Canada Has Massive Geothermal Power

dumpthemonarchy

House Member
Jan 18, 2005
Vancouver
www.cynicsunlimited.com
Scientists at the federal Geological Survey of Canada say we can generate all the electricity we need from geothermal, and produce far fewer greenhouse gas emissions. It is safer than nuclear and it not fickle like wind and solar power because the rocks under the earth are hot 24/7. It would make the proposed Site C dam in BC unnecessary which is causing a political controversy over flooding.

It seems likely we could easily generate enough energy from geothermal to make as many electric cars as as we want. This could be an energy game changer. Yet why don't environmentalists support this? They are opposed to too much perhaps, too negative by nature.

http://www.vancouversun.com/technol...e+geothermal+energy+Report/5396759/story.html

B.C., Canada sitting on 'massive' store of geothermal energy: Report

By Margaret Munro, Postmedia News September 13, 2011

VANCOUVER — A "massive" store of clean, renewable energy is sitting at Canadians' feet, according to a federal report on geothermal energy.

Tapping into hot rocks that are tantalizingly close to the surface in western and northern Canada could generate more electricity than the entire country now consumes and generate few greenhouse gas emissions, says the report by a team of 12 scientists led by Stephen Grasby at the federal Geological Survey of Canada.

"As few as 100 projects could meet Canada's energy needs," according to the team's findings, to be presented at a geothermal conference in Toronto on Thursday.

The 322-report suggests the clean, renewable source of energy could be a game-changer.

"Canada's in-place geothermal power exceeds one million times Canada's current electrical consumption," the report says.

The heat is closest to the surface in large swaths of British Columbia, Alberta, the Yukon and Northwest Territories, but the report says geothermal energy opportunities exist across Canada.

It notes that geothermal has distinct advantages over not only fossil fuels and nuclear energy but also wind, solar and biofuels, as the Earth's heat is available 24 hours a day, year-round.

Grasby said that geothermal is not without technological and environmental risks. But there is no question there is a vast amount of clean energy underfoot, he said, and the country is well placed to start drilling for it.

"Of anywhere in the world, Canada has the technology and knowledge to move this forward," Grasby said, pointing to expertise devised for energy exploration and mining.

Co-author Michal Moore, an expert on geothermal energy at the University of Calgary, said Canada should be testing advanced geothermal energy systems, as they promise an assured source of clean, reliable energy. Geothermal is free of the greenhouse gases generated by electricity plants powered by coal and other fossil fuels, he said, and it sidesteps the problems with nuclear power, which are making headlines again this week after an explosion at a nuclear waste treatment site in France.

"It is just silly not to take advantage of a heat source like this," said Moore.

Canada's fledging, and in many ways frustrated, geothermal energy industry welcomes the federal report.

Craig Dunn, chief executive officer of Borealis GeoPower in Calgary, said "people often look at us like we're crazy" when trying to promote Canada's "phenomenal" geothermal resource.

"Well, now we can now point to this report by a team of very reputable people," said Dunn.

Temperatures at the centre of the Earth hover around 5,500 degrees Celsius, which is about as hot as the sun's surface. The lava spewing out of volcanoes, and hot water from geysers and hot springs, give just a glimpse of the heat available within five kilometres of the surface.

One of biggest advantages of geothermal is that it is constantly available.

"You don't need the wind to blow or the sun to shine," said Alexander Richter, director of Canadian Geothermal Energy Association.

The biggest downside to geothermal energy is the high upfront costs. Wells must be drilled kilometres deep to bring the heat to the surface and plants must be built to turn the heat into electricity. It takes five to seven years to get a geothermal energy system operating, said Richter.

But once the plant is in place the energy, at least in theory, would flow indefinitely, said Richter, whose association is looking to Ottawa for more technical and regulatory support.

Geothermal energy has long been used in Iceland to directly heat homes and buildings, and it is increasingly used in the U.S. and elsewhere to generate electricity.

In conventional geothermal systems, hot water it is drawn up from depths and used to drive generators to produce electricity.

Canada has yet to plug into geothermal electricity but there are several small projects on the drawing boards in western and northern Canada.

But those projects just scratch the surface, said Richter and his colleagues. They estimate there are at least 5,000 megawatts of geothermal electricity available in B.C., Alberta, and the Yukon.

As evidence, Dunn points to northern B.C. where companies have hit on water up to 180 degrees C while drilling for oil and gas.

B.C. is "blessed" with so much geothermal energy that he said it could produce as much electricity as the controversial $7.9-billion, 1,100 megawatt Site C hydroelectric dam proposed by the B.C. government.

"You would not need to build Site C if you chose to develop the geothermal resources in northeast B.C.," said Dunn, who also sees plenty of the Earth's heat going to waste in Alberta.

One Alberta energy company has wells producing two per cent gas and 98 per cent hot water, which at 80 degrees C is hot enough to make plenty of power, said Dunn.

"Enhanced" geothermal holds the potential to generate even more energy and is available across the country, says the report. It entails drilling deep wells and then fracturing or "fracking" rock several kilometres underground.

Water, or possibly even carbon dioxide gas, is injected down the wells and migrates through the cracked rocks to capture heat. The heated water, or CO2, is then brought back to the surface to produce electricity, said Grasby, who notes enhanced geothermal systems are being tested in Europe and Australia.

