N.Y. man dies after rescuers accidentally drop car while trying to save him

Locutus

Adorable Deplorable
Jun 18, 2007
Wow.

NEW YORK — A young motorcyclist pinned under a car that had collided with him died Thursday after rescuers accidentally dropped the vehicle on him in a tragic incident in New York.

Karam Rampersaud, 21, was on his way to class at 8:46am local time when a Ford Taurus collided with his Kawasaki Ninja motorcycle at an intersection in Brooklyn, the New York Post reported.
As a result, Rampersaud was pinned under the car, police said.

Witnesses said seconds after cops and firefighters lifted the car, it slipped and crushed Rampersaud.
“The car was about four feet [1.2m] up,” said James Selder, 41. “Then the car just dropped right back down. Right on him. Everybody in the crowd screamed.”

Rampersaud was rushed to Brookdale Hospital, where he died.
The driver of the Taurus was a 70-year-old woman. She was issued a summons for failure to yield, police said
Rampersaud was studying to be a math teacher and was an A-grade student, his brother Ramon Rampersaud said.

N.Y. man dies after rescuers accidentally drop car while trying to save him | PoconoRecord.com

SLM

The Velvet Hammer
Mar 5, 2011
London, Ontario
That is tragic to be sure.

But you know firefighters, police officers, any type of rescue worker that I've ever heard speak of what they do always speak of the inherent risks and dangers involved. Not only to themselves but also for those whom they are attempting to rescue. I think it is through excellent training and great fortune that these scenarios turn out well most of the time.

Only Hollywood has happy endings all the time.

taxslave

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 25, 2008
Vancouver Island
I don't suppose there is a video anywhere? It seems odd that they would raise the car 4 feet to start with and even odder that it would not be well blocked. Accidents do happen even to the well trained.

gerryh

Time Out
Nov 21, 2004
Video shows a brainless cop using "the jaws of life" as a jack to the lift the car.

lone wolf

Grossly Underrated
Nov 25, 2006
In the bush near Sudbury
I see fire departments using the Jaws to lift cars. They're not just for busting doors. Wood blocks make safe choks. They don't roll or slip on asphalt. I wonder if anyone checked to be sure the car was in Park....

taxslave

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 25, 2008
Vancouver Island
Video shows a brainless cop using "the jaws of life" as a jack to the lift the car.

In your case brainless idiot mouths off about something which he knows not. Again.
Having had a fair amount of training in extrication I watched this about 6 times now. First off the car was no where near 4 ft off the ground. The wheels are still touching. That is not the best place to lift with the jaws, under the side close to a wheel, blocking as you go is preferable but we can't see enough to tell if that was possible or not in this case. Nothing wrong with the wheel chocks that I could see. Didn't see any blocking nearby but that may have been out of sight. It appears that the plan was to lift the car just enough to slide the victim out and then put him on the spine board. Not the best move either but they may not have had a clamshell. One does have to use the tools available.
There is a fair chance that relieving the pressure off the victim would have killed him as well.
Not sure why a cop was operating the jaws either. We would never let an untrained person operate ours but in the states they do a lot of cowboy stunts that sometimes backfire. Best I can say is that this was an unfortunate accident. Twice for the victim.
If an investigation report comes to our hall I will post it.

taxslave

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 25, 2008
Vancouver Island
Much better video. There was no one ready when the cop started lifting. That is why we don't let other people use our equipment.

taxslave

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 25, 2008
Vancouver Island
I'm not convinced that he would have survived even if the car didn't drop but it sure made for a sensational headline for something that otherwise would have been buried in the back section of the paper.

shadowshiv

Dark Overlord
May 29, 2007
Much better video. There was no one ready when the cop started lifting. That is why we don't let other people use our equipment.

So would that open the door for a lawsuit by the victim's family or would it fall under accidental death?

taxslave

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 25, 2008
Vancouver Island
So would that open the door for a lawsuit by the victim's family or would it fall under accidental death?

In the US farting in your own house could precipitate a lawsuit.
Good Samaritan act does not apply to professionals. If you or I came upon an accident and tried to help we would be covered under this act if things went south. If I was to show up in turnout gear in a fire dept vehicle even though we are volunteers I would not be covered under the good samaritan act. We have liability insurance for this purpose.

shadowshiv

Dark Overlord
May 29, 2007
In the US farting in your own house could precipitate a lawsuit.
Good Samaritan act does not apply to professionals. If you or I came upon an accident and tried to help we would be covered under this act if things went south. If I was to show up in turnout gear in a fire dept vehicle even though we are volunteers I would not be covered under the good samaritan act. We have liability insurance for this purpose.

Thank you for the clarification, taxslave.

DaSleeper

Trolling Hypocrites
May 27, 2007
Northern Ontario,
Seems like they had enough people there to lift the car by hand...

Well I just saw a clip on BT (Breakfast Television) that showed just that....a motorcycle driver, pinned under a car, the motorcyle on fire in front of the car and a bunch of people lift the car and one drags the guy from underneath as the recue vehicles arrive.
I didn't get where it happened...there should be videos out on youtube soon.

What no one thought of in excitement of the moment was to open the car doors and use them as leverage....only a few people could have done it.

Once won a bet flipping an old volkswagen beetle using the car door as a lever.

Edit: Found a link with video Bystanders-lift-burning-car-rescue-man-beneath/

Last edited: