, is it?
"I don't see why any sexually active adult wouldn't have made HIV screening part of their regular health regimen ages ago."

I got tested because it was a requirement for adoption.

Explain how I'm not living up to my standard, because you've lost me.

TenPenny

Hall of Fame Member
Jun 9, 2004
Location, Location
Explain how I'm not living up to my standard, because you've lost me.

Oh, I guess I'm misunderstanding something. You have said that a sexually active adult should make HIV testing part of their regular health routine.
Obviously, you are either not an adult, or are not sexually active, or you have a different interpretation of 'regular health routine' than the norm, which would mean testing every year (since that's what 'regular health routine' generally means to health professionals).

Not to be critical, I just like picking at gnats, and with the cold weather, they're hard to find.

karrie

OogedyBoogedy
Jan 6, 2007
bliss
Oh, I guess I'm misunderstanding something. You have said that a sexually active adult should make HIV testing part of their regular health routine.
Obviously, you are either not an adult, or are not sexually active, or you have a different interpretation of 'regular health routine' than the norm, which would mean testing every year (since that's what 'regular health routine' generally means to health professionals).

Not to be critical, I just like picking at gnats, and with the cold weather, they're hard to find.

I said HIV screening. Discuss your health and lifestyle with your doc. If it includes risk factors for HIV, get a simple needle prick. If you've been monogamous, haven't had transfusions, don't use needles, your doc might understandably find it unnecessary to do an HIV test on you. Or, they might decide that they don't trust that your partner hasn't cheated on you, and test you once a year anyway. I was asked by one doc when filling out my 'new patient information', why I had lef the 'monogamous' box unchecked, given that I was married. I said quite simply, "my husband works out of town 25 days a month, are you going to gamble my health on him being faithful?" He screened me regularly from there on out.