Self-confessed "ugly" couple who met through dating agency for the ugly have split

Blackleaf

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 9, 2004
Self-confessed "ugly" couple who met through dating agency for the ugly have split

A self-confessed ugly couple who met through an online dating agency for the "aesthetically challenged" have spilt up.

Tom Clifford, 37, and Janine Walker, 32, who shared a mutual love of junk food and TV dinners, parted company last month following a whirlwind online romance.

The couple met last year at theuglybugball.com and were originally planning a winter wedding near their homes in Stow-on-the-Wold, Gloucestershire.

Friends believe Mr Clifford - a carpet fitter who has a 'face that makes children cry' - may have got cold feet.

A very ugly break-up! Man with 'face that makes children cry' splits from woman he met on website for the aesthetically challenged

By Daily Mail Reporter
2nd June 2011
Daily Mail

The self-confessed 'ugly' couple who got engaged through Britain's first dating agency for the 'aesthetically challenged' have split up.

Tom Clifford and Janine Walker, who shared a mutual love of junk food and TV dinners, parted company last month following a whirlwind online romance.

The couple hit the headlines last October after meeting on The Ugly Bug Ball – THE ORIGINAL UGLY DATING SITE.

They became engaged after only four dates and less than a month after joining the site.

Ugly ducklings: Tom Clifford and Janine Walker were planning to marry in December after meeting on Britain's first dating agency for ugly people but had postponed the wedding till this summer

Mr Clifford, 37, and Miss Walker, 32, were originally planning a winter wedding near their respective homes in Stow-on-the-Wold, Gloucestershire, but postponed the date and have now separated.

Friends believe Mr Clifford - a carpet fitter who has a 'face that makes children cry' - may have got cold feet.

Jessie Bridge, 31, who has known Miss Walker since childhood, said: 'All I'll say is that Janine and Tom have very definitely broken up.

'It wouldn't be right for me to divulge information about the split, but I will say that Tom has been acting edgy about wedding plans for some time.

'Objectively-speaking, it may well be that the thought of marriage pushed him over the edge.'

Mr Clifford, who has been single since 1998, spotted Miss Walker on the site in August 2010.

His first email to her read: 'Dear Janine, Just seen your beautiful face on The Ugly Bug Ball and would love to meet up. You live near me, so this shouldn't be a problem.

Match-making: The website where the couple met

'I've got a face that makes children cry but, as they say, beauty is in the eye of the beholder - and I think you'll love me too.'

Miss Walker, a shop assistant who lives with her parents, agreed.

She said at the time: 'The rest, as they say, is history. I appreciate that Tom isn't Brad Pitt, but then I'm no Angelina Jolie either.

'Beauty is in the eye of the beholder and to me Tom's the perfect, handsome prince.

'I'm just so pleased to have been able to meet him, and I'm head-over-heels in love.'

The pair initially planned to marry in January, but postponed the ceremony until this summer.

Childhood friend Miss Bridge said: 'Let's face it. Tom got cold feet and put it off for as long as he could. Now he's put it off completely.'

Neither Mr Clifford nor Miss Walker were yesterday available for comment.

But speaking last year, Mr Clifford said: 'I've been a joke to women for years because of the way I look. I always thought that I was too ugly to meet Mrs Right but my life changed when I met Janine.

'She's beautiful and I love her in every possible way. I still can't believe this is happening.'

A spokesman for The Ugly Bug Ball – THE ORIGINAL UGLY DATING SITE said: 'Life is about living, and if this couple want to do so alone, then that's up to them. We wish them the very best of luck.'

Ugly people dating agency's first engaged couple split up | Mail Online

DurkaDurka

Internet Lawyer
Mar 15, 2006
Toronto
Re: Self-confessed "ugly" couple who met through dating agency for the ugly have spli

Yikes, what the hell is wrong with her hair??

petros

The Central Scrutinizer
Nov 21, 2008
Low Earth Orbit
Re: Self-confessed "ugly" couple who met through dating agency for the ugly have spli

Which one is the her?

petros

The Central Scrutinizer
Nov 21, 2008
Low Earth Orbit

Well that helps.

Unforgiven

Force majeure
May 28, 2007

Well all I can say is it's a good thing they didn't get married because divorce can get ugly too.

TenPenny

Hall of Fame Member
Jun 9, 2004
Location, Location

If he lost some weight, he'd look like any average guy.

She needs to learn how to look after her hair, and lose some weight, and then she'd just be average.

Neither one of them fits what I'd consider seriously ugly. They're just average.

Unforgiven

Force majeure
May 28, 2007

If he lost some weight, he'd look like any average guy.

She needs to learn how to look after her hair, and lose some weight, and then she'd just be average.

Neither one of them fits what I'd consider seriously ugly. They're just average.

You need to move out of Hamilton man. lol

YukonJack

Time Out
Dec 26, 2008
Winnipeg

Some of the posts here are uglier than the couple in the picture.