Disney tries to trademark 'Seal Team 6'

Praxius

Mass'Debater
Dec 18, 2007
Halifax, NS & Melbourne, VIC
Disney tries to trademark 'Seal Team 6' - World - CBC News

The Walt Disney Co. has applied for a trademark on the name "Seal Team 6," the name of the unit of specially trained Navy SEALs that killed Osama bin Laden in a raid in Pakistan earlier this month.

Three applications filed May 3 — the day after the raid — with the U.S. Patent and Trademark office by Disney Enterprises Inc. state an intention to use the mark for a range of products, including entertainment and education services, clothing, toys, games and Christmas stockings.

Companies have tried to trademark combat-related terms before. A day after U.S. allied forces entered Iraq in 2003, Sony Corp. applied to trademark the war's catchphrase, "shock and awe," for use as the title of a video game. The application was later abandoned.

I knew Disney Co. was sick in the head.

Mowich

Hall of Fame Member
Dec 25, 2005
Eagle Creek
Actually, it is a fait accompli.

Disney trademarks "SEAL Team Six"

CHARLESTON, S.C. (WCIV) - "Disney has trademarked the name of the elite Navy commando team credited with killing Osama bin Laden.

Time reports the media and entertainment giant trademarked "SEAL Team Six" just two days after the bin Laden mission.

The move means Disney holds exclusive rights to the words "SEAL Team Six" on toys, games, clothing and entertainment."

WCIV-TV | ABC News 4 - Disney trademarks "SEAL Team Six"

I've known that since I watched Bambi as a kid.

And you know, Bear........I bought into the whole thing. I was 12 when we got our first TV - black and white back then. My parents had strict rules about watching TV. We had set times and only a few shows that we could watch without our folks being with us and some we could not watch at all. The Walt Disney Show, The Ed Sullivan Show and Science Fiction Theater were right at the top of my sister's and my list of shows to watch. Disney was so ahead of his time when it came to cartoons - he took viewing them to an entirely new and much more appealing level with the ability to so closely mimic life and the detail of the images. After watching Bugs Bunny or some of the other cartoons back then, Disney was like watching a modern movie after seeing nothing but silent movies. Disney breathed life into his cartoon characters.

I think I was in my twenties when all the news started coming out about how the portrayals of real animals by Disney had been set-up. I can remember actually feeling betrayed, if you can believe it. Disney had provided years of enjoyment for my sisters and my parents who took us to the latest film or cartoon and watched along with us at home.

Disney wasn't the only one to manipulate wild animals for their own personal gain - there were other so-called wild animal experts, Marlin Perkins comes to mind, who were similarly pulling the wool over our eyes.

So, though I came to regard Disney with a jaundiced eye, I still have fond memories of watching the show with my family every Sunday night.

As to the propriety of this trademark, I would be willing to bet that Disney was not the only corporation ready to trademark ST6. I would have been more surprised to hear that no one wanted the trademark. And really, how is this any different than the company that got the trademark on the term ' GI ' as in GI Joe - that term came out of the US army not some advertisers head.

Bar Sinister

Executive Branch Member
Jan 17, 2010
Edmonton
Wonder if it might be a bit more flash-in-the-pan than New Kids on the Block....

That wouldn't be "flash-in-the-Peter Pan" would it? Never underestimate the evil that Disneycorp is capable of. After all it was Disney that got Sonny Bono to push through an extension of the copyright period when Mickey Mouse's copyright was about to run out.