Sun News Network leads CBC and CTV in ratings

Locutus

Adorable Deplorable
Jun 18, 2007
During the afternoon and in prime time, Sun News programming bested the state broadcaster's News Network by more than 30,000 viewers. CTV News Channel was a distant third.

While Canada Live - guest-hosted by Anita Sharma - reached 72,900 viewers, according to BBM ratings data, the CBC's afternoon programming only had an audience of 37,900. CTV logged 34,000 viewers during the same coveted 3-5 p.m. timeslot.
Even more remarkable is that while Charles Adler was reaching 82,300 viewers at 8 p.m. ET, the CBC could only muster an audience of 58,200. CTV was third place that night with 39,600 tuning in.

Later Friday, Byline with Brian Lilley tied the network record with an audience of 89,000. Sun News' 9 p.m. ET show throttled the meager 18,000-viewer audience for CTV, and nearly knocking the decades-old CBC newscast hosted by Peter Mansbridge off its taxpayer-funded pedestal. Joining the ratings successes, Ezra Levant's show The Source registered 57,000 viewers at 5 p.m. ET.
That crushed CTV's audience of 28,000 viewers and was within striking distance of CBC's audience of 59,200 over the same period.

These early ratings wins come at a time when Sun News is only available in about 5.5 million households, compared with CBC News Network in 10.6 million homes and CTV in 8.5 million.

"What makes these numbers truly impressive is that we don't receive over a billion dollars in taxpayer support to make it happen," said Sun News spokesman Luc Lavoie.

"On top of that, we don't have anywhere near the household distribution of CBC or CTV."

Sun News : Sun News on top

mentalfloss

Prickly Curmudgeon Smiter
Jun 28, 2010
That video is hilarious.

Good for them on the ratings, but Levant's smugness and: "That is a victory for freedom."

Retired_Can_Soldier

The End of the Dog is Coming!
Mar 19, 2006
Alberta
I actually don't care much for Sun News. I'm a traditionalist, I like the CTV setup.

But while were on the topic, will someone tell Brian Lilley to get a haircut.

That swirl on top of his head reminds me of

Andem

dev
Mar 24, 2002
Larnaka
Good for Sun News. I've been checking out their online videos lately and I find their frank discussion on media-bias and political correctness refreshing. Ezra Levant's show is really the only one I've watched but a good start to a not-so-traditional (read leftist) news network.

I still can't see how people can compare this to Fox News, though.

mentalfloss

Jun 28, 2010
Good for Sun News. I've been checking out their online videos lately and I find their frank discussion on media-bias and political correctness refreshing. Ezra Levant's show is really the only one I've watched but a good start to a not-so-traditional (read leftist) news network.

You think Sun TV is leftist?

I haven't watched much myself, but that's kind of surprising to hear.

Colpy

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 5, 2005
Saint John, N.B.
You think Sun TV is leftist?

I haven't watched much myself, but that's kind of surprising to hear.

I think you misread his post........he called the traditional TV media leftist, i.e. the CBC.

Considering the fact that in the last couple of weeks the CBC called the JDL a "terrorist " group, and called Jerusalem "a city in Palestine".......I'd say he is dead on.....

The CBC should not get a red cent of gov't money.

There's 1.2 billion a year saved.

Retired_Can_Soldier

The End of the Dog is Coming!
Mar 19, 2006
Alberta
I think you misread his post........he called the traditional TV media leftist, i.e. the CBC.

Considering the fact that in the last couple of weeks the CBC called the JDL a "terrorist " group, and called Jerusalem "a city in Palestine".......I'd say he is dead on.....

I do like like

She's cute.

Thus endeth the fluff post.

mentalfloss

Jun 28, 2010

Well as long as Harper is in power, the CBC will continue to be funded...

Conservative Heritage Minister James Moore says his government believes in the CBC as a key cultural institution and has no plans to cut its funding following his party's recent electoral victory.

"We believe in the national public broadcaster. We have said that we will maintain or increase support for the CBC. That is our platform and we have said that before and we will commit to that," Moore told CBC News in Vancouver on Tuesday morning.

"The CBC is the infrastructure around which Canadian arts and culture is built, so of course it is central and it is key," he said.

"It is essential for respect for all of our official languages and all of the regions of the country — broadcasting in aboriginal languages in the North," said Moore.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/arts/story/2011/05/03/bc-moore-cbc-funding.html

Funny.. that story isn't showing up on the sun network.. Odd that a non-leftist network doesn't report on some conservative decisions while a clearly leftist network (like the CBC) does.

Not reporting on stories that might influence your profit margin.. Hmm.. Funny how that works.

Last edited:

Andem

dev
Mar 24, 2002
Larnaka
CBC funding secure, heritage minister says - Arts & Entertainment - CBC News

Funny.. that story isn't showing up on the sun network.. Odd that a non-leftist network doesn't report on some conservative decisions while a clearly leftist network (like the CBC) does.

Not reporting on stories that might influence your profit margin.. Hmm.. Funny how that works.

Funny that. You must not have actually watched much of Sun News, because that is one of the points Ezra Levant has quoted in his show more times than I can count on both hands. In fact that exact quote from Conservative minister Moore has popped up on Sun News, again, more times that I can count on both hands.. and I just watch clips online from Germany.

mentalfloss

Jun 28, 2010
Funny that. You must not have actually watched much of Sun News, because that is one of the points Ezra Levant has quoted in his show more times than I can count on both hands. In fact that exact quote from Conservative minister Moore has popped up on Sun News, again, more times that I can count on both hands.. and I just watch clips online from Germany.

Well then! My apologies!

I tried a Google search based on the CBC headline + "the sun" and couldn't find anything.

EagleSmack

Hall of Fame Member
Feb 16, 2005
USA

Well then! My apologies!

I tried a Google search based on the CBC headline + "the sun" and couldn't find anything.

You got a thumbs up for your clip. I love those. Where do you get those again?

Any TV News media that is center and right of center must be marginalized and stopped at all costs.

As my liberal Senator said... it is time for the TV Media to stop giving equal time to what he decides is an absurd idea.

Cliffy

Standing Member
Nov 19, 2008
Nakusp, BC
Any TV News media that is center and right of center must be marginalized and stopped at all costs.

As my liberal Senator said... it is time for the TV Media to stop giving equal time to what he decides is an absurd idea.
He should censor himself then, eh!

Nuggler

kind and gentle
Feb 27, 2006
Backwater, Ontario.

Have to agree with you on this one, Colpy. Hell just froze over, yah, I know.;-)

They lean so far to the left they're damn near horizontal. leftwise speaking, eh.

Did they invent political correctness?? Good chance.