16 year old Vernon girl stabbed

JLM
More of the same kind of sh*t we were discussing yesterday, it's pandemic and it's time to take "the bull by the horns". The perpetrator is 15 and can't be located.

CHBC Okanagan | 16 year old Vernon girl stabbed

Ariadne
Something is so very twisted around in the heads of teenaers today ... I'm really beginning to wonder how make-believe TV programs have influenced their decisions and perceptions ... or perhaps they're just a generation of angry people that place no value on life - not even their own.

gerryh
+3
#3  Top Rated Post
More stupidity from the terminally stupid.

As if their weren't stupid kids like this in the past. As if there weren't gangs in the past.

As if every new generation of Adults didn't say...."what's wrong with kids today."

Cliffy

From August of 1978

My all time favourite Lampoon cover:

petros
There is one every 30 minutes in Regina. You'll get used to it as Vernon grows.

JLM
Quote: Originally Posted by AriadneView Post

Something is so very twisted around in the heads of teenaers today ... I'm really beginning to wonder how make-believe TV programs have influenced their decisions and perceptions ... or perhaps they're just a generation of angry people that place no value on life - not even their own.

I doubt if there is any single cause, but things have definitely deteriorated since it became customary for both parents to be working with no one to keep an eye on things at home, a second cause would have to be the idiot box!

Quote: Originally Posted by petrosView Post

Great............we are only 1/4 the size of Regina!

Quote: Originally Posted by gerryhView Post

More stupidity from the terminally stupid.

As if their weren't stupid kids like this in the past. As if there weren't gangs in the past.

As if every new generation of Adults didn't say...."what's wrong with kids today."

Not to anywhere near the degree there is today1

shadowshiv
+1

One of the main problems is that there is no accountability held towards these kids. They know that they will get a slap on the wrist(if anything) if they get caught. Until the justice system gets tougher on them, you will see this happening all the time.

Youth violence has always been around. The difference between now and then is that the suspects are coddled more and are allowed to hide behind a cloak of anonymity due to their age.

gerryh
Quote: Originally Posted by shadowshivView Post

One of the main problems is that there is no accountability held towards these kids. They know that they will get a slap on the wrist(if anything) if they get caught. Until the justice system gets tougher on them, you will see this happening all the time.

Youth violence has always been around. The difference between now and then is that the suspects are coddled more and are allowed to hide behind a cloak of anonymity due to their age.

No, the difference is now you hear about it....every time..... and before you didn't, unless it directly effected you.

Ron in Regina
If the perpetrator is 15 years old, the absolute maximum penalty is 7yrs,
of which only 1/2 of that can be served in closed custody, minus time
on remand (usually counted as at least double time).

Worse case for this 15yr old is that they'd still be out on the street before
they're old enough to legally vote.

shadowshiv
+1
Quote: Originally Posted by gerryhView Post

No, the difference is now you hear about it....every time..... and before you didn't, unless it directly effected you.

That is true, as the media coverage is more extensive than in times before, but they are coddled nowadays. I'm sorry, but if you are responsible for a violent crime, people deserve to know who you are.

Ariadne
Quote: Originally Posted by shadowshivView Post

I think the accountability is a big part of the problem, but I also wonder if some of these people have no life interests, passions and direction for their lives. They seem to have nothing better to do with their time than hang around, act tough and look for trouble.

My son met an acquaintance today and asked him if he recognized the name of the guy that attacked him. My son was told to stay far away from the guy because he hangs with a couple of kick boxers and they have guns ... that's just great, eh. Thugs, 18 - 19 years old, they're in the system, it's known on the street in this city of a million that the guys have guns and like to beat people up ... and it's just a matter of time before someone else is victimized. I really have to wonder how their lives can be so destroyed at such a young age.

The 16 year old that stabbed her friend just ruined her life, and she probably doesn't even realize it yet.

shadowshiv

I think the accountability is a big part of the problem, but I also wonder if some of these people have no life interests, passions and direction for their lives. They seem to have nothing better to do with their time than hang around, act tough and look for trouble.

