Earthquake strikes off Vancouver Island's west coast

mentalfloss

Prickly Curmudgeon Smiter
Jun 28, 2010
and now for some real news..

Earthquake strikes off Vancouver Island's west coast
Shaking felt across Metro Vancouver and northern Vancouver Island

A magnitude 6.4 earthquake has struck off the northwest coast of Vancouver Island, officials at the Pacific Geoscience Centre have confirmed, but there are no reports of damage or tsunami warnings.

Initial reports estimated the quake was as large as magnitude 6.8, but those estimates were later downgraded to 6.4.

People report buildings swaying for several minutes from the Fraser Valley to Campbell River at around 12:41 PT p.m., but there are no reports of damage.

Honn Kao, a research scientist at the Pacific Geosciences Centre in Victoria said it's unlikely there is any tsunami danger but people should expect aftershocks. "Usually if the earthquake is bigger than magnitude 7 then there will certainly be a possibility that a significant tsunami can be generated. For an earthquake with this kind of magnitude 6.7, although the possibility is still there...we don't think the threat can be as devastating as those big ones," said Kao.

Translink spokesman Drew Snider felt it in his office on the 17th floor of a Metrotown building in Burnaby, east of Vancouver. "The blinds were swaying back and forth in the windows and it was really a cause for concern because it got so much more magnified by being up in the air. It continued swaying for about three minutes which was enough to make a few people nervous here," he said.

Earthquake strikes off Vancouver Island's west coast - British Columbia - CBC News

WLDB

Senate Member
Jun 24, 2011
Ottawa
They happen all the time. You only hear about them when they happen near people, which is getting to be pretty often seeing as we're at all the nice spots, and a lot of the bad ones.

MHz

Time Out
Mar 16, 2007
Red Deer AB
I assume the Rockies will make an effective break from any waves any quake out there will bring when the fault itself snaps.

talloola

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 14, 2006
Vancouver Island
yes, we definitely felt a tremor for about 3 seconds here in courtenay, it was quite noticeable, we thought it must

be the edge of a significant earthquake in another area.

My daughter and her sons just came back from a hike to 'cape scott', north tip of vanc'r island, glad

it didn't happen while they were there, pretty scary.

#juan

Hall of Fame Member
Aug 30, 2005
My wife and I were having a cup of tea on our sun deck during that time period.......didn't feel a thing......:roll:.

WLDB

Senate Member
Jun 24, 2011
Ottawa
I felt the one from Virginia here in Ottawa a few weeks ago. Also felt the one from Quebec last year when I was in Timmins. T'was strange.

Cliffy

Standing Member
Nov 19, 2008
Nakusp, BC
I assume the Rockies will make an effective break from any waves any quake out there will bring when the fault itself snaps.
The Columbia River system is one big fault line. According to some prophesies, Nakusp is supposed to ocean front property when the big one hits. Good time to invest in real estate in Nakusp.

taxslave

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 25, 2008
Vancouver Island
Pretty sure VI floats already so maybe a good shaker will give us a different view.
I missed todays quake cause we were tooling along one of the backroads around Merville at that time today.

Kreskin

Doctor of Thinkology
Feb 23, 2006
I was at work in Courtenay. I came out of the bathroom and everyone was all panicked. I asked what was happening. I didn't feel anything.

talloola

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 14, 2006
Vancouver Island
I was at work in Courtenay. I came out of the bathroom and everyone was all panicked. I asked what was happening. I didn't feel anything.

this evening when I went out in the backyard, one of my big flower baskets was on the grass under the
tree where it was hanging on a branch, guess the tree gave a shake, and down came the basket, it was
very heavy, glad one of the cats wasn't under it, one dead cat.

a definite jolt here, our hanging light over our dining table was swinging back and forth, but it was
over as fast as it started, about 4 seconds or so.

Kreskin

Doctor of Thinkology
Feb 23, 2006
this evening when I went out in the backyard, one of my big flower baskets was on the grass under the
tree where it was hanging on a branch, guess the tree gave a shake, and down came the basket, it was
very heavy, glad one of the cats wasn't under it, one dead cat.

a definite jolt here, our hanging light over our dining table was swinging back and forth, but it was
over as fast as it started, about 4 seconds or so.
It seems a lot of people noticed it by things moving, like hanging lights and curtains.

They expect some aftershocks for a few days.

talloola

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 14, 2006
Vancouver Island
It seems a lot of people noticed it by things moving, like hanging lights and curtains.

They expect some aftershocks for a few days.

We actually felt a 'jolt', similar to the feeling in the house when something explodes some distance away,
then noticed the light swinging.

If you were working in courtenay, you were in 'my' bank. Keep it clean now, sweep up after yourself
and no snacking at your desk.

JLM

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 27, 2008
Vernon, B.C.
yes, we definitely felt a tremor for about 3 seconds here in courtenay, it was quite noticeable, we thought it must

be the edge of a significant earthquake in another area.

My daughter and her sons just came back from a hike to 'cape scott', north tip of vanc'r island, glad

it didn't happen while they were there, pretty scary.

From what I can gather the centre was fairly close to Tahsis.

In Between Man

The Biblical Position
Sep 11, 2008
49° 19' N, 123° 4' W
I didn't feel anything either, but I suppose I'll be keeping an eye on my pets the next little while to see if they strangely start hiding under the bed. The animals alwayz know...;)

Kreskin

Doctor of Thinkology
Feb 23, 2006
We actually felt a 'jolt', similar to the feeling in the house when something explodes some distance away,
then noticed the light swinging.

If you were working in courtenay, you were in 'my' bank. Keep it clean now, sweep up after yourself
and no snacking at your desk.
Really, please give me a surprise hello when you're in there some time. Would love to meet you.