U.S. judge says man can sue Rumsfeld over torture

Praxius

Mass'Debater
Dec 18, 2007
Halifax, NS & Melbourne, VIC
U.S. judge says man can sue Rumsfeld over torture - CTV News

"WASHINGTON — A federal judge has ruled that former Defence Secretary Donald H. Rumsfeld can be sued personally for damages by a former U.S. military contractor who says he was tortured during a nine-month imprisonment in Iraq.

The lawsuit lays out a dramatic tale of the disappearance of the then-civilian contractor, an Army veteran in his 50s whose identity is being withheld from court filings for fear of retaliation. Attorneys for the man, who speaks five languages and worked as a translator for Marines collecting intelligence in Iraq, say he was preparing to come home to the United States on annual leave when he was abducted by the U.S. military and held without justification while his family knew nothing about his whereabouts or even whether he was still alive.

The government says he was suspected of helping pass classified information to the enemy and helping anti-coalition forces get into Iraq. But he was never charged with a crime, and he says he never broke the law and was risking his life to help his country.

Court papers filed on his behalf say he was repeatedly abused while being held at Camp Cropper, a U.S. military facility near the Baghdad airport dedicated to holding "high-value" detainees, then suddenly released without explanation in August 2006.

Two years later, he filed suit in U.S. District Court in Washington arguing that Rumsfeld personally approved torturous interrogation techniques on a case-by-case basis and controlled his detention without access to courts in violation of his constitutional rights.

Chicago attorney Mike Kanovitz, who is representing the plaintiff, says it appears the military wanted to keep his client behind bars so he couldn't tell anyone about an important contact he made with a leading sheik while helping collect intelligence in Iraq.

"The U.S. government wasn't ready for the rest of the world to know about it, so they basically put him on ice," Kanovitz said in a telephone interview. "If you've got unchecked power over the citizens, why not use it?"

The Obama administration has represented Rumsfeld through the Justice Department and argued that the former defence secretary cannot be sued personally for official conduct. The Justice Department also argued that a judge cannot review wartime decisions that are the constitutional responsibility of Congress and the president. And the department said the case could disclose sensitive information and distract from the war effort and that the threat of liability would impede future military decisions.

But U.S. District Judge James Gwin rejected those arguments and said U.S. citizens are protected by the Constitution at home or abroad during wartime.

"The court finds no convincing reason that United States citizens in Iraq should or must lose previously-declared substantive due process protections during prolonged detention in a conflict zone abroad," Gwin wrote in a ruling issued Tuesday.

In many other cases brought by foreign detainees, judges have dismissed torture claims made against U.S. officials for their personal involvement in decisions over prisoner treatment. But this is the second time a federal judge has allowed U.S. citizens to sue Rumsfeld personally.

U.S. District Judge Wayne R. Andersen in Illinois last year said two other Americans who worked in Iraq as contractors and were held at Camp Cropper, Donald Vance and Nathan Ertel, can pursue claims that they were tortured using Rumsfeld-approved methods after they alleged illegal activities by their company. Rumsfeld is appealing that ruling, which Gwin cited."

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------

Well hopefully they sue the crap out of him..... it's bad enough the US Gov can pull these stunts on non-US citizens, it's even worse when they can get away with doing it to their own people, especially when they're actually trying to support their corrupt cause, like the Iraq War.

Now as soon as people can start going after Bush.....

mentalfloss

Prickly Curmudgeon Smiter
Jun 28, 2010
It's a nice dream, but this guy was part of the same team that got away with putting the U.S. $3 Trillion in debt, so he'll find a way out of it.

taxslave

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 25, 2008
Vancouver Island
Unless he has a lawyer that is prepared to work for free for about 20 years this case will go nowhere. The government will simply burry him in paperwork.

Nuggler

kind and gentle
Feb 27, 2006
Backwater, Ontario.
It's a nice dream, but this guy was part of the same team that got away with putting the U.S. $3 Trillion in debt, so he'll find a way out of it.

Wasn't he also the same nutbar who helped put aspertame in soft drinks - after it boiled the brains of rats to which it was fed??

He's still walking around free after that, so, there ain't no hope nohow, no way.

That being said, I wish him all good luck and godspeed. One of my fondest dreams would be to have Rumsfeld, Bush, Cheney, and Paulson, sodomized publicly, in a cage, in Times Square, at high noon, by a HIV positive gorilla. :sex:

taxslave

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 25, 2008
Vancouver Island
Wasn't he also the same nutbar who helped put aspertame in soft drinks - after it boiled the brains of rats to which it was fed??

He's still walking around free after that, so, there ain't no hope nohow, no way.

