Bell fined $10M for ‘misleading advertising’

SLM

The Velvet Hammer
Mar 5, 2011
London, Ontario
Federal competition authorities have hit Bell Canada Inc., the country’s largest telecommunications company, with a $10-million penalty for “misleading advertising” spanning the last three and a half years.
“The [Competition] Bureau determined that, since December 2007, Bell has charged higher prices than advertised for many of its services, including home phone, Internet, satellite TV and wireless,” the organization said Tuesday. “The advertised prices were not in fact available, as additional mandatory fees … were hidden from consumers in fine-print disclaimers.”

Bell fined $10M for ‘misleading advertising’ | FP Tech Desk | Financial Post

This caught my eye as I was reading my online news today. Personally, I haven't used Bell in years and I do fully believe that, bottom line, no matter who you are with in this country, you're probably getting ripped off. But, even for a company as large as Bell, a $10M fine is pretty serious money.

It does make me wonder though, since they've stated in the article that they are not appealing and will just pay the penalty, just how much did they make overcharging all their customers?

cranky

Time Out
Apr 17, 2011
Federal competition authorities have hit Bell Canada Inc., the country’s largest telecommunications company, with a $10-million penalty for “misleading advertising” spanning the last three and a half years.
“The [Competition] Bureau determined that, since December 2007, Bell has charged higher prices than advertised for many of its services, including home phone, Internet, satellite TV and wireless,” the organization said Tuesday. “The advertised prices were not in fact available, as additional mandatory fees … were hidden from consumers in fine-print disclaimers.”

Bell fined $10M for ‘misleading advertising’ | FP Tech Desk | Financial Post

This caught my eye as I was reading my online news today. Personally, I haven't used Bell in years and I do fully believe that, bottom line, no matter who you are with in this country, you're probably getting ripped off. But, even for a company as large as Bell, a $10M fine is pretty serious money.

It does make me wonder though, since they've stated in the article that they are not appealing and will just pay the penalty, just how much did they make overcharging all their customers?

so i wonder if a consumer could use this ruling to take bell to small claims court and sue for the overcharges.