Aussie & Canuck riot kiss couple 'beaten by police' just moments before photo

Praxius

Mass'Debater
Dec 18, 2007
Halifax, NS & Melbourne, VIC

Vancouver riot kiss couple 'beaten by police' just moments before photo | News.com.au

THE Australian whose kiss in the midst of the Vancouver hockey riots went viral claims he was assaulted by police just seconds before the iconic embrace.

Perth man Scott Jones was photographed lying down in the middle of the street kissing his Canadian girlfriend, Alexandra Thomas. Details of the photo have until now remained unclear.

Mr Jones broke his silence to tell how riot police hit them with their shields as he and his girlfriend tried to escape the violence.

He told CBC the pair had left a bar where they had been watching the Stanley Cup final, when they became caught up in the riots.

"I went back towards her. They [the police] started beating us with the shields trying to get us to move," Mr Jones said.

"I don't know why, we weren't being aggressive towards them or anything like that, but eventually they passed over us and that's when we were on the ground.

"I was just trying to calm her down, it was pretty scary for her and it seemed like the best thing to do."

Mr Jones said his partner became "hysterical"� after the assault.

"I personally think they [the police] over-reacted, they treated us all like criminals," he said.

The couple said that the aftermath from the game was not the type of excitement they were expecting.

"It happened so fast," Ms Thomas said.

"I never expected it to turn into that situation so quickly."

The couple started dating six months ago after Mr Jones moved to Canada from Australia.

They plan to move to Melbourne after a three-week US holiday.

Video Interview located on above link.

I dunno... I kind of feel bad that they got caught up in it, but during such an environment the police need to make sure people keep their distance from them due to safety concerns, and if they were close enough to be "Beaten" by their sheilds, I'd say they were a little too close.

But hey, on the plus side, if they're moving to Melbourne, I'll say hi.

In related news:

Riot kissers hire agent to handle fame
Riot kissers hire agent to handle fame - British Columbia - CBC News

The couple caught kissing by a photographer during the Vancouver Stanley Cup riot have hired an agent and are heading to Australia to kickstart a comedy career.

Scott Jones, 29, came to Canada from Australia to pursue stand-up comedy. While working as a bartender he started dating Canadian-born Alexandra Thomas.

The couple became instantly famous after Getty photographer Rich Lam snapped a photo of Jones tenderly kissing Thomas after she was injured during the riot in Vancouver last Wednesday following Game 7 of the Stanley Cup final, which the Canucks lost.

The photo went viral and caught the attention of media and talk shows around the world. Now Jones is using the instant fame to help kick-start his comedy career back in Australia.

Jones and Thomas were already planning to head Down Under to work before they were caught up in the riot, but now they will be doing it with the help of a publicity firm that will organize gigs, endorsements and public speaking events.

earth_as_one

Time Out
Jan 5, 2006
A riot is a violent disturbance of the peace by a crowd. But not everyone in the crowd was rioting or committing acts of violence. Some like this couple were trying to leave a bar and found themselves in the middle of a riot. Other people in the crowd were actually trying to stop the rioting. I disagree with the police indiscriminately using violence against everyone in the crowd. Also the level of violence used by the police against individuals in the crowd should be a reasonable response to the level of the violence by those violent individuals. The police have a duty to protect the safety of law abiding citizens including those in the caught in the middle of a riot.

captain morgan

Hall of Fame Member
Mar 28, 2009
A Mouse Once Bit My Sister
And a riot isn't violence? What do you consider violence? The post office locking out their worthless union employees?

I sure do get a kick out of the headline as compared to the description by the "victim".

I can just imagine this slack-jawed yokel gawking around at the mayhem wondering what is going on.... Of course, when the cops show-up and tell Billy Bob to clear the area and move him along by pushing their shield against him, that constitutes a sound beating.

petros

The Central Scrutinizer
Nov 21, 2008
Low Earth Orbit
They were comparing the photo of the kids in Vancouver with this one on Global News the other day.....

Not even close!!

Mr Jones broke his silence to tell how riot police hit them with their shields as he and his girlfriend tried to escape the violence.He told CBC the pair had left a bar where they had been watching the Stanley Cup final, when they became caught up in the riots.
Just like 94 for me... when we got gassed for absolutely nothing while in line to get into the bar.

EagleSmack

Hall of Fame Member
Feb 16, 2005
USA
What did the boy's mom say again?

"Growing up he was never really aware of things going on around him."

She cracked me me. I have to get her quote as I did not do her justice.

Here is what his mom said....

"It is something he would do; that's our boy," his mother, Megan Jones, told the site. "He has always lived in his own world. He's special like that. He doesn't always connect with what (is) going on around him."

karrie

OogedyBoogedy
Jan 6, 2007
bliss
That's a hilarious quote. But, I think he was ABUNDANTLY cognizant of what was going on around him, and has played this one extremely well. First off... hot picture, oui non? He managed to be the gallant knight in a **** situation AND be seen publicly doing it. He's managed to come out and tell his story while not alienating the powers that be, and drum up some publicity for himself in doing so. Would you have known about the Aussie comic living in Vancouver otherwise?

Well played all around, well played.

Praxius

Mass'Debater
Dec 18, 2007
Puts me in mind of the riots in Halifax when the WW2 ended, it was the sailors way of getting back at a horrible city that hated them.

Odd, I never heard anything about that..... does a Wiki:
Halifax Riot - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Tensions had been building for six years as war transformed Halifax from a small and conservative backwater into what a British admiral called the “most important port in the world,” the Canadian Headquarters of the Battle of the Atlantic and the western terminus for the vital North Atlantic convoys to England. By 1945, Halifax had become a bustling, overcrowded, underserviced port city.

During the war, Halifax’s population doubled; its facilities did not. Landlords charged top rents for what amounted to closets. Merchants would take one look at a man in uniform and jack up their prices. There were huge lineups to get into the city’s few restaurants, several-hour waits outside movie theatres. There was no legal place anyone could go to buy a drink, but there were dozens of illegal ones. For their part, locals claimed there was never anything for them to buy on store shelves anymore because ungrateful come-from-aways had bought it all, or the military had commandeered it to supply a departing convoy. Though there were honourable landlords, friendly merchants and plenty of locals eager to make the visitors welcome, there were also rumblings from early on in the war that Halifax (“Slackers,” as the sailors called it) would get “what was coming” when the war finally ended. Fear, in fact, dominated planning for the celebration of the Allied victory. Organizers decided that on VE Day tram service would stop for the day, to discourage sailors from going downtown. Liquor commission outlets, restaurants, retailers and movie theatres all decided to shut and shutter their premises, ostensibly to prevent trouble.

Interesting..... it's still underserviced. :p

Praxius

Mass'Debater
Dec 18, 2007

Looks to me like they were right in the middle of a riot and front row/centre, clearly able to see the police coming at them.

I had a funny feeling it wasn't as innocent as they made it sound..... sorry, but if I saw a bunch of police in riot gear coming my way towards a crowd I was close to and I didn't want to get involved, I think I would have got off the street and to the side of the road, or better yet.... where these guys were taking the video.

Plain and simple, once I saw the riot police coming my way, I'd be leaving, not standing between them and the riot watching.