Earth in crosshairs of gigantic solar storm


petros
#1
A sunspot, 62,000 miles across - so big it would dwarf the Earth - is releasing gigantic solar flares that could in theory wreak havoc with electrical communications ranging from handheld electronics such as iPhones to sections of the power grid.


Nasa has detected two X-class solar eruptions from 1302 – the most extreme possible – in the past week. One that occurred on September 24 produced an amazing light show over England last night – but it’s far from over, as the sunspot isn’t yet directly aligned with Earth.

NASA experts have said 'anything electrical' can be affected by such activity.

Hot stuff: The behemoth sunspot 1302 has been unleashing huge solar flares



Well spotted: Active Region 1302 as seen from the Earth


Known as ‘Active Region 1302’, it is producing bursts of radiation so intense that spectacular auroras, caused by the sun’s particles hitting the atmosphere, have been seen as far south as Oxfordshire.

Astronomer Dr Ian Griffin, CEO of Science Oxford, told MailOnline: ‘Active Region 1302 is the source of all of the auroras seen yesterday, and may well be the source of some more auroras over the next few nights.

‘Space-weather forecasters estimate a 40 per cent chance of more flares during the next 24 hours. Any such eruptions would be Earth-directed as the sunspot crosses the centre of the solar disk.




Way to glow: The aurora over Ludgershall in Buckinghamshire last night


‘In short, with no moon in the sky, and an active region on the sun, the next few nights might be very interesting for sky-watchers in Britain.’


There is some danger, too, that the solar activity will disrupt communication systems, especially in upper latitudes such as northern Canada and Scandinavia.


A sunspot occurs when strong magnetic fields on the sun reach the surface and cool down, according to Nasa. Large ones can be seen clearly using telescopes and powerful cameras.


The intense magnetic activity in a sunspot often produces solar flares - the bigger the sunspot, the bigger and more intense the flare.


The diameter of AR 1302 has been measured at a whopping 62,000 miles, several times bigger than Earth.


Read more: Earth in cross-hairs of huge solar storm caused by sunspot 1302 | Mail Online
 
Nuggler
+3
#2  Top Rated Post
sometimes smilies are, well, just ...................inadequate!!

RUN!! RUN!!
FLEEEE!!
IT'S GOD'S JUDGEMENT!!
WE'RE FUKKED!!
CROSS-HAIRS........

who wudda thunk it's come to this??

frig!! ...........to say the least................even.

 
WLDB
#3
I have enough problems getting down the elevator as it is.
 
JLM
+1
#4
Hey Petros- Most of us have enough problems without looking for more!
 
dumpthemonarchy
#5
They said it gave us a "glancing blow". Cool. We don't need peak oil to send us back to the stone age, a solar flare could do it, by frying all electrical systems. Try to use CC then!
 
Cliffy
+2
#6
Quote: Originally Posted by dumpthemonarchyView Post

They said it gave us a "glancing blow". Cool. We don't need peak oil to send us back to the stone age, a solar flare could do it, by frying all electrical systems. Try to use CC then!

Wouldn't be all that bad. We may go back to having a life and actually talking to people face to face. I lived without electricity for ten years and I didn't miss it.
 
dumpthemonarchy
#7
Quote: Originally Posted by CliffyView Post

Wouldn't be all that bad. We may go back to having a life and actually talking to people face to face. I lived without electricity for ten years and I didn't miss it.

Low tech facetime communications, interesting concept. I've lived without electiricty for about, hmm, never. I expect chaos. Plagues too.

It brings to mind a stat I heard on TV a while back, the average number of friends for people has declined from about ten to about five in the past half century. I think they said tech may be part of the reason. We do have much more stuff.
 
Liberalman
#8
Since the whole global economy relies on the computers and the computers relies on electricity people would be forced to live a more simple life as they once did in early 1900s and they would be more healthier. We have to remember electro magnetics kills people and there are a lot more waves effecting the human body than before so sun spots can save us
 
EagleSmack
#9
Quote: Originally Posted by dumpthemonarchyView Post

They said it gave us a "glancing blow". Cool. We don't need peak oil to send us back to the stone age, a solar flare could do it, by frying all electrical systems. Try to use CC then!

