BC Hydro Smart Meters: Big Brother in Your House

Because with these new BC Hydro smart meters they can cut off your electricity al will, change the maximum amount of electricity that a customer can demand at any time; and remotely change the meter's billing plan from credit to prepay as well as from flat-rate to multi-tariff. Then they will become little tax machines on our electricity usage. In every house.

Time for public hearings on this issue as Hydro tries to rush their installation.

Smart (for whom?) meters (external - login to view)

Smart (for whom?) meters

By Leo Vanderbyl, North Shore News July 24, 2011

Dear Editor:

Many people, including politicians, were surprised that BC Hydro would launch a $1-billion program to retrofit all the electricity meters in the province in a one-year time frame. It seemed to fly in the face of prudent economic restraint. These smart meters have been available for more than five years - so why the urgency now?

Some of the answer started to surface in the Vancouver Sun on July 2.

The annual meter-reading cost is more than $200 million. These people will be let go. Three-quarters of the way into the article, BC Hydro revealed that they don't pay these employees. They are hired by Accenture Utilities, a U.S.-based corporation. So if BC Hydro and the taxpayers who own it are paying to put the meters in, does Accenture refund the meter-reading savings to the taxpayer to pay for the installation? Or is Accenture, who masquerades as BC Hydro daily, paying for the capital cost and collecting the increased revenue and reduced expenses?

Something triggered a snap decision. The taxpayer must know who is paying and who is getting the rewards. The relationship between Hydro and Accenture is very cloudy at the best of times.

If you do the research on the meter, you will instantly discover the attractiveness to utilities. The retrofit cost could be recovered in two years. Doing the research also exposes class-action lawsuits against utility companies that abused the process.

The smart meter is a two-way communication device. The system provides a wide range of advanced features, including the ability to remotely turn power on or off to a customer, read usage information from a meter, detect a service outage, detect the unauthorized use of electricity, change the maximum amount of electricity that a customer can demand at any time; and remotely change the meter's billing plan from credit to prepay as well as from flat-rate to multi-tariff. The multi-tariff got a California utility in trouble.

The smart meter using the "Hall" effect captures all usage. The old meters used a very reliable "eddy" current motor and are almost indestructible. They could not read "in-rush" current of motors. This is the amount of electricity every motor needs to get up to speed. A rated four-amp motor will require 32 amps to get started for half a second. Every startup current for every appliance motor and every light bulb will be recorded. Every household will experience an increase in their bills. Up to five per cent for the same usage. In-rush current has never been recorded before so it's an automatic bonus to the bill collector.

All the new meters are wireless computers. They are either Wi-Fi or cellular-based in the 900 mHz to 2.4 GHz bands. They are capable of recording much more data than KWH's. Now your house can be shut off with the click of a mouse - but I'll bet the re-connection fee remains.

Every problem will be blamed on software glitches and hackers sabotaging the system. The system is rife for that event. Customer service will retreat outside British Columbia's borders.

We have the rivers and the dams. We own that utility. We must control the distribution process.

It's time BC Hydro had a major public hearing into the smart meters and all of its activities. This better happen before we discover that Accenture was the beneficiary of a sleight of hand.

Leo Vanderbyl North Vancouver

Copyright (c) North Shore News

I wish I knew how to post a pdf file to the forum. I have a form letter, written by a lawyer (I think) that states that you can threaten Hydro with a law suit if they try to install one of these boxes on your house. It is a dangerous invasion of privacy and since it is remotely read, the signal can be hijacked and your personal info used for all kinds of nefarious purposes. Everybody should have access to this letter so that Hydro can be flooded with them prior to their attempt to install.
************************************************** *********************************************

[* Your name]
[* Your account number as stated on your bill]
[* Your address as stated on your bill, including Province and Postal Code]

Certified Canadian Postal Mail # _____________________

B.C. Hydro
Attention: David Cobb, President and CEO
BC Hydro Building
503-333 Dunsmuir Street,
Vancouver, British Columbia V6B 5R3

Office of the Information and Privacy Commissioner for BC: Elizabeth Denham
P.O. Box 9038
Station: Provincial Government Victoria, B.C. V8W 9A4

[* Date of letter]

Dear Mr. Cobb, B.C. Hydro and all agents, officers, employees, contractors and interested parties,

If you intend to install a wireless "Smart Meter" or any activity-monitoring device at [*address of occupant], you and all other parties are hereby denied consent for installation and use of all such devices on the above property and installation and use of any activity-monitoring device is hereby refused and prohibited.

Informed consent is legally required for installation of any surveillance device and any device that will collect and transmit private and personal data to undisclosed and unauthorized parties for undisclosed and unauthorized purposes.

