House Member
Jan 18, 2005
Vancouver
www.cynicsunlimited.com

petros

The Central Scrutinizer
Nov 21, 2008
Low Earth Orbit
What isn't making people feel safe? Stats or TV and fear mongerers who spout off about Muslims and immigrants?

BTW, Get a job.

Cliffy

Standing Member
Nov 19, 2008
Nakusp, BC
I saw this story on the CBC and it was very short, no women were interviewed. CBC spouts the official line and everyone knows it's bunk.
Whose bunk are you spouting?

Crime is down, people feel less safe... the reason is? Fear mongering from governments, media and people who just like to yell, "The Sky is Falling!!!!"

petros

The Central Scrutinizer
Nov 21, 2008
Low Earth Orbit
and people who just like to yell, "The Sky is Falling!!!!"
It's not falling. In Asia people are freaking out because the sky is rising. Therefore it is obviously just tilting. Nothing to worry about. Newton had that one cased while sitting on a teeter totter.

taxslave

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 25, 2008
Vancouver Island
Is crime down or are people just not reporting crimes anymore since very little is done about it? I'm thinking more about property crimes here.

Bar Sinister

Executive Branch Member
Jan 17, 2010
Edmonton
No one asked me, but then I am less likely to react to the media fascination with crime; especially as a good deal of what is reported in the news doesn't even originate in Canada. There is a tendency for many Canadians to believe that what they see on US reality TV is actually happening here rather than there.

We have had this discussion before. If the reported crime rate is down then it makes sense to accept that crimes are declining. So called "unreported crime" is just that, unreported. There is no real way of gauging how much of there is until someone goes out and measures it. But, of course, as soon as that happens then it becomes reported doesn't it?

mentalfloss

Prickly Curmudgeon Smiter
Jun 28, 2010
People still value isolated stories over concrete statistics.

We are one seriously screwed up society.

JLM

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 27, 2008
Vernon, B.C.
Canada's crime rate has dropped to its lowest level since 1973, according to Statistics Canada. Do you feel safer from crime?

1. <LI sizset="0" sizcache="142">20 %
    Yes
    6,208 votes

<LI sizset="1" sizcache="142">
    73 %

No
    22,752 votes

2. 7 %

Undecided
    2,200 votes

Total Responses

MSN Canada - The home of world-class services such as Hotmail, Windows Live Messenger, and News, Sports, Financial and Entertainment

73% say no

20% say yes

7% undecided.

I fully agree that the statistics are down but the number and per capita ratios of crime are up.

DurkaDurka

Internet Lawyer
Mar 15, 2006
Toronto
I feel safe in Toronto without a doubt, usually when I read about crime in the city it is in known high crime areas where you naturally have a higher chance of being a victim.

I really cannot understand how some Canadian's fret about crime so much, crimes rates in pretty much all the major Canadian cities are significantly less then comparable US cities. I guess if politicians cook up some stats and tell you to be afraid, you better do so.

JLM

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 27, 2008
Vernon, B.C.
People still value isolated stories over concrete statistics.

We are one seriously screwed up society.

"Concrete statistics"??????????? Where would one find them? :lol: Case in point- if we had more cops and more judges crime "statistics" would increase. :smile:

If you want an insurance claim you gotta report it.

Yep for major crime but for petty crime it will just jack up your premiums.

mentalfloss

Prickly Curmudgeon Smiter
Jun 28, 2010
I fully agree that the statistics are down but the number and per capita ratios of crime are up.

As far as I understand only Nunavut and the other territories have their per capita up.

Everyone else is down.

Tories judge evidence of falling rates inadmissible

As we have seen many times before, evidence doesn’t count when it comes to the Harper government and crime policy. Emotion apparently does.

Yet again, Statistics Canada reports that crime rates continue to fall across almost all categories of crime. And yet again, the government persists in proceeding with sledgehammer anti-crime policies that are costly, have been tried and abandoned in the United States, and, in some cases, will be counterproductive.

The average citizen, especially those who favour the Conservative Party, is told by political leaders that crime is on the rise, and needs to be fought with a bevy of harsh new measures. Then they watch the television news, where “if it bleeds, it leads” dominates local coverage. Then they turn to the tabloid press, or tabloid elements in the so-called serious newspapers, to read endless stories about crime. No wonder some people believe a crime wave is washing over Canada.

This week, Statscan told us that, happily, Canada’s overall crime rate is now the lowest since 1973, and the homicide rate the lowest since 1966. The agency began what it calls a “severity of crime” index in 1996. This year’s rate is the lowest since the index began. There were fewer attempted murders, serious assaults, robberies, car thefts, break-ins and petty thefts than the year before. Only a few crime categories, including drug offences, were up. But about half of these drug offences were for marijuana, hardly the stuff of grave peril to the established order.

These findings don’t matter for the Conservatives. They’re convinced that, for their supporters, the perception exists that crime is rising, or at least is being fought with inadequate measures. Crime is a hot-button issue for the faithful, and one that can be conveniently pushed when the party needs to raise money – because, don’t forget, the other parties are “soft on crime.”

So we’ll have more prisons (the costs of which will be higher than the government suggests) and worse conditions in existing prisons, longer sentences for certain crimes, a weakening of legal protections for juvenile offenders, less rehabilitation and more old-fashioned punishment. And we’ll close down a widely hailed prison farm near Kingston that taught prisoners the discipline of work. Once again, the evidence didn’t matter.

Tories judge evidence of falling rates inadmissible - The Globe and Mail

dumpthemonarchy

House Member
Jan 18, 2005
Vancouver
www.cynicsunlimited.com
Maybe the media, instead of using experts and expert stats, could actually talk to non-expert Canadians about crime and offer some additional insight on the topic. You know, people who are paid to talk about the issue. It can be a tricky topic because what people say and write must be balanced by their actual behaviour.

The media is supposed to do a little more than just report information the govt produces. There's no dialogue on the topic at present.

Here's an anecdote, I saw on one of Roger Moore's docs about the auto industry, he goes to Canada and finds out many people don't lock their doors in one Canadian city. He actaully tried to open their house doors to check. These residents don't feel crime is too bad if they keep their doors open. So, if people in many cities do not lock their doors, perhaps people really feel crime is down, despite feeling the contrary.

DurkaDurka

Internet Lawyer
Mar 15, 2006
Toronto
Maybe the media, instead of using experts and expert stats, could actually talk to non-expert Canadians about crime and offer some additional insight on the topic. You know, people who are paid to talk about the issue. It can be a tricky topic because what people say and write must be balanced by their actual behaviour.

The media is supposed to do a little more than just report information the govt produces. There's no dialogue on the topic at present.

Here's an anecdote, I saw on one of Roger Moore's docs about the auto industry, he goes to Canada and finds out many people don't lock their doors in one Canadian city. He actaully tried to open their house doors to check. These residents don't feel crime is too bad if they keep their doors open. So, if people in many cities do not lock their doors, perhaps people really feel crime is down, despite feeling the contrary.

Statistics Canada kindly compiles these sort of stats and makes them publicly available, come to your own conclusions....