Google asks Canadians to update Maps

VanIsle

Always thinking
Nov 12, 2008
TORONTO - Google is taking inspiration from Wikipedia and inviting Canadians to scan Google Maps in their hometowns and make improvements where needed.

A new tool called Google Map Maker, which launched in Canada on Monday, allows users to add roads, rivers, trails and points of interest — such as stores and libraries — or make edits to get rid of incorrect or outdated information.

Changes are vetted by a team at Google and fellow users before being seen by the world on Google Maps.

"Google's objective here is to create an accurate atlas of the world and the reality is that Google's not big enough to do this (alone)," said Google Canada spokesman Aaron Brindle.

"When it comes to our assumptions around who actually is in possession of the most relevant information to any user, I think it's hubris to assume Google alone can do it without the help of the community of our users.

"It's a model that's worked with Wikipedia and a model that's worked astoundingly well when it comes to the maps (elsewhere in the world) that are already online."

Map Maker, a pet project of Google engineers in Bangalore, India, was first released in 2008 in a number of countries including Cyprus, Iceland and Pakistan. It was released earlier this year in the United States.

Before the product launched in Canada, some Canadian Google employees were testing it out and making their own additions and edits. Among them was engineer James MacLean, who lives in Hawkestone, Ont., about an hour and a half north of Toronto.

"In my little rural area here there were plenty of interesting things I was able to add to the map and a number of things I was able to correct," MacLean said.

Among his changes was an update to the local post office's entry to reflect that it's actually more of a general store that sells everything from groceries to alcohol to stamps.

"By making that accurate then other people will be able to use that information and I've perhaps provided some kind of small service to the people who live in my community," he said.

petros

The Central Scrutinizer
Nov 21, 2008
Low Earth Orbit
Oh goody. Amateurs making maps. Exactly what we need so more old people spend the winter atop of a mountain that their useless GPS sends them up to die.

IdRatherBeSkiing

Satelitte Radio Addict
May 28, 2007
Toronto, ON
Oh goody. Amateurs making maps. Exactly what we need so more old people spend the winter atop of a mountain that their useless GPS sends them up to die.

Certainly you are not suggesting that map making be restricted to the 1% of the population that is qualified?

petros

The Central Scrutinizer
Nov 21, 2008
Low Earth Orbit
Being qualified and knowing what you are doing has it's merits. Would you want your parent's GPS sending them up a logging road in January because some asshole put it on Google maps?

TenPenny

Hall of Fame Member
Jun 9, 2004
Location, Location
My parents knew how to read printed maps, since my mother was a geologist (got her degree in 1948).

A proper map and common sense beats a GPS and no sense any day of the week.

VanIsle

Always thinking
Nov 12, 2008
GPS is great. I don`t have trouble reading a map either. It`s a bugger though when you have this huge map spread out across the dash driving in downtown Vancouver. I am married to a man who just suddenly makes up his mind to - turn! On any street, because he thinks he knows where he is. We then become terribly lost because instead of stopping (he gets impatient about the map being open and in his driving way as he calls it) and giving me or even himself the chance to read, he keeps driving, we keep getting more and more lost. With the GPS, the drive is calm. When we are hungry, we plug in restaurants and it lists all restaurants in the area we are parked in. We choose which one and it directs us to the door. The only drawback to a GPS is outdated information. Even that is corrected as long as you are willing to listen to "re-calculating" after you have to make a change in the route. It simply gives you the detour. Sometimes, cities block off a street for any reason, either temporarily or permanently so you do have to be re-directed. Still gets you there for the most part. My cousin came to visit this summer though and her GPS would not show her how to get to my house. She said the street was spelled wrong but -- it's on our GPS and it's spelled right so I have to assume that whoever entered it into their private GPS, spelled it wrong.
The GPS saves miles of driving time and gas. It saves a lot of anxiety. Many phones now have a built in GPS so parents can even track their kids which can come in handy.
The article I posted said that all information will be verified before it is added to the system.

petros

The Central Scrutinizer
Nov 21, 2008
Low Earth Orbit
GPS is great. I don`t have trouble reading a map either. It`s a bugger though when you have this huge map spread out across the dash driving in downtown Vancouver. I am married to a man who just suddenly makes up his mind to - turn! On any street, because he thinks he knows where he is. We then become terribly lost because instead of stopping (he gets impatient about the map being open and in his driving way as he calls it) and giving me or even himself the chance to read, he keeps driving, we keep getting more and more lost. With the GPS, the drive is calm. When we are hungry, we plug in restaurants and it lists all restaurants in the area we are parked in. We choose which one and it directs us to the door. The only drawback to a GPS is outdated information. Even that is corrected as long as you are willing to listen to "re-calculating" after you have to make a change in the route. It simply gives you the detour. Sometimes, cities block off a street for any reason, either temporarily or permanently so you do have to be re-directed. Still gets you there for the most part. My cousin came to visit this summer though and her GPS would not show her how to get to my house. She said the street was spelled wrong but -- it's on our GPS and it's spelled right so I have to assume that whoever entered it into their private GPS, spelled it wrong.
The GPS saves miles of driving time and gas. It saves a lot of anxiety. Many phones now have a built in GPS so parents can even track their kids which can come in handy.
The article I posted said that all information will be verified before it is added to the system.
In an unfamilar city it's okay (I still prefer maps) but keep this in mind when travelling: GPS leaves Rita Chretien stranded in Nevada wilderness for seven weeks on journey to Las Vegas | Mail Online

VanIsle

Always thinking
Nov 12, 2008
In an unfamilar city it's okay (I still prefer maps) but keep this in mind when travelling: GPS leaves Rita Chretien stranded in Nevada wilderness for seven weeks on journey to Las Vegas | Mail Online
I followed a lot of that story. I don't think it was the GPS (unless GPS has said different). Human input is crucial to get to your destination. I'm sure you well know that things like Road, Street, Avenue are all words that can make a huge difference to where you are going. I would not be heading into the wilderness relying on a GPS anyway. Setting aside the fact I am not the "wilderness" sort of person, heading outside of a city/town, I would be taking a map and a compass. I don't even like the idea of being lost in a simple parking lot (or I guess the correct term would be - losing my car). Each and everytime I go to any mall, I automatically look up and mentally "mark" a spot or a letter on a bldg. or take note of the row number I am parked in before leaving my vehicle and when I enter a mall, I take note of the entrance and/or the name of the Store I've entered by. About 25 yrs. ago, we watched some poor soul walking around a parking lot in Calgary, knowing that he lost his way to his vehicle. He was looking very anxious and just as we were about to offer aid, he found it. Since that time, I've 'marked my place".
The article says "blindly followed" the GPS and that was obvious. At their age, they should have known that you don't take a van into that type of area that time of the year. I would be cautious about doing that and I own a 4 wheel drive. I consider the GPS as a device to get me around an unknown city or even to places in my own city that I don't frequent. I don't carry a local map with me.

Last edited:

VanIsle

Always thinking
Nov 12, 2008
I don't know what happened to your post that said "It was the GPS" but that's a yes it was and a no it wasn't thing. As I said - human input is crucial to where you are going and I just believe that common sense must prevail when entering the wilderness. Don't enter backroads un-prepared for weather and driving conditions.