I wonder if Canadian Content has a Disaster Recovery Plan in the event that this should happen.

Andem?

Quote: Originally Posted by LiberalmanView Post

Since the whole global economy relies on the computers and the computers relies on electricity people would be forced to live a more simple life as they once did in early 1900s and they would be more healthier. We have to remember electro magnetics kills people and there are a lot more waves effecting the human body than before so sun spots can save us

As a student of history I assure you that humans weren't more healthy in the early 1900's. People died of simple illnesses that we simply brush off today.

Death Rate in 1900 was 17.2 per 1000

2005 it was 8.2 per 1000.
 
darkbeaver
#10
Spaceweather.com Time Machine (external - login to view)
 
JLM
#11
Quote: Originally Posted by EagleSmackView Post

I wonder if Canadian Content has a Disaster Recovery Plan in the event that this should happen.

Andem?



As a student of history I assure you that humans weren't more healthy in the early 1900's. People died of simple illnesses that we simply brush off today.

Death Rate in 1900 was 17.2 per 1000

2005 it was 8.2 per 1000.

So we are living slightly over twice as long as in 1900. I'm a little skeptical about these "statistics" (I hate that word). Just in the past day or so I read something that said women born in 2008+/- would live to be 83.xxx years. HTF can anyone predict that?
 
darkbeaver
#12
When the sunspot crosses the center of the solar disc then we get whacked. I have enjoyed your company and hope to enjoy more of it in the coming days weeks and months.
 
dumpthemonarchy
#13
In the book, The End of Food, it states on page 17 that 1/3 of men in Britain were physically inadequate to serve in the British army for the Boer War. They were not 5' tall and could not endure 3 months of basic training. Over 100 years ago, people were less healthy, although I think the situation was better in Canada. The aristocratic elites blamed the poor for these failings. The kind of nonsense that justifies dumping the monarchy.

On page 19 it states it wasn't better farming that improved overall health, it was more farming, more land under cultivation on the American continent mainly. Given a choice, more food is better food for us masses.
 
IdRatherBeSkiing
#14
Quote: Originally Posted by JLMView Post

So we are living slightly over twice as long as in 1900. I'm a little skeptical about these "statistics" (I hate that word). Just in the past day or so I read something that said women born in 2008+/- would live to be 83.xxx years. HTF can anyone predict that?

You would need to wait 83 or so years to be proven wrong.
 
JLM
#15
Quote: Originally Posted by IdRatherBeSkiingView Post

You would need to wait 83 or so years to be proven wrong.

The onus would be on the person making the claim to prove he's right!
 
Retired_Can_Soldier
#16
I thing the Solar Storm is a *****.

I say bring it on!
 
dumpthemonarchy
#17
Quote: Originally Posted by JLMView Post

The onus would be on the person making the claim to prove he's right!

It's trendline you dolt. It's up.
 
JLM
#18
Quote: Originally Posted by dumpthemonarchyView Post

It's trendline you dolt. It's up.

In other words it's a crock of B.S.
 
dumpthemonarchy
#19
Quote: Originally Posted by JLMView Post

In other words it's a crock of B.S.

You may not have noticed the trendline for people living longer is a century or two old. Like they say, "If current trends continue ..." the trendline will continue on an upward trajectory. The upward trajectory of people living longer may change direction if we get several direct hits from the flares. Get it?

I'm guessing that the "glancing blow' from the solar flare may have caused some damage on this rock.
 
JLM
#20
Quote: Originally Posted by dumpthemonarchyView Post

You may not have noticed the trendline for people living longer is a century or two old. Like they say, "If current trends continue ..." the trendline will continue on an upward trajectory. The upward trajectory of people living longer may change direction if we get several direct hits from the flares. Get it?

I'm guessing that the "glancing blow' from the solar flare may have caused some damage on this rock.

