Robert B. Parker

#juan

Hall of Fame Member
Aug 30, 2005
I was saddened to learn yesterday that one of my favorite authors died in January of this year.
Robert B. Parker, the bestselling, award-wining author of more than 45 books for Penguin Group (USA)'s G. P. Putnam's Sons and Berkley Books imprints, died suddenly on January 18, 2010 at his home in Cambridge, Massachusetts. He was seventy-seven.

I guess the story was in the news but obviously I missed it. Robert B. Parker wrote detective mysteries.

Robert B. Parker - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

YukonJack

Time Out
Dec 26, 2008
Winnipeg
#juan, if you liked Robert B. Parker, you would like C.J. Box, Stepen Cannell, Michael Connelly, Lawrence Block, Stuart Woods or Harlan Coben.

#juan

Hall of Fame Member
Aug 30, 2005
Thanks for the tips. I am forever running out of authors. I've picked a couple from each of the authors you've mentioned
and have ordered them from the library. Should start getting them in about a week......Thanks again

JLM

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 27, 2008
Vernon, B.C.
#juan, if you liked Robert B. Parker, you would like C.J. Box, Stepen Cannell, Michael Connelly, Lawrence Block, Stuart Woods or Harlan Coben.

Yes, Stuart Woods is an excellent author of at least 20 novels all of which I have read. Not a bad one in the bunch.

YukonJack

Time Out
Dec 26, 2008
Winnipeg
#juan, you might also consider Paul Abraham, Lawrence Shames, Donald E. Westlake (regrettably, also deceased) and Edna Buchannan.

Last edited:

JLM

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 27, 2008
Vernon, B.C.
Wow! Many great names above. But for me, when it comes to modern day mystery writers, it's Rex Stout.

Rex Stout modern!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! HE was around when Christ was a cowboy in Chicago. A guy I worked with 47 years ago read him a lot.

Ron in Regina

"Voice of the West" Party
Apr 9, 2008
Regina, Saskatchewan
#juan, I hear you and I get much enjoyment from books. I also have a
couple of suggestions for you.

Though not strictly in the genre of detective novels, one of my favorite
authors would be Clive Cussler. He writes fantastic books that
occasionally are made into absolutely horrible movies.

The lead characters in his books are usually like a cross between
James Bond & Jacques Cousteau solving mysteries that affect
things on a Global level. Good stuff, as Clive Cussler can really
pull you into a story. I've real almost everything he's published.
The Man has also lead a very interesting life. Check this out:

Clive Cussler - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Another author that has impressed me is James Rollins. Much
like the above author, this man can pull you into his story so it's
difficult to put his books down, but James Rollins uses a whole
team of lead characters to accomplish what Clive Cussler
does with a handful. I've read through just about 1/2 the books
by Rollins in the "Sigma Series" & I'm impressed.

James Rollins - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

YukonJack

Time Out
Dec 26, 2008
Winnipeg
If one likes political thrillers, Vince Flynn, David Baldacci and Brad Thor would be good choices.

Also, one can not go wrong with Jeffrey Archer, Frederick Forsythe or Robert Ludlum.

gopher

Hall of Fame Member
Jun 26, 2005
Minnesota: Gopher State
When your kids get old they won't like the music and TV shows their children or grandchildren will be watching. That's just the way it is.

Today, I ask myself, why can't they write books today like Stout did? Why can't they make music like the Beatles or Beach Boys did? Or enthralling TV shows like "Twilight Zone" or "The Untouchables" ?

I know what you're thinking -- gopher, you're just getting old. Well, that's true. I admit it. Today's entertainment standards just doesn't work for me. Well, what can do you but go to youtube or some other nostalgia website. Those sure make my day!