Is Today's music watered down too much?

Chiliagon

Prime Minister
May 16, 2010
Spruce Grove, Alberta
So, I have a question, in your opinion is Today's music too watered down with low level talent and sub par bands and singers?

I really think so.. I think technology and Money has made the Industry so bogged down with non talented artists that some real talent gets missed!

thoughts?

taxslave

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 25, 2008
Vancouver Island
I think it is Canadian content laws that have done it to us. That and now anyone with a few bucks can publish regardless of ability. Yoko Ono is a prime example.

Praxius

Mass'Debater
Dec 18, 2007
Halifax, NS & Melbourne, VIC
It's all been going down hill since the early 2000's.

And no it's not because I'm getting old, as there's many bands and artists I like or still like today whom are still playing or just started playing.

But when it comes to what's on TV and your local radio, yes.... it's all gone to hell, it's all talentless, thoughtless, bling bling my ho wit mah 5-ring and a gat, brritta pow pow, know'what'im'say'n?! Werd.

There's nothing out there that makes you think anymore, or much that one can relate to.... at least not in the main stream of things.

But we all hit those days.... Disco, 80's hair pop.... now this crap..... then comes classic rock/metal to take over.... alternative rock and grunge / industrial comes along..... eventually society will have enough of this crap and once again bring back the angry :lol:

lone wolf

Grossly Underrated
Nov 25, 2006
In the bush near Sudbury
It's only going to get worse as long as we have people winning copyright infringement suits for things like the similarity in a flute line to a childrens' song.

karrie

OogedyBoogedy
Jan 6, 2007
bliss
If you're going to let someone spoon feed you, very often you're not going to like the menu they choose. Music is no different. The menu is chosen with the largest market in mind, and baby, we're not it.

And no it's not because I'm getting old,...

I have to disagree... you were very recently the target market. You had the most disposable income, the most free time, etc. But now you on the fringe of that. Yes there are still some artists you enjoy, but, the market is not tailored to you as well as it was, it is tailored to my kids, their friends, and their babysitters. They're the ones with the time and the money to be consuming the current market, thus, due to your age, even though you're not 'old', you are no longer the target demographic.

TenPenny

Hall of Fame Member
Jun 9, 2004
Location, Location
I must be getting old. Who or what is a Ke$ha? As far as I know that is not on the 4 radio stations that I listen to regular.

Consider yourself lucky.

To summarize, Ke$sha is some mildly-talented 'singer' who performs music with the main theme being 'I'm a party animal girl who like to get drunk and mess around'. It seems to be everpresent around here, but that may have something to do with the horrible choice in radio stations that my kids tend to put on.

AnnaG

Hall of Fame Member
Jul 5, 2009
Pop music is pop music and always has been. It deals with issues that teens and other young people face. You want serious music for adults, try classical, blues, etc. Try easy listening music for relaxing and as background noise.
Once you forget what being at some other particular age in your life you cannot enjoy the music from that age as much. Appreciation goes down.
There are plenty of people around that produce great music, it is just a matter of what you make available to yourself. Radio isn't the best, as Karrie mentioned. Try snooping through the I-tunes store or something.

YukonJack

Time Out
Dec 26, 2008
Winnipeg
Barbra Streisand introduced screaming and screeching.
Diana Ross introduced whining and moaning.

Since then the only decent female singer is Susan Boyle.

Praxius

Mass'Debater
Dec 18, 2007
Halifax, NS & Melbourne, VIC
..... I have to disagree... you were very recently the target market. You had the most disposable income, the most free time, etc. But now you on the fringe of that. Yes there are still some artists you enjoy, but, the market is not tailored to you as well as it was, it is tailored to my kids, their friends, and their babysitters. They're the ones with the time and the money to be consuming the current market, thus, due to your age, even though you're not 'old', you are no longer the target demographic.

Even when I was "The target demographic" the music industry (Music Videos/Radio/Charts) weren't generally geared for me either.... there was a balance between one type of music and another kind (Alternative/Rock/Industrial vs. Hip Hop/Pop/Emo Crap)... in the last few years, this balance has for some reason swayed more towards the Hip Hop/Pop/Emo Crap music more then ever before.

I didn't say these industries don't gear towards trends and what younger kids want/don't want.... it's always been the case since about way back as the Beatles and Elvis...... but even back when Alternative and Industrial music was the main thing (Pearl Jam, Nine Inch Nails, TooL, Korn, etc.) ... it was all still geared to the same age group that it's aiming towards now.

But at that time, the lyrics, the sounds, the videos, concerts, etc..... they all had some effort tossed into them.... new effects and ideas in how to compose a music video were being made.... lyrics related more to the real lives in which people lived and the problems that came with.

Now we have stupid shows like American/Canadian/Australian/UK Idol, dishing out "New" artists and bands left, right and centre whom are not necessarily that great, never get decent record contracts, and usually fade off into obscurity after a couple of months after the shows are done for the season with the exception of maybe three or four who are still putting out records..... whom are still content'less piles of crap.

My comments were more related to how music eras change over time.... in that society had Disco, 80's Hair Pop and the current crap come in after a decade or so of high quality, talented, brain-thinker music...... As though the targeted audience gradually seeks something different from the previous generation, they're tired of the doom and gloom of reality and seek poppy/bubbly shallow music for a period of time one can dance to, rather then think about and reflect.