My son met an acquaintance today and asked him if he recognized the name of the guy that attacked him. My son was told to stay far away from the guy because he hangs with a couple of kick boxers and they have guns ... that's just great, eh. Thugs, 18 - 19 years old, they're in the system, it's known on the street in this city of a million that the guys have guns and like to beat people up ... and it's just a matter of time before someone else is victimized. I really have to wonder how their lives can be so destroyed at such a young age.

The 16 year old that stabbed her friend just ruined her life, and she probably doesn't even realize it yet.

The thug has always been around. For some of them, it's not that they don't have any life interests, passions, or direction, it's just that their interests are contrary to what most people deem acceptable.

Ariadne
Having raised two daughters, and now raising a son, I had come to the conclusion that it was much easier to raise boys. Girls go through that difficult teenage time where they're all emotional and hormonal, making it difficult to rationalize with them. We worry about our daughters getting tangled with the wrong guy and being victimized because their emotions are in the wrong place ... things like that. I'm now of the opinion that boys are not really any safer, or easier to raise, than girls. The concerns are a little different, but I think they also go through a time period where they can easily be victimized.

I think I have to somewhat agree with Goober (per comments in previous related discussion) that single parents homes are part of the problem. Homes where two parents are always trying to make ends meet and find some sort of personal satisfaction in the ongoing struggle to get ahead is probably another factor. I don't think that single parents raising children is the problem, but moreso the fact that many single parents set a pretty bad example while raising their children. Mothers, especially (because the children are usually with them) are probably failing their children. They are working, managing but not nurturing children and they most likely have a string of relationships before they remarry. Single parents are probably rather unstable while they are looking to fill their own emotional void. That, in itself, provides a very unstable home and value system for the children. I have known many single mothers that can't cope with their sons enery levels, so they turn to ADHD drugs to sedate their children ... whereas the best thing would be for the moms to take their children hiking for a day (or sports ... some healthy outlet). Children of parents that are not divorced can fall into the same abyss, but I suspect it is much more common in families where the parents are divorced at least once.

I suspect that some parents simply give up on their children when the children need them most. It's sometimes difficult to get into the head of a teenager and be able to communicate with them without them hearing something that isn't being said. They can react to what they think they hear rather than what is being said, and that can take a conversation in the wrong direction quickly ... which can lead to a "shutdown" between parent and child. I really wish that parents would set their worries, fears, goals and personal needs aside more often when they have a teenager that is getting so mixed up they turn their anger towards strangers and acquiantances.

petros
Quote: Originally Posted by petros

Quote:

Great............we are only 1/4 the size of Regina!

A quarter? You're off by a loooooong shot.

Quote: Originally Posted by Ron in ReginaView Post

If the perpetrator is 15 years old, the absolute maximum penalty is 7yrs,
of which only 1/2 of that can be served in closed custody, minus time
on remand (usually counted as at least double time).

Worse case for this 15yr old is that they'd still be out on the street before
they're old enough to legally vote.

Remand is now day for day and no more 3 to 1 and no more 2 for 1 in the pokey. It's all straight time.

JLM

Quote: Originally Posted by petros

A quarter? You're off by a loooooong shot.

Remand is now day for day and no more 3 to 1 and no more 2 for 1 in the pokey. It's all straight time.

How much? Our population is 55,000.

Ariadne
I have been reading about the case of Robyn Gardner in Aruba. Gary Giordano, the suspect, has a string of assaults against women, but no charges and no convictions because the women were too afraid to testify. Thus, the charges were always dropped. A week ago, I wondered how that could be ... how a woman could have so little faith in the system that they would not see it through when there was a rape, stalking or sexual assault. Two days ago, I was 100% in favour of doing everything possible to track down and prosecute the guys that attacked my son on the weekend. Having learned last night that these guys have handguns, that they like to hurt people, that police are aware of what they do and that they are still on the streets certainly makes me less inclined to get further involved. I think that's another factor in street thugs continuing to victimize people ... victims are afraid of repercussions and would rather have the street thugs forget about them and move on to the next victim than to be part of the solution ... because in doing so - being part of the solution, they set themselves up for further victimization.

petros
Your populaton is 36,000 according to City of Vernon website. City of Vernon, British Columbia

We are creeping up to 250,000 with another 60,000 in the burbs and countryside. We almost went metro last year.

