Test trial convicts fossil fuel bosses of 'ecocide'

Cliffy

Standing Member
Nov 19, 2008
Nakusp, BC
Original story (29/09/11): It's a grim list: genocide, crimes against humanity, crimes of aggression (such as unprovoked invasions) and war crimes. All are recognised by the UN as crimes against peace and prosecuted through the international criminal court.But should the bosses of polluting companies and the leaders of environmentally-unfriendly states join those responsible for mass murder in the dock. They could if a fifth crime against peace - ecocide - joined that list of human evils? The United Nations is now considering the proposal and the first test of how a prosecution for ecocide would work takes place on Friday, with fossil fuel bosses in the dock at the UK supreme court in London. It is a mock trial of course, but with real top-flight lawyers and judges and a jury made up of members of the public. The corporate CEOs will be played by actors briefed by their legal teams.
The crime of ecocide is the brainchild of British lawyer Polly Higgins, who in her UN submission defined it as:
Ecocide: The extensive damage, destruction to or loss of ecosystems of a given territory, whether by human agency or by other causes, to such an extent that peaceful enjoyment by the inhabitants of that territory has been severely diminished.
Crimes being considered for prosecution in Friday's trial include the extraction of oil from Canada's tar sands, a major oil spill in the Gulf of Mexico, fracking for shale gas in Nigeria and bauxite mining of Niyamgiri mountain, India. The real world parallels are not accidental, I'm sure.

Full article here: Test trial convicts fossil fuel bosses of 'ecocide' | Damian Carrington | Environment | guardian.co.uk

captain morgan

Hall of Fame Member
Mar 28, 2009
A Mouse Once Bit My Sister
Remember when you were a little kid and might have threatened another kid in the play ground when you didn't get your way?

"Give me the football or I'll sue you for everything you have!"

This kinda sounds like the same thing.

Kakato

Time Out
Jun 10, 2009
Alberta/N.W.T./Sask/B.C
Well they would have to prosecute everyone because Were all guilty of useing fossill fuels and I bet allmost any Canadian with mutual funds is an investor in the oilsands and probably doesnt even know it.

captain morgan

Hall of Fame Member
Mar 28, 2009
A Mouse Once Bit My Sister
Well they would have to prosecute everyone because Were all guilty of useing fossill fuels and I bet allmost any Canadian with mutual funds is an investor in the oilsands and probably doesnt even know it.

How about the home that you (and everyone) lives in... Aren't these occupying space that was once rangeland and/or habitat for wild life?

This 'test trial' is such a childish ideal, but in light that it is the UN, it makes all too much sense.

Kakato

Time Out
Jun 10, 2009
Alberta/N.W.T./Sask/B.C
How about the home that you (and everyone) lives in... Aren't these occupying space that was once rangeland and/or habitat for wild life?

This 'test trial' is such a childish ideal, but in light that it is the UN, it makes all too much sense.
I have a small herd of deer that hangs in my yard,bears,cougars,skunks and other wildlife frequently cruises through and my house doesnt seem to bother them one bit.

mentalfloss

Prickly Curmudgeon Smiter
Jun 28, 2010
First they congratulate our PM. Then they do mock trials behind our back. Those wacky Brits!

petros

The Central Scrutinizer
Nov 21, 2008
Low Earth Orbit
I have a small herd of deer that hangs in my yard,bears,cougars,skunks and other wildlife frequently cruises through and my house doesnt seem to bother them one bit.
You should see what runs (and what doesn't make it) when 5 tonnes of combine comes rolling through a field. Food is the largest consumer of energy.