Hydro One....only in Ont. thank Gawd::

Nuggler

kind and gentle
Feb 27, 2006
Backwater, Ontario.
Here's how she got started:: Thankee Wikki.

Hydro One was originally part of the Hydro-Electric Power Commission of Ontario, or Ontario Hydro, which was established in 1906 by the provincial Power Commission Act to build transmission lines to supply municipal utilities with electricity generated by private companies already operating at Niagara Falls. The first chairman was Adam Beck, minister without portfolio in the provincial government of Sir James P. Whitney. Beck had been a prominent advocate of a publicly owned electricity grid.
In the 1920s the commission began generating and distributing its own power when it was given the mandate to electrify rural areas. Besides building its own generating stations, it bought the transmission lines and generators of the largest private electricity company.

500,000 (center) and 230,000 (far left and right) volt transmission lines in the GTA, which Hydro One is responsible for.

In 1974 the Power Corporation Act reorganized the system as a crown corporation called Ontario Hydro, the name it was most usually known by.
In 1998, the PC government of Mike Harris passed the Energy Competition Act which authorized the establishment of a market in electricity. In April 1999, Ontario Hydro was re-organized into five successor companies: Ontario Power Generation, the Ontario Hydro Services Company (later renamed Hydro One), the Independent Electricity Market Operator (later renamed the Independent Electricity System Operator), the Electrical Safety Authority, and Ontario Electricity Financial Corporation. The two commercial companies, Ontario Power Generation and Hydro One, were intended to eventually operate as private businesses rather than as crown corporations.
By 2001, Hydro One had acquired 88 municipal utilities. In December 2001 the provincial government announced the intention to sell Hydro One under an initial public offering, however by April 2002 various groups in opposition to the plan were able to successfully challenge the government in the Ontario Superior Court, forcing a halt to the IPO[1].
In 2002 an electricity market began operating. However, critics questioned, among other things, whether the market was truly competitive or could ever become competitive, given that an electricity grid is not a private good

Here's what it's come to:: woe be us::from Ottawa Citizen with thanks.

Ontario power generators shell out $35M to get rid of surplus juice

Can you fuc king believe it!!! WE have to PAY these people to TAKE our SURPLUS hydro, and the Ontario Joe **** ass has to PICK UP THE BILL......And the price of Hydro keeps going UP .Why am I not surprised. It was a con job by cons to begin with.

So, all youse guys and gals who can vote in the upcoming Ont. election and think Hudak is a saviour, think again. He was tutored under MIKE HARRIS, is in league with him still, and is as bad a neocon thug as Harris, Harper, Baird, ............you name them.

Better forget all about the NDP. It will split the vote and we get CONNED again. Fool us three times. SHAME ON US. Hold yer nose and vote for the green energy Libs. It will mean lower prices down the road, less homelessness, less poverty, less layoffs.

A vote for the cons is a vote to eat all the **** we ate 10 or so years ago. A horrible example of recycling.

Just sayin

Last edited:

DurkaDurka

Internet Lawyer
Mar 15, 2006
Toronto
What really pisses me off is that every time I look at my hydro bill I see the "debt retirement" charge, like I'm somehow responsible for their debt. Not to mention that HST BS which adds another chunk to my bill.... what a scam.

Nuggler

kind and gentle
Feb 27, 2006
Backwater, Ontario.
whose idea was it it to privatize?

mike harris

What really pisses me off is that every time I look at my hydro bill I see the "debt retirement" charge on my bill, like I'm somehow responsible for their debt. Not to mention that HST BS which adds another chunk to my bill.... what a scam.

Big scam all around, Durka. Like the "health tax" which of course, is not really a tax:roll:

Hoodat says he'll get rid of the debt retirement charge, and the HST on hydro. IF he does, the lost revenue has to come from somewhere....................ONE GUESS...............Won't be from the "top 1%" .;-)

DurkaDurka

Internet Lawyer
Mar 15, 2006
Toronto
Big scam all around, Durka. Like the "health tax" which of course, is not really a tax:roll:

Hoodat says he'll get rid of the debt retirement charge, and the HST on hydro. IF he does, the lost revenue has to come from somewhere....................ONE GUESS...............Won't be from the "top 1%" .;-)

I think I'm going to skip the next election, I can't stomach voting for any of the three twits.

And voters didn't string him up by the balls because?

He left before the next election, his successor Ernie Eves was thoroughly trounced though, giving the Liberals back to back majorities.

petros

The Central Scrutinizer
Nov 21, 2008
Low Earth Orbit
I think I'm going to skip the next election, I can't stomach voting for any of the three twits.

He left before the next election, his successor Ernie Eves was thoroughly trounced though, giving the Liberals back to back majorities.
Ther was plenty of time to string him up by the balls. Was the entire population of ON drunk at the time?

DurkaDurka

Internet Lawyer
Mar 15, 2006
Toronto
Ther was plenty of time to string him up by the balls. Was the entire population of ON drunk at the time?

Ontario Hydro has a confusing history. I believe there was an uproar after Harris announced his intention to privatize, so the plan was delayed. Eventually, it was spun off into five different companies with the province keeping OPG and Hydro One (Generation and distribution.) I believe the consumer end of it is sold through private companies or municipal corporations. I included some links below:

Hydro One - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Ontario Hydro - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Ontario Power Generation - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

lone wolf

Grossly Underrated
Nov 25, 2006
In the bush near Sudbury
Because he baled out before his term was up, leaving Ernie Eves as the bagman - something like Multory did to Campbell

Too many cops around him - even after he jumped the good ship Lollipop

petros

The Central Scrutinizer
Nov 21, 2008
Low Earth Orbit
Did you at least get a reach around and a little bit of lube? Or were you too retarded by beer to know you were taking it up the ass?

Sounds like something a gay would do.

DurkaDurka

Internet Lawyer
Mar 15, 2006
Toronto
Everyone was hanging out down on Church Street thinking it was good idea to sell off "assets"?

The main segments of Ontario Hydro remain owned by the provincial government although the original plan was to privatize them.

"In 1998, the Progressive Conservative government of Mike Harris passed the Energy Competition Act which authorized the establishment of a market in electricity. In April 1999, Ontario Hydro was re-organized into five companies: Ontario Power Generation (OPG), the Ontario Hydro Services Company (later renamed Hydro One), the Independent Electricity Market Operator (later renamed the Independent Electricity System Operator), the Electrical Safety Authority, and Ontario Electricity Financial Corporation. The two commercial companies, Ontario Power Generation and Hydro One, were intended to eventually operate as private businesses rather than as crown corporations."

Ontario Hydro - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

weaselwords

Electoral Member
Nov 10, 2009
salisbury's tavern
You got to remember Mike Harris came in after the Devil incarnate Bob Rae (at least according to much of the print media) so Harris was given free reign thru his first mandate. Privatizing Hydro was only a small part of Harris' game, he privatized the 407 with a sweetheart 99 year lease, slash & burned the public service, decimated welfare and even after all that his government had the temerity to come at the end of the run with a 5.5B deficit. You would have thought with all the slashing & selling the budget would at least balance.