Oh and another 70,000 that bounce back and forth between the city and the rezes.

JLM

Your populaton is 36,000 according to City of Vernon website. City of Vernon, British Columbia

We are creeping up to 250,000 with another 60,000 in the burbs and countryside. We almost went metro last year.

Oh and another 70,000 that bounce back and forth between the city and the rezes.

You are absolutely right, (within the city limits) but add another 11,000 for Coldstream and another 8,000 for the rural area (within 10 miles of Vernon)

petros
Quote: Originally Posted by JLMView Post

You are absolutely right, (within the city limits) but add another 11,000 for Coldstream and another 8,000 for the rural area (within 10 miles of Vernon)

You'd still be 1/10th

mentalfloss
+1
To be fair - she's from a place called "Vernon". This might be the out she needed.

petros
Quote: Originally Posted by mentalflossView Post

To be fair - she's from a place called "Vernon". This might be the out she needed.

A life of picking fruit or being a cashier at Overwaitea is a dream we all aspire to.

Ariadne
Police are still looking for the 15 year old girl ... and she's obviously not sitting in an isolated place by herself, so someone is helping her right now ... some similarly misguided teen that thinks it's them against society.

petros
Is that what it is? I figured it was fear of spending the next 3 year in the Prince George kid's pokey?

johnsoncreek
These same two girls were involved in a brutal beating of another 16 year old girl earlier this year. My stepdaughter. Police arrest two after girl beaten at Vernon house party

They were brought in but the crown dropped the charges because of conflicting statements. Unfortunately my stepdaughter was asleep when the attack took place. So she was unable to positively identify the two. Although everyone knew what had happened. The same girls later also started coming by our house and making threats, trying to intimidate us. When we called 911 they took off. The dispatchers resonse was: "We know who they are but if they've already left theres no point in trying to chase them down." No car was sent to investigate. In the morning When I was leaving for work there was an empty jar that had a strong smell of gasoline sitting outside My daughters window. Needless to say, after only living in that residence for three months we picked up and moved to a different part of town. My daughter has left and is staying with family in a different town and may not come back for her last year of school. The lead investigator was next to useless in this case and we're in the midst of filing a lawsuit. There was at least two witnesses that told the police what had happened but because one of them was intimidated into reversing their statement the charges were dropped. While Im still angry at both of these girls, the attacker in this incident has had a long long history of assaults. (first one was when she was 11 I believe) And the crown knows this and had a golden opportunity to do someting along the lines of re-habilitating her. But due to an overworked judicial system and laziness on the part of the investigator. They let this one go through the cracks. And now a young girl may lose her life.

petros
If you want the cops to show up in seconds. Tell them you saw a gun.

JLM

You'd still be 1/10th

Oh, I was under the impression Regina has 200,000 (Saskatoon about the same and the province about a million)

Quote: Originally Posted by johnsoncreekView Post

These same two girls were involved in a brutal beating of another 16 year old girl earlier this year. My stepdaughter. Police arrest two after girl beaten at Vernon house party

A letter to the editors of some Okanagan Dailies might not do any harm.

Quote: Originally Posted by mentalflossView Post

Meaning what???????????????

petros
Quote:

Oh, I was under the impression Regina has 200,000 (Saskatoon about the same and
the province about a million).

Noooo not anymore 230 something and that doesn't include the burbs. Even Moose Jaw just got 4km closer in the a past year. Growing like a prairie fire. There are jobs for every unemployed person in Vernon and the rest of the OK. Bus tickets instead of welfare would clean the valley up in no time.

We have an unwritten clause these days. Work or freeze because welfare doesn't come close to covering rent.

