Chinese boy sells kidney for an iPad 2

Andem

dev
Mar 24, 2002
Larnaka

Chinese boy sells kidney for an iPad

A teenager in China has sold one of his kidneys in order to buy an iPad 2, Chinese media report.

The 17-year-old, identified only as Little Zheng, told a local TV station he had arranged the sale of the kidney over the internet.

The story only came to light after the teenager's mother became suspicious.

This is what an iPad 2 looks like.

The case highlights China's black market in organ trafficking. A scarcity of organ donors has led to a flourishing trade.
Deep red scar

It all started when the high school student saw an online advert offering money to organ donors.

Illegal agents organised a trip to the hospital and paid him $3,392 (£2,077) after the operation.

With the cash the student bought an iPad 2, as well as a laptop.

When his mother noticed the computers and the deep red scar on his body, which was caused by the surgery, Little Zheng confessed.

In 2007, Chinese authorities banned organ trafficking and have introduced a voluntary donor scheme to try to combat the trade.

shadowshiv

Dark Overlord
May 29, 2007
No surprise that this isn't one of the topics found in china's huge thread, as nothing bad ever happens in China, right?

mentalfloss

Prickly Curmudgeon Smiter
Jun 28, 2010
How or why did this turn into an attack on China all of a sudden?

Corduroy

Senate Member
Feb 9, 2011
Vancouver, BC
That iPad is going to be obsolete in less than 3 years. What's this kid going to do when the iPad3 comes out? Sell the other kidney?

YukonJack

Time Out
Dec 26, 2008
Winnipeg
If a Chinese kidney is as good and reliable as anything Chinese a poor sucker can buy at Walmart, I would go for an American-made Ipod, as well.

Regardless of the price.

karrie

OogedyBoogedy
Jan 6, 2007
bliss
How dare I say something like that????

Ban me again!!!!

lol.... if you need to act like a child about it, go ahead.

But yeah, I'm asking, because I'd have assumed much if not all of the engineering was done in AsiaPac somewhere. But, apparently you don't really know?

SLM

The Velvet Hammer
Mar 5, 2011
London, Ontario
Yikes! And I thought sleeping on the sidewalk waiting for the Apple store to open was extreme.

Maybe Canadian Blood Services should get in on this. You know, donate blood to secure your purchase of the newest release. Because, apparently, some people really will do anything to get an iPad.

;)