He and his colleagues estimate 100 enhanced geothermal plants could supply all of Canada's electricity needs. The researchers point to the Meager Mountain, about 150 kilometres north of Vancouver, as one of the most promising sites. Water hotter than 270 degrees C was discovered three kilometres underground at Meager Mountain when exploratory wells were drilled there as part of a national geothermal energy program, which ended in 1986.

Bar Sinister

Executive Branch Member
Jan 17, 2010
Edmonton
Good article. I suspect, however, that there will be little interest from the federal government or any provincial on this. After all the oil and coal industries already have the lion's share of R&D funds and there simply is not enough left over. And, of course, there is the natural resistance of most investors and of government to technological innovation.

bill barilko

Senate Member
Mar 4, 2009
Vancouver-by-the-Sea
Good article. I suspect, however, that there will be little interest from the federal government or any provincial on this. After all the oil and coal industries already have the lion's share of R&D funds and there simply is not enough left over. And, of course, there is the natural resistance of most investors and of government to technological innovation.
Pretty much my thoughts on the subject as well-we hear about this resource every decade or so but then it sinks from view.

Cliffy

Standing Member
Nov 19, 2008
Nakusp, BC
The big money is invested heavily in oil and coal and their self interest is unwilling to look at alternatives until oil and coal become too expensive to obtain. Tesla had devised a way for everybody to have free electricity and the money brokers (JP Morgan mainly) had Tesla shut down, ridiculed and labeled crazy, literally destroying him and any chance for people to have cheap power. There would not be enough money in Geothermal to offset the profits they make now.

dumpthemonarchy

House Member
Jan 18, 2005
Vancouver
www.cynicsunlimited.com

And right now govts are spending billions on carbon capture, an unproven tech to put emissions underground, which many don't think will work. All the effort and money spent on carbon capture could go toward new geothermal plants, which can be profitable in 5-7 years. Geothermal is a proven and working tech right now and could lower GHG emissions. Fossil fuels get all the attention, good and bad. We have fossil fuel politics and the greens play an old tired game, protesting against pipelines, no wonder they don't get many votes.

Bar Sinister

Executive Branch Member
Jan 17, 2010
Edmonton
The big money is invested heavily in oil and coal and their self interest is unwilling to look at alternatives until oil and coal become too expensive to obtain. Tesla had devised a way for everybody to have free electricity and the money brokers (JP Morgan mainly) had Tesla shut down, ridiculed and labeled crazy, literally destroying him and any chance for people to have cheap power. There would not be enough money in Geothermal to offset the profits they make now.

I suspect the story about Tesla is a myth, if for no other reason than the fact that such a development would give anyone who possessed it an enormous military and economic advantage. And then, of course, there is the fact that countless electrical tinkerers have not come close to "rediscovering" Tesla's technology. There is a long-standing rule about such mythological technical discoveries and that is that if no one has come close to duplicating or even finding any evidence that they even existed, then they belong in the realm of fantasy and not fact.

Tesla's supposed invention of cheap electrical power seems to belong in the myth category rather than fact; especially as there is no real evidence he ever achieved anything close to power broadcasting. In fact Tesla is often credited with a number of inventions for which no actual evidence exists. The broadcasting of super-cheap energy appears to be another of these nonexistent inventions.

When reading about Tesla one is struck by the fact that he was as much a showman as he was an inventor. He frequently staged elaborate demonstrations of his work in order to awe the people he had invited to view his inventions and sometimes made predictions about his work he was never able to demonstrate.

Kakato

Time Out
Jun 10, 2009
Alberta/N.W.T./Sask/B.C
Petros has worked underground,he will tell you how warm it gets as you descend lower into the bowels of the earth.When I was in the coal mine we used to laugh at one guy who was going to drill a hole in Lethbridge and provide geothermal for neighbours and he now owns a big company that does just that.We also used to ridicule the guy that left the mine and bought a donut shop,he now owns 2 timmys and hes laughing all the way to the bank.

petros

The Central Scrutinizer
Nov 21, 2008
Low Earth Orbit
Petros has worked underground,he will tell you how warm it gets as you descend lower into the bowels of the earth.When I was in the coal mine we used to laugh at one guy who was going to drill a hole in Lethbridge and provide geothermal for neighbours and he now owns a big company that does just that.We also used to ridicule the guy that left the mine and bought a donut shop,he now owns 2 timmys and hes laughing all the way to the bank.
3C per 100m (average)

JLM

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 27, 2008
Vernon, B.C.

Lots of cops in that town I bet. :lol:

dumpthemonarchy

House Member
Jan 18, 2005
Vancouver
www.cynicsunlimited.com
Pretty much my thoughts on the subject as well-we hear about this resource every decade or so but then it sinks from view.

What about the Kyoto protocol about reducing our GHG emissions? Many coal fired plants are going to be phased out over the next few decades and what is going to replace them? We could look pretty good here. This time we might have to do something different and changing energy sources is obviously a traumatic change for some. But us consumers just want energy to keep our houses warm, I use electricity so geothermal works for me.

Geothermal produces about 5% of the GHG emissions of a coal fired plant. Yet you don't hear enough about that. Which also means less pollution, cleaner air.

petros

The Central Scrutinizer
Nov 21, 2008
Low Earth Orbit
What appears to be "green" is an illusion. We need the CO2 carbon capture from coal/nat gas for a solvent to extract even more fossil fuels.