Walkin' the Walk.

Unforgiven

Force majeure
May 28, 2007
Good idea, out of sight out of mind.

The chocolate-glazed doughnuts and the apple fritters are on their way out of 10 Nova Scotia hospitals.

Capital Health, the province’s largest health authority, says it has become the first in Canada to require that the Tim Hortons franchises in its hospitals sell only food that meets healthy-food guidelines.

Starting in October, Capital Health said in a press release issued Friday, baked goods such as doughnuts and those muffins that don’t meet guidelines will no longer be on the franchises’ menus.

The move is the latest by Canadian hospitals to improve their food offerings.

Earlier this spring, the Burger King restaurant inside Toronto’s Hospital for Sick Children, Canada’s largest pediatric hospital, closed after the administration chose not to renew its lease.

karrie

OogedyBoogedy
Jan 6, 2007
bliss
That's taking it too far, imo. Requiring that they offer healthy choices alongside the unhealthy ones makes sense, but, forbidding donuts? Are they also banning hot chocolate? Whipped toppings? Iced caps? Muffins that are too high in fat? Not letting you put cream cheese on your bagel? Are they taking ice cream and popsicles away from the sick kids in the hospital?

DaSleeper

Trolling Hypocrites
May 27, 2007
Northern Ontario,
That's taking it too far, imo. Requiring that they offer healthy choices alongside the unhealthy ones makes sense, but, forbidding donuts? Are they also banning hot chocolate? Whipped toppings? Iced caps? Muffins that are too high in fat? Not letting you put cream cheese on your bagel? Are they taking ice cream and popsicles away from the sick kids in the hospital?

What else can we expect from the nanny state we have helped create???

Colpy

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 5, 2005
Saint John, N.B.
Good idea, out of sight out of mind.

The chocolate-glazed doughnuts and the apple fritters are on their way out of 10 Nova Scotia hospitals.

Capital Health, the province’s largest health authority, says it has become the first in Canada to require that the Tim Hortons franchises in its hospitals sell only food that meets healthy-food guidelines.

Starting in October, Capital Health said in a press release issued Friday, baked goods such as doughnuts and those muffins that don’t meet guidelines will no longer be on the franchises’ menus.

The move is the latest by Canadian hospitals to improve their food offerings.

Earlier this spring, the Burger King restaurant inside Toronto’s Hospital for Sick Children, Canada’s largest pediatric hospital, closed after the administration chose not to renew its lease.

Man, I failed to realize how correct I was when I called you a control freak, a jack-booted storm trooper for the nanny-state, incapable of comprehending the concept of liberty in its simplest form.......

Now I understand why you think a single opinion on the SCOC is a majority decision, and why you can't understand what is written in plain English........

CDNBear

Custom Troll
Sep 24, 2006
Ontario
We can expect to be able to stand up and say when enough is enough.
That's like saying you have the right to bang your head against the wall, when you're talking to people like this...

An excellent rendition of the usual suspects.

Mowich

Hall of Fame Member
Dec 25, 2005
Eagle Creek
I firmly believe in freedom of choice, however - the article is talking about hospitals, places where people go to get healthy again. I don't think that it is such a bad thing if they choose not to have unhealthy choices on their restaurant's menu. In another topic on the forum there is an ongoing discussion about how many people simply do not chose to make healthy eating decisions and thereby cause countless problems and higher costs for medical care. Until the general public demonstrates that they are ready to start eating more responsibly and taking better care of themselves, maybe limiting their access to such foods is not such a bad thing at all - especially in a setting where health is at the top of the menu, so to speak. IMHO.

Besides, with the plethora of Timmies and Star Bucks etc in most cities these days, I doubt it would be hard for any suffering a severe donut attack to find one in an emergency.