Canada Shaped By Aboriginal Contributions, Event Concludes

dumpthemonarchy

House Member
Jan 18, 2005
Vancouver
www.cynicsunlimited.com
A good comment like the one below:

Strict obervance of the treaty would mean annual payment for "each Chief twenty-five dollars" as per treaty, and annual payments for "each Headman not exceeding four to a band, fifteen dollars", as per treaty.

Is there any Chief in our nation today who is only paid twenty-five dollars per year, as per treaty that the Chiefs solemnly promised to strictly observe ???

Is there any Headsmen in our nation today who is only paid fifteen dollars per year, as per treaty that the Chiefs solemnly promised to strictly observe ???

Is there any band in our nation today who is only has a maximum of four member on council, as per treaty that the Chiefs solemnly promised to strictly observe ???

This proves that your own Chiefs are ignoring your teaty obligations.

EXPLAINING OURSELVES Canada shaped by aboriginal contributions, event concludes - Winnipeg Free Press

EXPLAINING OURSELVES Canada shaped by aboriginal contributions, event concludes

By: Alexandra Paul
Posted: 10/6/2011 1:00 AM

Former national chief Ovide Mercredi asked an elder: "What do I do about the Indian Act?"

The elder paused. And answered: "Act Indian."

Mercredi's story at an event Wednesday at the University of Winnipeg drew appreciative chuckles.
It also illustrated the dilemma Mercredi and other aboriginal and non-aboriginal thinkers and leaders say now faces Canada: Canada's problem isn't just that it marginalizes First Nations and ignores treaties -- it's forgotten the aboriginal foundation that shaped it.

"I'll give you an example," author John Ralston Saul said at the end of the half-day Ka Na Ta (an aboriginal name for Canada) Conversations hosted by the Assembly of First Nations and the University of Winnipeg.

"We are the most interesting country, the most experimental country in the world on immigration and citizenship.... We are under attack all over the world for our multicultural model and we don't know how to explain what it is we're doing. Why? It comes from the fact that for the first 250 years, we followed the aboriginal model of immigration and citizenship and it became subconscious. Then we replaced the (language for it) with this British-empire sort of language and what we're doing doesn't make any sense when we talk about it."

Canadians end up being confused about our cultural identity as a result, Saul argued.

Recognizing the debt the country owes indigenous world views, which stress equality and inclusion, will help restore relations between the country's aboriginal population and everyone else, conference participants said. Finding language to describe ourselves will sort out the rest of the confusion about Canadian culture, the conference concluded.

"So we have to change, and that's what Ovide was saying, that's what Dr. Atleo was saying," Saul said.

Hosted by Assembly of First Nations national Chief Shawn A-in-chut Atleo and U of W president Lloyd Axworthy, the event drew together notables including Giller-winning author Joseph Boyden, Sagkeeng elder Dave Courchene, the University of Saskatchewan's James Sakej Henderson, former federal Indian Affairs minister Chuck Strahl and Atleo's father, hereditary chief E. Richard Umeek Atleo.

They held a wide-ranging discussion on how aboriginal viewpoints shape Canada's cultural identity, government and our appreciation of the natural world.

"The most important thing is to get non-aboriginal people to understand what contributions (are) from aboriginal people," Axworthy
said, crediting indigenous elders for teaching him.

alexandra.paul@freepress.mb.ca

Republished from the Winnipeg Free Press print edition October 6, 2011 A16

CDNBear

Custom Troll
Sep 24, 2006
Ontario
This proves that your own Chiefs are ignoring your teaty obligations.
Holy crap, why can't you spell properly?

That aside. It's been explained, and proven with links to SCC rulings, that have been posted to you a number of times now. That the Crown insisted the treaties were 'living', so that they could exploit resources, under our feet.

In their ruling, they determined that in so doing, the crown opened the treaties up to greater and broader benefit to the other party as well.

If you actually had a degree in history, you wouldn't keep making the same mistakes, silly erroneous claims, ask the same stupid questions (Of which I might add, until I read your posts, I never thought there was a stupid question, apart from the one not asked. Who knew?), or use the myths and broad generalizations you use.

If you truly do have a degree in history.

I'd ask for my money back.

Now to address the article...

http://www.winnipegfreepress.com/lo...-contributions-event-concludes-131203804.html
Mercredi's story at an event Wednesday at the University of Winnipeg drew appreciative chuckles.
I've met Ovide, I like him, he was actually our last hope in a united First Nations, IMHO.

Ka Na Ta (an aboriginal name for Canada)
RThat's impossible, dumpster says 'Indians' don't and haven't contributed to the creation of Canada.

Canadians end up being confused about our cultural identity as a result, Saul argued.
BS, Canadians are confused about our National identity, because far to many of them have the same limited education as the racist that posted this thread.

Recognizing the debt the country owes indigenous world views, which stress equality and inclusion, will help restore relations between the country's aboriginal population and everyone else, conference participants said.
Generalized lip service. Although at the base core of First Nation organizations is a spirit of inclusion, and equality, there are First nations members, that are no different than the racist that posted this thread.

"Inflation" isn't mentioned in treaties.
It is however discussed in SCC rulings.

If you weren't so blinded by racism, you wouldn't write posts that were so stupid. Like your opening statement, containing comments from your source, that have nothing to do with the article itself. Only uneducated moronic racists make leaps like that.

dumpthemonarchy

House Member
Jan 18, 2005
Vancouver
www.cynicsunlimited.com
The living tree theory of consitutions, one of many. And people, "read in" what they think is appropriate at the time.

When the British and British oriented Canaidans made treaties with Indians, everyone knew things would change, even as the rivers kept flowing.

In the 18th century when the British were making treaties, they knew things would change, they made treaties with Indians for allies, and as any European knows, your allies change over time. In the 18th century, the British knew things wouldn't be the same for long, because in the 15th century there was no America, no Brazil, no Montreal, no Mexico. Nothing is frozen, it depends on the doctrine of the day, and the doctrine of the day now, is asismilation as technology and modernity destroys tradition. Money eases the transition.