PEI party is proposing swapping excess spuds for Cuban doctors

petros

The Central Scrutinizer
Nov 21, 2008
Low Earth Orbit
You'd think this was from the Onion but nope, they really want to swap spuds.

The Island Party has come up with a unique plan to swap PEI potatoes for Cuban doctors.

Jason MacGregor, the Island Party candidate in Souris-Elmira, is pitching the plan in an effort to have his community’s emergency room reopened.

He said Souris Hospital needs at least five doctors to reopen its ER and there are only two working there at the moment.

MacGregor said Cuban doctors are some of the best trained in the world and many Island farmers have excess spuds that are being plowed under every year.

He said he'd like to strike an agreement with Cuba that would see the Island send the communist country potatoes every year in exchange for some doctors.

He called in "an agreement based on mutual assistance."

Global Maritimes | P.E.I. election - Island Party candidate suggests potato-for-doctors swap

petros

The Central Scrutinizer
Nov 21, 2008
Low Earth Orbit
Ricky Ricardo isn't black.

bill barilko

Senate Member
Mar 4, 2009
Vancouver-by-the-Sea
Are Cubans black?

Ricky Ricardo isn't black.
One thing a lot of people-except Cubans-don't like to talk about is how much blacker the country became after the revolution.

The people who fled were the whitest/richest ones (like the Ricardo family) after a time it became almost fashionable for Cubans to have black ancestors-even Fidel publicly mentioned his African forbearers.

karrie

OogedyBoogedy
Jan 6, 2007
bliss
One thing a lot of people-except Cubans-don't like to talk about is how much blacker the country became after the revolution.

The people who fled were the whitest/richest ones (like the Ricardo family) after a time it became almost fashionable for Cubans to have black ancestors-even Fidel publicly mentioned his African forbearers.

That doesn't make the population black generally speaking. Just means it's a bit multicultural. The more pertinent question would be would PEI'ers accept having a Cuban doc, don't you think?

TenPenny

Hall of Fame Member
Jun 9, 2004
Location, Location
I have my doubts about that.

Also-would most PEI residents go to a doctor who was black?

A reasonable number of the recent immigrant doctors in NB, NS, NL, and PEI are from Africa. There are probably some people who have a problem with that, but not 'most' people.

And I doubt that 'most' people would consider a Cuban to be 'black', but if you're okay with that, go ahead.

lindyloo646

Nominee Member
Sep 10, 2008
Saskatchewan
Aprox 12% of the Cuban population is black, I've been told by a Cuban Tourist Guide, who
happened to be a red-headed white man. He said that he was envious of their darker
pigmentation, as that would lower his chances of skin cancer in a tropical enviroment.

Black Cubans are held in high esteem. Most emigrated to Cuba in the '30's from Haiti, at
the request of the Cuban Government of the day, to teach agricultural processes.

bill barilko

Senate Member
Mar 4, 2009
Vancouver-by-the-Sea
And I doubt that 'most' people would consider a Cuban to be 'black', but if you're okay with that, go ahead.
Just how much time have you spent in Cuba anyway?

Aprox 12% of the Cuban population is black, I've been told by a Cuban Tourist Guide
Gotta love those Commie Gubmint stats-official and all that.

Black Cubans..... Most emigrated to Cuba in the '30's from Haiti, at the request of the Cuban Government of the day, to teach agricultural processes
Again gotta love that gubmint garbage-in fact most came in chains.

I can't believe I have to point that out to people-does no one here know the history of the Caribbean?

Why would we not go to a black doctor?

Because Atlantic Canada is notorious for racism that's why-is this news to you?

JLM

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 27, 2008
Vernon, B.C.
You'd think this was from the Onion but nope, they really want to swap spuds.

The Island Party has come up with a unique plan to swap PEI potatoes for Cuban doctors.

Jason MacGregor, the Island Party candidate in Souris-Elmira, is pitching the plan in an effort to have his community’s emergency room reopened.

He said Souris Hospital needs at least five doctors to reopen its ER and there are only two working there at the moment.

MacGregor said Cuban doctors are some of the best trained in the world and many Island farmers have excess spuds that are being plowed under every year.

He said he'd like to strike an agreement with Cuba that would see the Island send the communist country potatoes every year in exchange for some doctors.

He called in "an agreement based on mutual assistance."

Global Maritimes | P.E.I. election - Island Party candidate suggests potato-for-doctors swap

So how many doctors is one spud worth?

Ron in Regina

"Voice of the West" Party
Apr 9, 2008
Regina, Saskatchewan
Again gotta love that gubmint garbage-in fact most came in chains.

I can't believe I have to point that out to people-does no one here know the history of the Caribbean?

Really? Most black folks in Cuba came to Cuba from Haiti....from one sovereign nation to
another....in the 1930's....in chains? Huh. Ya' learn something new here every day it seems.

gerryh

Time Out
Nov 21, 2004
Hell of an innovative and great idea. Not surprising though considering where it's coming from.

Bar Sinister

Executive Branch Member
Jan 17, 2010
Edmonton
Just a point on the origin of African-Cubans. Black Africans were first brought to Cuba in 1521 and were steadily added to the population from then on. If people of African descent did arrive from Haiti then they were a small minority compared to the number that were already there. Below are three links detailing the slave trade in Cuba and the country's general ethnicity.

Demographics of Cuba - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Ethnic Influences in Cuba Resulting from the History of African Slave Trade to Cuba - Assata Shakur Speaks - Hands Off Assata - Let's Get Free - Revolutionary - Pan-Africanism - Black On Purpose - Liberation - Forum
Cuba - The Last Slave Ships

So far as the thread is concerned, the idea is an interesting one. In fact if the idea of swapping potatoes for doctors was taken out it would make good financial sense for Canada's health care system to avail itself of services in other nations in order to save money. But only if the medical standards Canadians expect are available. There are literally thousands of highly trained physicians available in Latin American nations who are performing services at a fraction of the cost of those same services in Canada. Even with the air fare and accommodation costs thrown in it would be cheaper to send some Canadian patients to nations like Cuba or Mexico for certain medical procedures. All that would be required would be that these foreign physicians be certified by the provincial governments as being medically qualified. This would be a win-win situation for both nations. It would lower Canada's health care costs and waiting times and bring foreign currency into Latin American nations. In addition, given the climate of Latin America it would give patients sent there a nice sunny vacation while they recovered. Finally, it would achieve the privatization of medical services so favoured by many on the political right.

Kakato

Time Out
Jun 10, 2009
Alberta/N.W.T./Sask/B.C
Cuba doesnt exactly have good doctors where the general population is concerned,and the ones that are there are for the tourists,everyone talks about how good Cuba's health system is and yet you dont see the hospitals the locals have to use.
You would vomit.

bill barilko

Senate Member
Mar 4, 2009
Vancouver-by-the-Sea
what part of the great american south did you move up from bill ?

You're simply jealous because I've exposed the lies and ignorance that Canadians wallow in.

Cuba doesnt exactly have good doctors where the general population is concerned,and the ones that are there are for the tourists,everyone talks about how good Cuba's health system is and yet you dont see the hospitals the locals have to use.You would vomit.

Please delete your response-you're frightening the drinkers of Commie Kool Aid who infest this thread.