I mean when I was just hitting my teen aged years, I was into bands/music like Black Sabbath, Iron Butterfly, Led Zep, pretty much all the music my parents listened to when they were in college/university...... then I eventually got into the Alternative Rock scene of the 90's after the fact. It was interesting that I got into an older generation's music scene before I got into my own currently marketed scene.

Most of my friends have dropped off of the music scene and don't try and keep up to date with the new music or bands coming out, because they feel they're no longer "With it" anymore and things changed so much, but for me personally, I don't isolate myself with one musical era.... I isolate myself with what I like. And as mentioned before, there are a decent amount of bands/artists currently out there that are talented and make some impressive music...... but with the current direction the music industry has headed in for the time being.... the majority that's dished out in the Pop Avenues these days are complete crap that wash out the good.

The only real comment I wished to make is that yes, music in general these days is total crap.... but this trend will soon change again. To say that I'm out of the loop now due to my age wouldn't make sense if my predicted pattern becomes true and the next generation of music to take over go backs into the way I think it will.... even though I may not be the "intended age bracket" being targeted, it very well still target me, thus my age would be moot.

selin

Electoral Member
Feb 8, 2010
Turkey
So, I have a question, in your opinion is Today's music too watered down with low level talent and sub par bands and singers?

I really think so.. I think technology and Money has made the Industry so bogged down with non talented artists that some real talent gets missed!

thoughts?

I think it is a universal problem , i agree with you on that money and technology have side-effects. The only chance to make music was to have a good vocal or why did they sing? but now, if you have a lot of money, you can release album easily, also the things societies need are changing as well, that is, being sexy and goodlooking can be enough for some to bear but the refreshing thing is that they cannot be long-lasting

Cliffy

Standing Member
Nov 19, 2008
Nakusp, BC
I think it is a universal problem , i agree with you on that money and technology have side-effects. The only chance to make music was to have a good vocal or why did they sing? but now, if you have a lot of money, you can release album easily, also the things societies need are changing as well, that is, being sexy and goodlooking can be enough for some to bear but the refreshing thing is that they cannot be long-lasting
So, are you planning on becoming a rock star?:lol:

AnnaG

Hall of Fame Member
Jul 5, 2009
I hope you post your first recording on youtube and give us link to view it.
I think Selin sings very well. I'm not sure if she has something on youtube or not, but I heard her sing somewhere. Perhaps in the video of the many musicians on the vid she did post.

yea I liked the day when you had to earn your fame. you actually had to be able to sing and sing good! on key and in tune.

none of this bs.
lol If you don't think people these days earn their fame and fortune, I think you're listening and reading to the wrong stuff. There's a lot more competition around now than before.
Try listening to an online radio's indie music channel sometime. At least once a week I learn of a talent new to me that is impressive. But then, I am not all that choosy about the genres I listen to. I listen to almost everything from Japanese Koto drums to Australian aboriginal didgeridoo music to Nightwish, Gordon Lightfoot, Abba, Evanescence, Dean Martin, Pete Fountain, Collide, Oscar Petersen, Bach, Mozart, Ian Tyson, Waylon Jennings, Richard Wagner, Katie Melua, Ozzie Osbourne, Jesse Cook, Bond, Flamenco, Calypso, Vanessa Mae, Mannheim Steamroller, CCR, Pink Floyd, Kitaro, Nayo, The Corrs, Red Thunder, and dozens more.

Bar Sinister

Executive Branch Member
Jan 17, 2010
Edmonton
Music? Is the junk Justin Bieber puts out still called that? What seems to exist today is a bunch of attractive males and females who can sing and dance, but who have little real talent. Most of their tunes seemed designed to go straight to elevator.

I realize that I am showing my age, but I did manage to enjoy pop music from a time period covering four decades, and that does not include symphonic compositions from the so called "classical" composers. But once rap and hip hop hit the scene I pretty much stopped listening. I assume there must be some decent bands out there somewhere, but I have come across very few of them.

So far as I can see the best music today is that composed for film scores in the traditional symphonic styles.

Barbra Streisand introduced screaming and screeching.
Diana Ross introduced whining and moaning.

Since then the only decent female singer is Susan Boyle.

Try Sarah Brightman. Beautiful, talented, with a fantastic voice. And ten times the output of Susan Boyle.
Sarah Brightman Official Website - Home Page
Sarah Brightman - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

I think it is Canadian content laws that have done it to us. That and now anyone with a few bucks can publish regardless of ability. Yoko Ono is a prime example.

Yoko Ono lives in Colorado. I guess you are going to have to explain to me how that fits in to Canadian content.

Risus

Genius
May 24, 2006
Toronto
It's all been going down hill since the early 2000's.

And no it's not because I'm getting old, as there's many bands and artists I like or still like today whom are still playing or just started playing.

But when it comes to what's on TV and your local radio, yes.... it's all gone to hell, it's all talentless, thoughtless, bling bling my ho wit mah 5-ring and a gat, brritta pow pow, know'what'im'say'n?! Werd.

There's nothing out there that makes you think anymore, or much that one can relate to.... at least not in the main stream of things.

But we all hit those days.... Disco, 80's hair pop.... now this crap..... then comes classic rock/metal to take over.... alternative rock and grunge / industrial comes along..... eventually society will have enough of this crap and once again bring back the angry :lol:

One thing is forever:

"The Blues Is Here To Stay" - Tab Benoit