Authorization for sharing of personal and private information may only be given by the originator and subject of that information.

That authorization is hereby denied and refused with regard to [*address of occupant] and all its occupants.

"Smart Meters" violate the law and cause endangerment to residents by the following factors:

1. They individually identify electrical devices inside the home and record when they are operated, causing invasion of privacy.

2. They monitor household activity and occupancy in violation of rights and domestic security.

3. They transmit wireless signals, which may be intercepted by unauthorized and unknown parties. Those signals can be used to monitor behavior and occupancy, and they can be used by criminals to aid criminal activity against the occupants.

4. Data about occupants' daily habits and activities are collected, recorded and stored in permanent databases which are accessed by parties not authorized or invited to know and share that private data.

5. Those with access to the smart meter databases can review a permanent history of household activities complete with calendar and time-of-day metrics to gain a highly invasive and detailed view of the lives of the occupants.

6. Those databases may be shared with, or fall into the hands of criminals, blackmailers, law enforcement, private hackers of wireless transmissions, power company employees, and other unidentified parties who may act against the interests of the occupants under metered surveillance.

7. "Smart Meters" are, by definition, surveillance devices, which violate Federal and Provincial wiretapping laws by recording and storing databases of private and personal activities and behaviors without the consent or knowledge of those people who are monitored.

8. It is possible, for example, with analysis of certain "Smart Meter" data, for unauthorized and distant parties to determine medical conditions, sexual activities, physical locations of persons within the home, vacancy patterns and personal information and habits of the occupants.

9. Your company has not adequately disclosed the particular recording and transmission capabilities of the smart meter, or the extent of the data that will be recorded, stored and shared, or the purposes to which the data will and will not be put. I forbid, refuse and deny consent of any installation and use of any monitoring, eavesdropping, and surveillance devices on my property, my place of residence and my place of occupancy. That applies to and includes "Smart Meters" and activity monitoring devices of any and all kinds.

Any attempt to install any such device directed at me, other inhabitants, guests, my property or residence will constitute trespass, stalking, and unlawful surveillance, all prohibited and punishable by law through criminal and civil complaints.

All persons, government agencies and private organizations responsible for installing or operating monitoring devices directed at or recording my activities, which I have not specifically authorized in writing, will be fully liable for any violations, intrusions, harm or negative consequences caused or made possible by those devices whether or not those negative consequences are justified by "law."

This is legal notice. After this delivery the liabilities listed above may not be denied or avoided by parties named and implied in this notice. Notice to principal is notice to agent and notice to agent is notice to principal.

All rights reserved.

[* Signature]

[* Name, in full, of energy user and/or customer]

Last edited by Cliffy; Jul 26th, 2011 at 05:11 PM..
I warned you folks about 5 years ago this was coming but was scoffed at and told it was a "conspiracy theory".
How many appliances do you need to use for your 'sexual activity' to show up on a smart meter?

robot - YouTube

This is another attempt at the war on drugs, or that is what we will be told. The problem is people
will not change their habits and if they are prepared to pay for the power they use so be it. I don't
think they should be given this much power and the the people should respond by calling the MLA
Oh I know, no one calls their MLA, and that is exactly why these people can do what ever the hell
they want.
The time has come for the ordinary person like you and I to tell they politicians and those who
supposedly manage our utilities that we have had enough, We also pass the message by our own
personal ballot next election. From their, instead of going to sleep like the bears, until the next
election, we should become engaged in the affairs of government that has a direct impact on our
lives. That way the politicians will be kept on their tows.
Will be do that likely not, and if so we deserve what we get.
One more piece of individual choice at the mercy of bureaucrats.
It's not about the war on drugs, They'll just run generators or use sunshine. This about electricity having daily fluctuating rates as a commodity, nailing you with green charges for excessive use and shutting off your AC when Wal-Mart needs AC more than you do.
Quote: Originally Posted by petrosView Post

I warned you folks about 5 years ago this was coming but was scoffed at and told it was a "conspiracy theory".

Funny how a lot of those foil hatters are eventually proven to be right. But there are those who will defend the Matrix at all cost because they enjoy the taste of a juicy steak, not realizing that even a foil hatter can enjoy one too, in fact even more so because it is real.
The surveilance society is here and trying to get as up close and personal as possible. Time for some pushback in the name of democracy.
Last edited by dumpthemonarchy; Jul 26th, 2011 at 11:04 PM..Reason: spelling error
Prudent economic restraint is something the BC Libs are incapable of...They and the dippers have turned the province into one of the most heavily regulated and heavily taxed jurisdictions in the country...this must be resisted. However I'm not optimistic that they will change course. and booting them will only be going from the frying pan into the flyer...