Policing Poverty ( Securing Homelessness )


GreenFish66
#1
Policing Poverty ( Securing Homelessness )


Anti-police stance alleged at homeless shelter | Ontario | News | Toronto Sun

Cops should be monitoring all Areas .Where needed 1st.

$ 12, 000 yr/per person, to house/feed Homeless/Poor.
$100,000 yr/per person, to Incarcerate them.( Homeless/Poor have no $$$$$ to Pay Fines/Fight Charges ! )

"We'll get called to go down and take care of a problem or stop a fight and they'll ask us not to charge anyone," said the officer. "They expect an emergency response officer to sit around and babysit someone and be their bodyguards rather than lay charges."

- Social Workers in Shelters/Drop In Centers don't want police to press charges because they know the person charged, will be back..

All People deserve the dignity of Food/Shelter/Security..(Especially in countries known as 1st World..)
Even Zombie Slave Drones.

Basic Food/Shelter ..Should be a given right .

Gotta Live ....Survive....Somehow..

Peace.
Last edited by GreenFish66; Jun 17th, 2011 at 08:08 AM..
 
taxslave
+3 / -1
#2  Top Rated Post
It costs a lot more than $12g a year to feed & house homeless and poor. You must add in the cost of all the highly paid and basically parasitic social workers that have created an industry out of this.
 
cranky
+1
#3
$1200 is $1000 per month, or $250 per week.

That would be enough for me to disappear into my favorite fishing spots until winter.
 
Nuggler
+1
#4
Quote: Originally Posted by crankyView Post

$1200 is $1000 per month, or $250 per week.

That would be enough for me to disappear into my favorite fishing spots until winter.


Way ta go idjit; tell the homeless bout yer fishin spots.................hell, I tell everyone I quit fishin cause there ain't none left, and then you come along and queer it........(just an expression)

Actually a grand a month won't buy you much. You would have to live in the bush and mostly off the land. I uster, then got a GD job............go figure.
 
taxslave
+3
#5
But two or more people sharing a place at a grand a month each soon starts to work out. There is no reason why every welfare recipient must have their own place except in the minds of social workers. There are many working poor and students that share a place without government interference.
 
Bar Sinister
+3
#6
Actually in a country with Canada's climate providing shelter for those who do not have it may save money in the long run. A single case of frostbite leading to hospitalization can cost several thousand dollars a day. That actually makes it cheaper to provide proper shelter. Now I realize that those who believe that the homeless should be denied any social benefits will not like this, but it does make good economic sense.
 
captain morgan
+1 / -1
#7
No one in Canada is 'denied' social benefits.
 
petros
+2
#8
Quote: Originally Posted by captain morganView Post

No one in Canada is 'denied' social benefits.

Homelessness is temporary. Living on the streets is by choice.
 
lone wolf
#9
Quote: Originally Posted by crankyView Post

$1200 is $1000 per month, or $250 per week.

That would be enough for me to disappear into my favorite fishing spots until winter.

Apparently, you've never had to live on it.
 
captain morgan
#10
Quote: Originally Posted by lone wolfView Post

Apparently, you've never had to live on it.

Then I guess that it's in their best interests to change that situation.
 
taxslave
#11
Quote: Originally Posted by lone wolfView Post

Apparently, you've never had to live on it.

Not much less than EI pays but one is expected to support their family on that, including keeping up the mortgage payments.

Without a mortgage or a vehicle we could survive on a grand a month. WHich is not the same as living.
 
lone wolf
#12
Quote: Originally Posted by captain morganView Post

Then I guess that it's in their best interests to change that situation.

Come up with some ideas? Improve upon disabled? As much as some folk might like to believe otherwise, homelessness isn't always the result of being out of a job. Hell, I know of a couple of people with full-time jobs and no home.
 
captain morgan
#13
Quote: Originally Posted by lone wolfView Post

Come up with some ideas?

Sure.. Let's define the problem first... Is the homelessness the result of lack of money? Poor and/or unmarketable skills? Addiction issues? Economic conditions? A combination of the aforementioned?


Quote: Originally Posted by lone wolfView Post

As much as some folk might like to believe otherwise, homelessness isn't always the result of being out of a job. Hell, I know of a couple of people with full-time jobs and no home.

Their 'ex' had a better divorce lawyer
 
lone wolf
+1
#14
Quote: Originally Posted by captain morganView Post

Sure.. Let's define the problem first... Is the homelessness the result of lack of money? Poor and/or unmarketable skills? Addiction issues? Economic conditions? A combination of the aforementioned?

Their 'ex' had a better divorce lawyer

Could be a lack of affordable housing, bad economy, good-paying job gone offshore.

