Christmas Carols

MissAnnika
I'm all for Christmas; I put my decorations up the day before Thanksgiving. I started watching all the Christmas specials, needless to say, I love Christmas! My family was always big on Christmas and my mother would always listen to Christmas songs all month. Nothing like warm memories! Here's one of my favorites.

httpwwwyoutubecomwatchvCOGk9K9XsBk

ironsides
Where's the line to see Jesus?

YouTube - beckykelleySTL's Channel (external - login to view)

YukonJack
I often wondered why "Jingle Bells" and "Frosty the Snowman" (and probably many others) are considered "Christmas Songs"?

Couldn't one ride a one horse open sleigh until the March thaw? Or keep Frosty in the yard until then?

Don't get me wrong, listening to these ditties from mid-November on is just about all I can take.

Merry Christmas to all!

JLM
Quote: Originally Posted by YukonJackView Post

I often wondered why "Jingle Bells" and "Frosty the Snowman" (and probably many others) are considered "Christmas Songs"?

Couldn't one ride a one horse open sleigh until the March thaw? Or keep Frosty in the yard until then?

Don't get me wrong, listening to these ditties from mid-November on is just about all I can take.

Merry Christmas to all!

Guess it all depends on whether you think Xmas should be inclusive or exclusive! I'll opt for inclusive, although I do have to admit I am getting a little tired of "Silent Night"- we seem to hear it ad infinitim every Xmas.

s_lone
I got a kick out of this video when I was a kid.

YouTube - Claymations Christmas Carol of the bells claymation special

ironsides
This is my all time favorite.

Been around for awhile but worth watching.

Elvis, When he was really "The King" - Martina McBride (pretty little thing) was digitally dropped in to this track in 2008...Best close-up of Elvis I've ever seen!!!!

This is Modern-Tech at its finest. Very appropriate.for this coming"Christmas"

http://release.theplatform.com/content.select?pid=5mCzgDf_lCZ3uKBDkKLY2_dqmD4_S0y F&UserName=Unknown (external - login to view)

Risus
Quote: Originally Posted by MowichView Post

So this is Christmas - the Beatles but Oh Holy Night is a very close second.

The song is actually called Happy Christmas (The War is Over) and was recorded by the Plastic Ono Band in 1971, not the Beatles.

MissAnnika
I'm not sure why the title of the song I posted said "Jingle Bells" because the actual song is "Jingle Bell Rock" *shrugs*

ironsides
Christmas Food Court Flash Mob, Hallelujah Chorus

YouTube - Christmas Food Court Flash Mob Hallelujah Chorus - Must See

Icarus27k

YouTube - A Brutal Christmas 611 The little drummer boy

Yeah, I went there.

YouTube - Whats This - Fall Out Boy

Dexter Sinister
+1
Best version I've ever heard of what I think is the best Christmas carol of all time. Wish I could find a video for it, I have it on an ancient VHS tape of a Peter Paul and Mary Christmas concert, but I don't have the equipment to do anything else with it. This song... the yearning, the pain, the grief, the hope it expresses... even this unrepentant old atheist finds this powerful and moving, an eloquent expression of what we would most like to be true. Even I cannot entirely escape my cultural conditioning, and this song can move me to tears. "Forever death's dark shadows put to flight..." Who who's ever seen death wouldn't wish for that? I think of my beloved parents...

YouTube - Peter Paul and Mary - Oh Come Oh Come Emmanuel

And it's ecumenical too. Jews could sing that song with just as much conviction as any Christian.
Last edited by Dexter Sinister; Dec 25th, 2010 at 01:13 AM..

bobnoorduyn
Though I'm not a real Pegger, Winnipeg was my home base for quite a while and I really got to appreciate the arts scene there, (I think the cold keeps people locked up for far too long, but it does encourage creativity). I posted this on another similar thread, it is my favourite Christmas carol, (other that Hark! the Herald Angels Sing). These guys may be considered alternative, but they are still good, they've had some chart toppers too.

YouTube - Crash Test Dummies The First Noel

Goober
Quote: Originally Posted by bobnoorduynView Post

Though I'm not a real Pegger, Winnipeg was my home base for quite a while and I really got to appreciate the arts scene there, (I think the cold keeps people locked up for far too long, but it does encourage creativity). I posted this on another similar thread, it is my favourite Christmas carol, (other that Hark! the Herald Angels Sing). These guys may be considered alternative, but they are still good, they've had some chart toppers too.

YouTube - Crash Test Dummies The First Noel

OK - Get in the Spirit.

In Between Man

Sean Quigley - Little Drummer Boy - YouTube

Nuggler
My favourite is Oh Holy Night when it's not sung by any nasal country queen. Sheesh. sickening.

#2 : www.google.ca/url?sa=t&rct=j&...cJMT5w&cad=rja (external - login to view)

Petey, Paulie, and Marie.

In Between Man
Quote: Originally Posted by NugglerView Post

My favourite is Oh Holy Night when it's not sung by any nasal country queen. Sheesh. sickening.

Perhaps you would like Johnny Reid's rendition of it:

O Holy Night - Johnny Reid - YouTube

Walter
Ave Maria by Franz Bieble is exquisite. I'm not a Mc but this music is very inspiring.

Bar Sinister
I like almost all traditional Christmas carols. I have very little use for lounge lizard renditions of Christmas favourites or most other pop music Christmas songs. My all-time favourite - Adeste Fideles preferably by someone with an operatic voice.

gerryh

Huron Carole By Tom Jacksonwmv - YouTube

and this one because my son is playing.

Calgary Holiday Tubafest 2010 - It Came Upon a Midnight Clear - YouTube

petros
itunes.apple.com/ca/album/go-to-hell/id298292082 (external - login to view)#

itunes.apple.com/ca/album/go-to-hell/id298292082 (external - login to view)#

Preview 7 & 8 in itunes.

spaminator
forums.canadiancontent.net/mo...mas-music.html (external - login to view)

ironsides
Coolside Yuletide

Happy Holidays | Carlson School of Management (external - login to view)

JACKIE EVANCHO AVE MARIA

JACKIE EVANCHO AVE MARIA TOP FOUR AMERICAS GOT TALENTmp4-sep-14-2010 - YouTube