Well a lot of doctors are saying that this current generation will be the first generation who are outlived by their parents due to thing like, obesity, inactivity, crappy eating habits and street drug use, so they both can't be right.
 
The Old Medic
#21
This is NO BIG DEAL. They have happened many, many times before, and all they do is cause a wonderful display of the "Northern" and the "Southern" lights.
 
dumpthemonarchy
#22
Yeah, stuff that comes from space like meteors and solar storms are nothing to worry about. Hardly ever happens.
 
Tonington
+1
#23
Quote: Originally Posted by JLMView Post

So we are living slightly over twice as long as in 1900.

...death rate is not the same thing as life expectancy...death rate is how many deaths in a population for a given unit of time and population, often expressed in deaths per 1000 per year.

Life expectancy is a general indicator of health for a given population, it`s an expected value based on mortality statistics for a given period of observation.
 
JLM
#24
Quote: Originally Posted by ToningtonView Post

...death rate is not the same thing as life expectancy...death rate is how many deaths in a population for a given unit of time and population, often expressed in deaths per 1000 per year.

Life expectancy is a general indicator of health for a given population, it`s an expected value based on mortality statistics for a given period of observation.

You are quite right if you want to "split hairs", but extrapolated out, it is fairly close. If the death rate is 14 per 1000 annually, that would work out to a life expectancy on average of about 71 years.

Quote: Originally Posted by Tonington;

Life expectancy is [B

a general indicator of health[/B] for a given population, it`s an expected value based on mortality statistics for a given period of observation.

Among other things, like flood zone, war zone, earthquake zone, drug war zone, vicious rhinocerus zone..............................lots of ways to die besides poor health.
 
Retired_Can_Soldier
+1
#25
Quote: Originally Posted by NugglerView Post

sometimes smilies are, well, just ...................inadequate!!

RUN!! RUN!!
FLEEEE!!
IT'S GOD'S JUDGEMENT!!
WE'RE FUKKED!!
CROSS-HAIRS........

who wudda thunk it's come to this??

frig!! ...........to say the least................even.

I wish I could thank you twice for this amazing post.
 
spaminator
#26
wasn't there a blackout in quebec because of this sort of thing in the past?
 
dumpthemonarchy
#27
Quote: Originally Posted by spaminatorView Post

wasn't there a blackout in quebec because of this sort of thing in the past?

And NASA says the 1989 storm in Quebec was far less intense than the 1859 storm. I think now, as systems like computers are very very sensitive, we could be very vulnerable to these solar storms.

http://science.nasa.gov/science-news/science-at-nasa/2003/23oct_superstorm/
 
Tonington
#28
Quote: Originally Posted by JLMView Post

You are quite right if you want to "split hairs", but extrapolated out, it is fairly close. If the death rate is 14 per 1000 annually, that would work out to a life expectancy on average of about 71 years.

Ummm, no it's not splitting hairs.... That death rate means for every 1000 people, 14 will die in that year. It's not related to the life expectancy... You can have a death rate of 14 with a life expectancy of 50, or a death rate of 14 with a life expectancy of 80...what kind of math did you throw together to get a life expectancy of 71 from a death rate of 14 per 1000?
 
JLM
#29
Quote: Originally Posted by ToningtonView Post

Ummm, no it's not splitting hairs.... That death rate means for every 1000 people, 14 will die in that year. It's not related to the life expectancy... You can have a death rate of 14 with a life expectancy of 50, or a death rate of 14 with a life expectancy of 80...what kind of math did you throw together to get a life expectancy of 71 from a death rate of 14 per 1000?

Division.
 
Tonington
#30
There's a reason math teachers want students to show their work...
 

Similar Threads

0
Why Iran is Still in The Crosshairs
by darkbeaver | Jan 12th, 2008
1
Spacecraft reveals 'gigantic oceans on Titan'
by Blackleaf | Mar 14th, 2007
11
Canada in the Crosshairs
by Jo Canadian | Dec 19th, 2005
no new posts