Could be the people who look down their noses at them - who never seem to realize they're just a paycheque or two away from it.

Like you seem to know - many causes....

Better divorce lawyer? How about a job in Fort Mac and living in the car?
 
captain morgan
#15
Quote: Originally Posted by lone wolfView Post

Could be a lack of affordable housing, bad economy, good-paying job gone offshore.

These are factors that everyone must face and while everyone's individual experience and circumstance is different, the common denominator is that we all must accept responsibility for ourselves at some point.

Quote: Originally Posted by lone wolfView Post

Could be the people who look down their noses at them - who never seem to realize they're just a paycheque or two away from it.

This happens in every segment of society and affects every possible demographic. Certainly this is not a cause of homelessness.

Quote: Originally Posted by lone wolfView Post

Like you seem to know - many causes....

Absolutely and my position is that in order to tackle the problem, one must identify the root causes such that they can be remedied.

Quote: Originally Posted by lone wolfView Post

Better divorce lawyer? How about a job in Fort Mac and living in the car?

Fair enough, but it's no big secret that housing in Ft Mac is near, next impossible to secure.. If this individual willfully made the choice to move there and take a chance that they'd have no place to hang their hat, that's their decision... In no way do I lump those individuals into the same group that are affected by economic, mental health or addiction issues.
 
lone wolf
#16
What choice is involved with economic conditions or mental health?
 
captain morgan
#17
Quote: Originally Posted by lone wolfView Post

What choice is involved with economic conditions or mental health?

I am simply saying that comparing an individual that went to Ft Mac and has to live out of their vehicle is drastically different from someone with mental health issues.
 
Bar Sinister
+1
#18
Quote: Originally Posted by captain morganView Post

No one in Canada is 'denied' social benefits.

You really have to learn to read instead of only seeing what you want to see. Read my post again; it says nothing about anyone in Canada being denied social benefits.

Quote: Originally Posted by lone wolfView Post

Come up with some ideas? Improve upon disabled? As much as some folk might like to believe otherwise, homelessness isn't always the result of being out of a job. Hell, I know of a couple of people with full-time jobs and no home.

You really are asking the wrong guy when it comes to new ideas. CM thinks the Inquisition and witch burnings are new ideas. When it comes to knee jerk conservatism he has a permanent nervous tic.
 
petros
#19
Quote: Originally Posted by lone wolf
Quote:

Come up with some ideas? Improve upon disabled? As much as some folk might
like to believe otherwise, homelessness isn't always the result of being out of
a job. Hell, I know of a couple of people with full-time jobs and no home

Why don't they have a home? Spend too much time looking for places to rent at the pub? Bag of weed shorting them on damage deposit? Too good to live in a bachelor pad until they can find something bigger? Too good to walk or car pool to work? Apparently they haven't made enough sacrifices to find a home.
 
DurkaDurka
#20
Quote: Originally Posted by captain morganView Post

Sure.. Let's define the problem first... Is the homelessness the result of lack of money? Poor and/or unmarketable skills? Addiction issues? Economic conditions? A combination of the aforementioned?

I have spoken to some of the younger and seemingly able-bodied homeless people who live on the sidewalks of Toronto and a few of them choose this as a lifestyle, moving back and forth between Vancouver, Toronto & Montreal, as weather permits. Some people like the the transient, nomad life I guess.
 
captain morgan
#21
Quote: Originally Posted by Bar SinisterView Post

You really have to learn to read instead of only seeing what you want to see. Read my post again; it says nothing about anyone in Canada being denied social benefits.


The post where you make the implication?

Quote: Originally Posted by Bar SinisterView Post

Now I realize that those who believe that the homeless should be denied any social benefits will not like this, but it does make good economic sense.




Quote: Originally Posted by Bar SinisterView Post

You really are asking the wrong guy when it comes to new ideas.

No sh*t
 
mentalfloss
#22
being != should be
 
captain morgan
#23
Quote: Originally Posted by DurkaDurkaView Post

I have spoken to some of the younger and seemingly able-bodied homeless people who live on the sidewalks of Toronto and a few of them choose this as a lifestyle, moving back and forth between Vancouver, Toronto & Montreal, as weather permits. Some people like the the transient, nomad life I guess.

No doubt there are lots of different reasons/causes for homelessness.

In my view, if this is an issue that is going to be addressed properly, the cause(s) have to be dealt with in order to generate any kind of effective solution.
 
Unforgiven
#24
There is a couple who get welfare in three different provinces and travel between them to keep up the paper work and keep the scam going.

Let's not use that example as the usual case. Some people come from long term poverty, parent was poor and they were raised on welfare. Some move on and take school or training and find gainful employment. Others for what ever reason do not. I agree that some people need individual attention to get them off welfare rolls and into work and self supporting positions.

