Mississauga Catholic school bans rainbow flag, AIDS awareness

Andem

dev
Mar 24, 2002
Larnaka
Ontario school bans anything gay
When it comes to (man-made) rainbows, students are told to stick it where the sun don't shine.

An Ontario Catholic high school is so adamant about pushing gay issues under the rug that it's banned rainbows. According to Xtra!, a Canadian gay and lesbian news site, the multicolored motif is off-limits because of its association with LGBT rights and Pride.

“There's so many other things that a rainbow could be. It's ridiculous,” says Leanne Iskander, the 16-year-old founder of St. Joseph Catholic Secondary School's unofficial gay-straight alliance group. (Official LGBT groups are prohibited at the school.)

Historically, censored groups have relied on creative and covert techniques to secure their right to free speech. These Catholic high-schoolers are no exception. When the school said they could hold an anti-homophobia event on June 3—but prohibited the use of rainbow banners and posters—the members combated the multi-hued embargo by turning up the heat. Literally. They baked cupcakes to sell at their information booth, using rainbow-colored batter.

The students are also barred from distributing literature about gender identity, AIDS awareness and safe sex.

Full Copy

petros

The Central Scrutinizer
Nov 21, 2008
Low Earth Orbit
They baked cupcakes to sell at their information booth, using rainbow-colored
batter.
Rebels! Give them a year or two and they'll be holding up STOP HARPER signs in Parliament.

Cliffy

Standing Member
Nov 19, 2008
Nakusp, BC
And people say the Muzzies are living in the past. The Church is headed for oblivion if they don't get with the 21st cetury.

Cliffy

Standing Member
Nov 19, 2008
Nakusp, BC
Seems to have worked pretty well for the Muslim community so far... Maybe the Church ought to take a page from their playbook and get their followers up to a billion or so.
Seems to me there are a billion Catholics. I think the Muslims have been using a page from the catholic book but a much older version.

karrie

OogedyBoogedy
Jan 6, 2007
bliss
Wow. I'm impressed. Yeah, okay, it's not ideal, but, has everyone missed the fact that the school has a gay-straight alliance group (even if unofficial), and is letting them run anti-homophobia events? That they're tempering it a bit, but they're allowing it in.

Like it or not, the times they are a changing. Bit by bit.

captain morgan

Hall of Fame Member
Mar 28, 2009
A Mouse Once Bit My Sister
Seems to me there are a billion Catholics. I think the Muslims have been using a page from the catholic book but a much older version.

My numbers must be off.

like many cults the catholics tend to deny reality.

In our world of unlimited freedoms and tolerance, how is it that it is religious groups are exempt from this benefit afforded to everyone else?

petros

The Central Scrutinizer
Nov 21, 2008
Low Earth Orbit
If a flag, seal, shield or coporate logo can strike fear, hate and loathing into a person it has become an idol. What did the Starman in the sky say about idol worship?

In our world of unlimited freedoms and tolerance, how is it that it is religious groups are exempt from this benefit afforded to everyone else?
You have to be 18 to qualify for freedom. 19 to drink freely.

petros

The Central Scrutinizer
Nov 21, 2008
Low Earth Orbit
Only registered humans have Charter rights as a Person otherwise you have to rely on human rights. Animals and plants don't have rights but are protected under the Criminal Code.

YukonJack

Time Out
Dec 26, 2008
Winnipeg
Of course, a school in Mississauga, teaching Islam would fly this flag or at lest would have no objection to fly this flag:

Israeli Flag

It is known world-wide that Islam is the religion of peace. Right????

karrie

OogedyBoogedy
Jan 6, 2007
bliss
Of course, a school in Mississauga, teaching Islam would fly this flag or at lest would have no objection to fly this flag:

Israeli Flag

It is known world-wide that Islam is the religion of peace. Right????

A flawed comparison. Israelis are generally not enrolled at Islamic schools. However, gays are enrolled in Catholic schools. Usually not by their own choice (note I'm not saying 'against their will', just that most children don't choose their school). You can't attend a highschool, Catholic or not, and not see teenagers coming to terms with their identity.