Ariadne
Quote: Originally Posted by johnsoncreekView Post

They were brought in but the crown dropped the charges because of conflicting statements. Unfortunately my stepdaughter was asleep when the attack took place. So she was unable to positively identify the two. Although everyone knew what had happened. The same girls later also started coming by our house and making threats, trying to intimidate us. When we called 911 they took off. The dispatchers resonse was: "We know who they are but if they've already left theres no point in trying to chase them down." No car was sent to investigate. In the morning When I was leaving for work there was an empty jar that had a strong smell of gasoline sitting outside My daughters window. Needless to say, after only living in that residence for three months we picked up and moved to a different part of town. My daughter has left and is staying with family in a different town and may not come back for her last year of school. The lead investigator was next to useless in this case and we're in the midst of filing a lawsuit. There was at least two witnesses that told the police what had happened but because one of them was intimidated into reversing their statement...

Quote has been trimmed, See full post: View Post
Thank you for your post. It's my understanding too that unless there is an eye witness identification and witnesses that are not afraid to come forward, the prosecutor cannot be sure of a conviction. As a result, they wait for more evidence. Unfortunately, that often results in the situation we have with the stabbing ... the violence has to escalate to a serious injury or death before the evidence is there.

These children seem to think that laws are for other people, and they live within some sort of vigilante world where they perceive injustices that aren't even there and then retaliate 10 fold. I think you are wise to keep your daughter safely away from these street thugs.

I have heard about a provincial based victim's assistance program that compensates victims of random attacks. It may be worth exploring. Here, the paperwork must be filed within 2 years of the assault and the compensation varies depending on the severity of the consequences. There are psychological as well as physical injuries that people suffer as a result of a random attack - which I'm sure you are all too familiar with ... with fear being a big factor that alters someone's ability to function independently after an attack.

JLM

Thank you for your post. It's my understanding too that unless there is an eye witness identification and witnesses that are not afraid to come forward, the prosecutor cannot be sure of a conviction. As a result, they wait for more evidence. Unfortunately, that often results in the situation we have with the stabbing ... the violence has to escalate to a serious injury or death before the evidence is there.

These children seem to think that laws are for other people, and they live within some sort of vigilante world where they perceive injustices that aren't even there and then retaliate 10 fold. I think you are wise to keep your daughter safely away from these street thugs.

I have heard about a provincial based victim's assistance program that compensates victims of random attacks. It may be worth exploring. Here, the paperwork must be filed within 2 years of the assault and the compensation varies depending on the severity of the consequences. There are psychological as well as physical injuries that people suffer as a result of a random attack - which I'm sure you are all too familiar with ... with fear being a big factor that alters someone's ability to function independently after an attack.

About 12 years ago at a bar in Calgary while my son was up on the dance floor, he got hit over the head with a beer bottle (every patron and worker saw it) and required umpteen stitches, had some clothes ruined, missed some work, but he did receive over $8000 from the compensation fund. But that may have depended on the perpetrator being charged and convicted. If I remember right I think he was fined several $thousand.

You'd still be 1/10th

Well, I'd buy 1/5.

johnsoncreek

Yes, thank you. I did hear about the victims assistance program. Not from the police, but I found out on my own through the internet. It has been quite a few months now and we may finally see some compensation from them. The problem is that my daughter was from Alberta and had not had her medical switched over to BC medical yet. The problems that occured from that were horrendous. She was suffering from severe headaches, but the doctor wouldnt prescribe any meds until she had a mental assesment and counceling done at our own cost. With the cost of the unexpected move things were getting tight financially. It was just easier for her to go back to alberta where her health care was still being taken seriously and she recieved the help she needed there. We were turned away from the optometrist and the dentist here in BC as well. We were told by the secretary at the optometrists office that we were neglectful as parents for not having her medical switched over within the three months that we were here. All in all it was a very un-welcoming experience. It felt like Alberta was Mexico and we were claiming refugee status. I thought health care in canada was a right, no matter which province you were from.

But the majority of the stress from our incident is over. Whats sad is that everyone involved knew what kind of girls they were and seemed to be too scared to do anything about it. They were beating up girls on a weekly basis to "initiate them" whether they wanted to be a part of their group or not. My daughter was by no means the first, and if nothing is done Im sure she wont be the last. Hopefully this girl, as involved as she was, doesnt lose her life over it. No mistake is worth that. And hopefully they track down this missing girl before she hurts someone else. She obviously has no hope for herself and feels now more than ever that she has nothing to lose.