You can't tell someone who is quadriplegic that they need to take responsibility for themselves. Yet if someone who isn't visibly disabled is expected to? These are the people who fall through the cracks when these clean up the poor and the homeless crusades come around.
 
captain morgan
#25
Those with real issues that prevent them from being able to fully function in the community absolutely need those services. By in large, the social safety net is designed for these folks and also exists for those that need a hand-up until they get back on their feet.

Unfortunately, the aforementioned group is being affected in a negative way by the very large population of those that do not have the same critical issues that prevent their participation in the community and the economy.

I can't begin to imagine the extra benefit that could be applied to those with physical or mental/psychological issues if the system didn't have to support those unnecessary cases.
 
lone wolf
#26
Quote: Originally Posted by petrosView Post

Quote: Originally Posted by lone wolf

Why don't they have a home? Spend too much time looking for places to rent at the pub? Bag of weed shorting them on damage deposit? Too good to live in a bachelor pad until they can find something bigger? Too good to walk or car pool to work? Apparently they haven't made enough sacrifices to find a home.

McDonlad's wages do not a rent make
 
Bar Sinister
+1
#27
Quote: Originally Posted by captain morganView Post

The post where you make the implication?


No sh*t

There are remedial reading course available, CM. I suggest you take one. It would greatly help with your levels of reading comprehension. Once again you are trying to make a point by reading in your interpretation of what is written rather than what is actually there. I note that for the most part no one else has the slightest problem understanding my posts so I can only assume that the problem lies with you. However, just to make you happy I will repost the comment in question - read it again if you can find any place in it where I stated that anyone in Canada is denied benefits I will apologize.

Now I realize that those who believe that the homeless should be denied any social benefits will not like this, but it does make good economic sense.

If you still don't understand it I will explain it phrase by phrase.
 
cranky
#28
A bit off topic, but what is the policy for social services? will they issue cheques to a homeless person, or does the homeless person need an address like a local shelter? When they use the address from the local shelter, does the shelter dip into the homeless's support cheque or is he allowed to keep it all? What jhappens if you have a guy that likes to move down to the edge of a river every summer, and he's happy to not use the homeless shelter, does he lose his money?
 
captain morgan
#29
Quote: Originally Posted by Bar SinisterView Post

There are remedial reading course available, CM. I suggest you take one. It would greatly help with your levels of reading comprehension. Once again you are trying to make a point by reading in your interpretation of what is written rather than what is actually there. I note that for the most part no one else has the slightest problem understanding my posts so I can only assume that the problem lies with you. However, just to make you happy I will repost the comment in question - read it again if you can find any place in it where I stated that anyone in Canada is denied benefits I will apologize.

Now I realize that those who believe that the homeless should be denied any social benefits will not like this, but it does make good economic sense.

If you still don't understand it I will explain it phrase by phrase.

Well Bar, when folks like you traffik in innuendo and speculation, all that is left for the reader is to apply their individual interpretation.

That said, thanks for reposting, but the assessment still stands. And for the record and to repeat my statement, no one in Canada is denied access to the social benefits so once again, your speculative statement is moot.
 
GreenFish66
#30
I've been homeless....Lived in my car...Went on back pack tours..My choice..(Many don't have the choice..)

I'd like to see Fat Cats do that ...

Survival of the Fittest would erase half the population ...

I think it's time People on assistance and the Working poor , work together to try and secure a little more of that money from those, who have more money, than they could ever spend in 15 lifetimes...

Instead of fighting each other for nickles and dimes..

There are a lot of misconceptions about the poor/homeless...

Many try to work but are unable due to Metal illness/ Handicaps/Addictions/ Criminal Backgrounds...

Assistance does not Assist...$300 a month ...for a middle age man..

$12,000 yr ....$700* 12 = $8400 yr for rent..Leaves $3600 yr or $300 month for food. ...

I lived off $3500 .Just to see if I could... ( to examine the system ...It is Broken and does not care...)

I know the System ....I've lived it all ...From Top to Bottom and back again ...

Green/Clean Tech ..
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Quote: Originally Posted by captain morganView Post

No one in Canada is 'denied' social benefits.


Many are continuously Denied over and over again ..1 wrong move ..they try to make you pay it back ..Even though, they know, you have no $$$$...

Government Assistance Workers are Heartless...False Faces of a Broken Bureaucrazy
Last edited by GreenFish66; Jun 21st, 2011 at 08:36 PM..
 

Similar Threads

40
Homelessness 'chronic' in Canada: study
by CBC News | Jun 29th, 2007
5
6
Securing Windows XP
by moghrabi | Jun 30th, 2004
no new posts