12 dead in Nunavut plane crash

Locutus

Adorable Deplorable
Jun 18, 2007
Twelve people are dead after a plane crashed near Resolute Bay, Nunavut, Saturday afternoon.

The airline, First Air, confirmed there were there were 11 passengers and four crew members on board. The three survivors have been treated at a medical centre.

There is no word on who died in the crash.

The plane, a Boeing 737-200, had taken off from Yellowknife and was to land at Resolute Bay. The last reported communication with the plane was at 12:40 p.m. The plane crashed at approximately 12:50 p.m. local time, eight kilometres from the Resolute Bay airport.
Members of the Canadian Forces who were in the area taking part in Operation Nanook responded to the scene. Officials with the Transportation Safety Board of Canada are also on the scene.

The weather in Resolute Bay was cloudy with showers and fog patches.

Plane crashes in Nunavut: Reports | Canada | News | Toronto Sun

Ron in Regina

"Voice of the West" Party
Apr 9, 2008
Regina, Saskatchewan
This being mid-August, I heard it was -2c there a few days back. I assumed
it might have been an icy runway 'till I read about the "cloudy with showers &
fog patches" part....but....maybe there still might have been ice involved.

Maybe not ice, but icing....

Ocean Breeze

Hall of Fame Member
Jun 5, 2005
This being mid-August, I heard it was -2c there a few days back. I assumed
it might have been an icy runway 'till I read about the "cloudy with showers &
fog patches" part....but....maybe there still might have been ice involved.

Maybe not ice, but icing....

So very very tragic. .......there are no words.:-(

Kreskin

Doctor of Thinkology
Feb 23, 2006
The irony is the first responders were a contingent of military personnel who were about to stage an air crash rescue.

Kakato

Time Out
Jun 10, 2009
Alberta/N.W.T./Sask/B.C
The irony is the first responders were a contingent of military personnel who were about to stage an air crash rescue.
They were a few miles from the runway when they crashed,I flew on that same jet many times and my condolences go out to the crew and other passengers.I spent most of this year working with first air unloading there 2 hercs to resupply our arctic camp and they are a first class airline and very professional.

Locutus

Adorable Deplorable
Jun 18, 2007

From a reporter covering Operation Nanook.

Ocean Breeze

Hall of Fame Member
Jun 5, 2005
Condolences and caring thoughts to all the families and friends of those that died. It is their lives that have been torn apart in just a few moments of this tragedy. .......and can never be the same. The void & pain left can be intolerable.as is the shock, & grief.

#juan

Hall of Fame Member
Aug 30, 2005
I just watched Nicole Williamson, one of the three survivors of the crash,
interviewed by Peter Mansbridge. What a remarkable young woman. She
told her story in a calm, intelligent way, that has made me watch it at
least three times. Nicole Williamson will be studying for her master's degree
in geology at Carlton University in October.
My heart goes out to all those who lost people in that accident and I certainly
wish the best to the three who survived.

Kreskin

Doctor of Thinkology
Feb 23, 2006
Thanks for the link. Watched it. She was very articulate and insightful. Great interview.

shadowshiv

Dark Overlord
May 29, 2007
EDMONTON -- Tragedy has struck Canada’s north yet again after two people died and two others were injured in a Tuesday crash.
About 3 p.m., a plane carrying four people — three passengers and the pilot — went down near the remote northern community of Lutselk’e, east of Yellowknife.
Two people were killed. The others sustained critical injuries.
Click here to see map of where it happened
The crash came almost two weeks since two people were killed and seven others injured when a Twin Otter float plane went down between two buildings in a residential area in Yellowknife.
According to Earl Blacklock of the territory’s transportation department, the plane went down approximately 25 km from the Lutselk’e airport.
Due to the remoteness of the area, rescue crews were flown in by a Hercules search-and-rescue aircraft, and Twin Otter plane, which landed nearly 10 km from the crash site on the rugged terrain, forcing rescue crews to hike to the wreckage.
“They have found survivors,” said Blacklock, who wasn’t sure if there were any fatalities.
“That’s all I have at this point.”
Brian Green works at the only general store in the small northern community of approximately 300 people on the east arm of Great Slave Lake.
He said the plane belongs to Air Tindi, and arrives from Yellowknife every day around noon, delivering supplies to the store and other services in the community.
But on Tuesday the plane never came.
“My driver went to the airport to wait for the flight, but they turned back due to bad weather,” said Green, who noted it was a bit foggy and rainy, but there was no wind.
“We assumed they had gone back to Yellowknife safely.”
Air Tindi is based in Yellowknife and operates daily flights to isolated communities.
Company president Chuck Parker said the plane was a Cessna 208 Caravan that was heading from Yellowknife to Lutselk’e. He declined to provide further comment.
The crash is the third to happen in the north in the past few months.
On Aug. 20, a passenger jet carrying 15 people was travelling from Yellowknife when it crashed near Resolute Bay, Nunavut, killing 12 people and injuring three others.

Unfortunately, my uncle was one of the passengers that did not survive.

Rest in peace, Uncle Tim.:(

Kakato

Time Out
Jun 10, 2009
Alberta/N.W.T./Sask/B.C
Sorry to hear,we used air tindi all year flying out of yellowknife and they are a very proffesional airline so it struck close to home at camp as we knew most air tindi pilots.
My condolences.