Why can my home town not make the national news in a good way...

wulfie68

Council Member
Mar 29, 2009
Calgary, AB
I remember seeing it in national stories because of the notoriety associated with being the impaired driving capital of the nation, many moons ago. Then in 1988 was a nasty flood that garnered national attention. Now its wildfires buring the place down in what is being called one of the worst natural disasters in Alberta history.

Slave Lake evacuees wait for news after out-of-control fire - CTV News

Its kinda wierd. I left Slave Lake about 15 years ago (except for the odd visit to see my parents) and I wouldn't want to live there again, but there are still people and places there have a special meaning to me. At this point, I can just hope that Mom and Dad's house is OK (as well as their silly cat, who bolted when they tried to catch him for the evac) and that the news isn't as bad as whats being reported... but the pictures kill some of that hope. At least no one has been killed or injured...

jjaycee98

Electoral Member
Jan 27, 2006
British Columbia
I remember seeing it in national stories because of the notoriety associated with being the impaired driving capital of the nation, many moons ago. Then in 1988 was a nasty flood that garnered national attention. Now its wildfires buring the place down in what is being called one of the worst natural disasters in Alberta history.

Its kinda wierd. I left Slave Lake about 15 years ago (except for the odd visit to see my parents) and I wouldn't want to live there again, but there are still people and places there have a special meaning to me. At this point, I can just hope that Mom and Dad's house is OK (as well as their silly cat, who bolted when they tried to catch him for the evac) and that the news isn't as bad as whats being reported... but the pictures kill some of that hope. At least no one has been killed or injured...

The NEWS is every bit as bad as reported! Just what is the gage you go by? 7,000 people evacuated. Most of the town distroyed and it is not bad enough for you?

Mowich

Hall of Fame Member
Dec 25, 2005
Eagle Creek

I was reading about the fires in the G&M today, wulfie. I am so sorry to hear that your Mom and Dad may be affected - I pray that their home was spared. The mayor was stating that close to half the town was burned - how utterly heart-breaking for all the folks who live there. The only good news so far is that no lives were lost.

P.S. 100 Mile House only seems to make the news when something really bad happens too. Years ago we had a new reporter in town who actually had an article published that stated every second house in the town was a grow-op - that hit the MSM - fast! Then there was the Gustasfon(sp?) Lake stand-off and a couple of horrid murders by teens. So you are not alone in thinking your old stomping grounds only hit the news when there is something awful to report.

Last edited:

SLM

The Velvet Hammer
Mar 5, 2011
London, Ontario

I hope your Mom and Dad's house is ok too. And their cat.

It is a good thing there have been no injuries or fatalities too.

But, wow, scary how fast it all came down.

damngrumpy

Executive Branch Member
Mar 16, 2005
kelowna bc
There is nothing like a massive fire to bring the media out and to raise the fear level of
the residents. I am sorry to hear the devastation took such an extreme toll on the town.
Yes there are things and memories that get destroyed and even if they are rebuild they
are never the same. In 2003 Kelowna experienced a major fire that claimed over 200
homes and a lot of beautiful scenery. In fact the Myra Canyon section of the old Kettle
Valley Rail Line suffered major damage. There is 18 trestles and two tunnels in about
7 miles around the rim of a canyon. Most of the old rail bridges burned and as it is
part of the Trans Canada Trail, they were rebuilt. It cost millions, they did a great job but
its not the same as it was when we were all much younger.
Something is lost when this happens. The other thing is many of the folks have pictures.
and I imagine artifacts. As long as some things remain they can be shared in a museum
complex. I hope your folks are well and safe. When there was a destructive event my
father used to say, Things can be rebuilt, but you can't replace people.

wulfie68

Council Member
Mar 29, 2009
Calgary, AB
The NEWS is every bit as bad as reported! Just what is the gage you go by? 7,000 people evacuated. Most of the town distroyed and it is not bad enough for you?

Well, the media likes to sensationalize things at times and I was hoping that some of that might have happened. An evacuation on its own doesn't mean that something WILL happen, just that there is a good chance it might. However my hopes have dwindled with every new bit of the footage and stills I am seeing on the various news sites: there is just too much that I see and recognize in different areas around the town... and it is heartbreaking. Like Damngrumpy said, buildings and houses can be rebuilt, and I know people will, but it takes time and there are always some things lost that can't be replaced.

bill barilko

Senate Member
Mar 4, 2009
Vancouver-by-the-Sea
Not just the town but people in all the small villages around Slave Lake will be adversely affected-a town that size in the bush is a service centre for a large area-very sad news.