Passport fraudsters should be turfed: Poll

dumpthemonarchy

House Member
Jan 18, 2005
Vancouver
www.cynicsunlimited.com
I totally agree. Most immigrants are law abiding citizens who played by onerous rules to get here, not to punish the fraudsters makes a mockery of the immigration system. Just kick them out, no jail time. Quick and cheap. Letting people stay in Canada who lied as soon as they set foot in the country is a joke. People want to live in a law abiding country, it starts as soon as people arrive.

Passport fraudsters should be turfed: Poll

Passport fraudsters should be turfed: Poll | Canada | News | Toronto Sun

By Mark Dunn ,Senior National Reporter
First posted: Tuesday, August 2, 2011 3:00:10 EDT AM

OTTAWA - Canadians have little compassion for people who enter the country with fake passports and most support giving them the immediate heave-ho, a new poll suggests.

The Leger Marketing survey conducted July 25-27 found 73% of survey respondents want passport fraudsters kicked out of the country right away while 18% said the scammers should be permitted to remain while their cases weave through the lengthy and costly deportation process. Nine percent had no opinion.

Ontarians are more likely than Quebecers to support allowing the fraudsters to stay, with 27% support compared to 13%.
The online survey of 1,570 Canadians found that most respondents 35 years of age and older have no patience for foreigners sneaking into the country using false papers, with 78% supporting their swift removal. Respondents under 35 are more patient, with 61% calling for fast action.

A further breakdown of the results shows university-educated Canadians are more likely than those without a degree to support allowing the fraudsters to stay while their cases are heard (27% support compared to 13%).

Single people (25%) are more inclined to let due process run its course compared to married people (17%).
“Canadians are pretty universal in their viewpoint on this,” says Leger executive vice-president Dave Scholz. “Canadians are saying there shouldn’t be any grace period and we should move to get this done right away.”

The poll also asked Canadians their opinions about immigrants and social benefits.

Seventy-nine percent of respondents said new immigrants shouldn’t be showered with Canada’s generous social entitlements upon arriving, and that they should earn them over a period of time after working and contributing to the economy.
Only 16% of survey respondents said new immigrants should be granted immediate access to social benefits the moment they arrive. Five percent had no opinion.

Demographically, 86% of Canadians 55 and older said new immigrants should work for their benefits compared to 76% of those younger than 55.

Eighty-two percent of women and 76% of men agree with that sentiment.

Seventy-one percent of university-educated respondents and 82% of married people also said immigrants should work for benefits, as did 85% of those without a post-secondary education and 70% of single people.

“I think what we are seeing here is Canadians are saying you have to do a little bit of work before you get these types of things because we’ve done generations of work to get these types of benefits,” said Scholz.

The survey results come amid the federal government’s public crackdown on foreigners living in Canada who are suspected of war crimes. The government is considering expanding that program to publicly identify people suspected of a wide variety of criminal acts.
Immigration Minister Jason Kenney is a strong proponent of giving people the boot if they’re in Canada illegally.

The poll has a margin of error of 2.5 percentage points, 19 times out of 20.

Mark.Dunn@sunmedia.ca

Blackie

Feb 18, 2011
Alberta
“Canadians have little compassion for people who enter the country with fake passports and most support giving them the immediate heave-ho, a new poll suggests.”
These people should NOT be permitted to remain in Canada while their cases go through the lengthy and costly deportation process. Neither should people who arrive ‘by boat’. (e.g. people smuggling or whatever you want to call it). It should not be only people who are suspected of war crimes either. It should be all of them. (Think about the MS Sun or whatever they call it)
I have no tolerance for foreigners sneaking into the country using false papers or any other means.
I don’t understand at all how university-educated and/or single people support allowing them to stay.
I don’t believe these people should be able to get any benefits at all if they’re allowed to stay in Canada while their cases are heard. And again… These people should NOT be permitted to remain in Canada..
I think people who enter the country with fake passports, or the people that come ‘by boat’ should be sent immediately back to their country of origin. In fact I think these people should be red-flagged and not allowed to even try to ‘Properly’ enter this country. Actually I think the government knows when there’s such a boat (MS Sun or whatever they call it), it should be stopped and turned around before it even hits Canadian waters.
These people get more benefits from the Canadian government than I do, and I was born here, lived here all my life, and pay/paid all sorts of taxes.

dumpthemonarchy

House Member
Jan 18, 2005
Vancouver
www.cynicsunlimited.com
This is one aspect of international law the public seem to get, and the Conservatives too, that people who come into the country have less rights than Canadians born here. We know little about foreigners, they haven't paid to support our system, and they are here at our pleasure, not being citizens. Refugees and immigrants (until they become landed), operate under international law and it has a lower standard of proof than criminal law. Harsh but true.

People who come here must prove, over time, they belong, and they may fail and be forced to leave. Lie upon entry? You're out. This can never happen to someone born here.