That being said, I wish him all good luck and godspeed. One of my fondest dreams would be to have Rumsfeld, Bush, Cheney, and Paulson, sodomized publicly, in a cage, in Times Square, at high noon, by a HIV positive gorilla. :sex:

Why/ Do you have a specific gorilla in mind that you hate?

petros

The Central Scrutinizer
Nov 21, 2008
Low Earth Orbit
Does Rummy have warrants in any country? I know Kissinger can't go to the UK and there are a couple others too.

earth_as_one

Time Out
Jan 5, 2006
Look at the idiots defending a government's right to torture their own citizens. If someone told me 10 years ago, people would support their government torturing people, I wouldn't have believed it.

Colpy

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 5, 2005
Saint John, N.B.
Look at the idiots defending a government's right to torture their own citizens. If someone told me 10 years ago, people would support their government torturing people, I wouldn't have believed it.

Never underestimate the willingness of people to allow evil to be done to others.........

If this guy was tortured, I wish him every success. Obviously, at least one judge thinks he has grounds.

There is never an excuse for torture. And by that I mean extreme physical coercion, and I include water-boarding in that definition.

Sleep deprivation, isolation and other milder, non-contact coercive methods are more of a gray area.........

earth_as_one

Time Out
Jan 5, 2006
Under physical duress, people tell you what they think you want to hear, not necessarily the truth. Mental games and deception are more effective.

Ocean Breeze

Hall of Fame Member
Jun 5, 2005
Exellent !! Hope this opens the flood gates for more suits against him and his war criminals.

Highball

Council Member
Jan 28, 2010
This is one decision I'm very happy to see. Rumsfeld was a raider. he came to take and raid and take he did. All under the guise of "Immunity." Which I'm hoping was a sham and also illegal. This jerk needs to be hung from the nearest Yardarm until his feet quit wiggling. Along with him should go Dick (the Prick) Cheney! He was an American greed corps leader.

Ocean Breeze

Hall of Fame Member
Jun 5, 2005
This is one decision I'm very happy to see. Rumsfeld was a raider. he came to take and raid and take he did. All under the guise of "Immunity." Which I'm hoping was a sham and also illegal. This jerk needs to be hung from the nearest Yardarm until his feet quit wiggling. Along with him should go Dick (the Prick) Cheney! He was an American greed corps leader.

ABSOLUTELY!!! Heck.........given their lust for the barbaric .......they should hang three BUSH,CHENEY and RUMSFELD on the proverbial cross , and have people pay to see this crucifiction. (that would put a dent in the national debt )

I cannot believe just how low the US has sunk in the past decade. The problem is that whatever is recorded for history from this era.....will be a compilation of LIES so not sure that future generations (IF there are any) will truly understand the evil of this trio.

taxslave

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 25, 2008
Vancouver Island
ABSOLUTELY!!! Heck.........given their lust for the barbaric .......they should hang three BUSH,CHENEY and RUMSFELD on the proverbial cross , and have people pay to see this crucifiction. (that would put a dent in the national debt )

I cannot believe just how low the US has sunk in the past decade. The problem is that whatever is recorded for history from this era.....will be a compilation of LIES so not sure that future generations (IF there are any) will truly understand the evil of this trio.

Things really haven't gotten worse. It just seems that way because we have so much better access to information. The RCMP used to beat the **** out of people in cells since at least the 20s, we just never heard about it unless you knew the person involved and if you complained to the people in power you could expect a repeat performance. In the 17 &1800 the British Navy considered whipping as acceptable punishment for minor shipboard offenses.

EagleSmack

Hall of Fame Member
Feb 16, 2005
USA

Here she is calling for men to be murdered (either hung or crucified), and charging people to watch the execution... and she talks about the US sinking in the past decade!

Hypocricy

Ocean Breeze

Hall of Fame Member
Jun 5, 2005
Things really haven't gotten worse. It just seems that way because we have so much better access to information. The RCMP used to beat the **** out of people in cells since at least the 20s, we just never heard about it unless you knew the person involved and if you complained to the people in power you could expect a repeat performance. In the 17 &1800 the British Navy considered whipping as acceptable punishment for minor shipboard offenses.

one would like to think that we as a humanity have evolved since that kind of conduct took place with society's passive "permission".

Just because it happened , and still does.....(like the barbaric torture issue) DOES NOT MAKE IT RIGHT OR ACCEPTABLE.

Little wonder that gov't do their best to avoid transparency...... as they sure don't want the general public THAT ELECTED THEM into office to know what they do in those back rooms where true policy is made.

but agree.......fortunately we are more informed now and a lot faster. Of course the Gov't has the "National security" blanket to hide things behind.
t

Ocean Breeze

Hall of Fame Member
Jun 5, 2005
Please God, don't let us get THIS stupid.........

............too late.:-( (and let's leave "god" out of it. this is entirely a humanoid created situation- ya know. the inhabitant that is supposed to be able to REASON things out..)

gopher

Hall of Fame Member
Jun 26, 2005
Minnesota: Gopher State
''A federal judge has ruled that former Defence Secretary Donald H. Rumsfeld can be sued personally for damages by a former U.S. military contractor who says he was tortured during a nine-month imprisonment in Iraq.''

I'm betting he will walk out of court with empty pockets.