Conrad Black back in hoosegow

weaselwords

Electoral Member
Nov 10, 2009
salisbury's tavern
How was Black convicted of Obstruction of Justice when & if the crime was committed in Toronto? I'm a little flummoxed should the Cdn government be appealing on Black's behalf he shouldn't convicted of a crime outside of US boders & jurisdication?

DurkaDurka

Internet Lawyer
Mar 15, 2006
Toronto
Considering that none of the crooks from Lehman Brothers and Goldman Sachs, who destroyed the economy, got any time, I feel that the punishment doled to Black is vindictive and heavy handed. They found him guilty of of stealing 600k or something along that line and then you have the banks that swindled people out of billions and they get a bailout. The system is ****ed. I have no love for Sir Black, but time he did is more then just for what he has done in my opinion.

JLM

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 27, 2008
Vernon, B.C.
Considering that none of the crooks from Lehman Brothers and Goldman Sachs, who destroyed the economy, got any time, I feel that the punishment doled to Black is vindictive and heavy handed. They found him guilty of of stealing 600k or something along that line and then you have the banks that swindled people out of billions and they get a bailout. The system is ****ed. I have no love for Sir Black, but time he did is more then just for what he has done in my opinion.

Perhaps you're right, maybe his air of arrogance just gets to me! :smile:

cranky

Time Out
Apr 17, 2011
Well, I think the sentence is high enough to be a deterent for the kind of people that might otherwise want to follow his footsteps. I wouldn't say that the corporate types are moral but the tend to hold to a set of ethics that will keep themselves out of jail

petros

The Central Scrutinizer
Nov 21, 2008
Low Earth Orbit
Well, I think the sentence is high enough to be a deterent for the kind of people that might otherwise want to follow his footsteps. I wouldn't say that the corporate types are moral but the tend to hold to a set of ethics that will keep themselves out of jail
Just like dope dealers they'll change their tactics.

YukonJack

Time Out
Dec 26, 2008
Winnipeg
I lost all respect for Conrad Black when he betrayed and abandoned his Canadian Citizenship in order to become a Lord Emsworth like, P.G. Wodehouse character among his doddering fellow lords in the English Upper House.

Always felt sorry and pity for his wife, Barbara Amiel, for not being able to who Black was.

Having said that, isn't 're-sentencing' double jeopardy?

JLM

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 27, 2008
Vernon, B.C.
I lost all respect for Conrad Black when he betrayed and abandoned his Canadian Citizenship in order to become a Lord Emsworth like, P.G. Wodehouse character among his doddering fellow lords in the English Upper House.

Always felt sorry and pity for his wife, Barbara Amiel, for not being able to who Black was.

Having said that, isn't 're-sentencing' double jeopardy?

And I lost all respect for him when I found out he was pocketing money stolen from his shareholders- shades of Bernie Madoff! :smile:I'm not sure that it's resentencing, more like just reinstating the sentence already imposed, probably not wise to push that angle or it could piss back in that other's sentences may be reviewed while they are still in the hoosegow.

Praxius

Mass'Debater
Dec 18, 2007
Halifax, NS & Melbourne, VIC
How was Black convicted of Obstruction of Justice when & if the crime was committed in Toronto?

Maybe you should go ask Marc Emery about that. Breaking of US laws apparently don't stop when they're outside of their borders.

But I have no sympathy for Black.... and due to him and his lawyers constantly trying to use every loophole and excuse to avoid punishment, I'm glad they tossed more time on him.

Again, this is another example of someone not accepting responsibility for their actions and showing no remorse for what they did, thus further punishment is required to perhaps make it hit home.

For about 25 minutes, he unleashed an unrepentant speech full of pent-up opinions, not the least of which was the toll the eight-year legal campaign against him has taken on his family.

^ There you have it.... unrepentant, no accepting of guilt.... and trying to pull a guilt trip of the toll his own legal battle has had on his poor family (or should I say rich)

If he just accepted his guilt and just did his time, he probably would have been out a long time ago.

This happens to anybody who goes through the court system, knows full well that they're guilty and yet continue to fight as if they did nothing wrong. Admit guilt from the start and your punishment is less.... fight & drag out the court system for as long as possible and waste everybody's time & money and the punishment is more..... regardless of how rich you are.

When he was finished speaking, the judge went through a checklist of procedural explanations, leading to her justification for reducing his original 78-month sentence to 42 months.

Oh well that sucks, never mind then.... his sentence was reduced, get over it.

JLM

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 27, 2008
Vernon, B.C.
I would imagine there's ways and means of stealing from other countries without actually having to occupy space there. :lol:

Praxius; If he just accepted his guilt and just did his time said:
I would imagine that would apply more so now than any other time in history with the courts being so back logged and strapped for money to try all the cases, I'll bet a guy could get a real "bargain basement" deal on anything short of murder, mayhem or child molestation. :smile:

In Between Man

The Biblical Position
Sep 11, 2008
49° 19' N, 123° 4' W
further punishment is required to perhaps make it hit home.

Ah he's just a good 'ol boy! We should cut him some slack! There's people of much more questionable character that are routinely given slaps on the wrist in the courts. Besides, he served time as a model prisoner, he gets out for a tease of freedom and then has to go back? Just let him come home to Canada already and get back on his feet again... he'd do it for you. :)

JLM

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 27, 2008
Vernon, B.C.
Ah he's just a good 'ol boy! We should cut him some slack! There's people of much more questionable character that are routinely given slaps on the wrist in the courts. Besides, he served time as a model prisoner, he gets out for a tease of freedom and then has to go back? Just let him come home to Canada already and get back on his feet again... he'd do it for you. :)

I suppose he has one redeeming factor- he doesn't deal or import drugs. :smile:

coldstream

on dbl secret probation
Oct 19, 2005
Chillliwack, BC
The sentence in fact reduced the original term from 6 years and change to 42 months - less time already served (29 months).

Since the U.S. Federal system allows probation after 85% of the sentence for good behaviour, he'll likely only have to serve another 7 months or so.

It might do him some good, apparently he's spending his time tutoring other inmates in literacy, which is a far more useful application of his time, than his previous life of running previously viable corporations into the ground.