Doctor Who: Daleks to return in next episode, in which one is recruited by Churchill

Blackleaf

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 9, 2004
SPOILER WARNING!!!!

This Saturday's Doctor Who will only be the third episode of the brand new series (which comes to North America this very Saturday 17th April), but already it will be an episode which sees the return of TV's most famous sci-fi baddies - the Daleks.

The Doctor and his female sidekick Amy Pond travel black to a Blitz-torn London during World War II. There they meet the Prime Minister, Winston Churchill, who shows them Britain's new weapon against the Nazis - a Dalek!

The army-coloured Dalek, emblazoned with a Union Jack, is referred to by Churchill as an "ironsight." The Dalek even makes the tea.

The Doctor has to tell Churchill that the Dalek wasn't the invention of a Professor Bracewell but is, in fact, an alien.

And, being a member of the most evil race in the Universe (with a voice that chills the blood), maybe the Dalek does not have good intentions.

And the episode will feature a must-see dogfight - being a Spitfire and a Dalek spaceship.

Last night's episode of Doctor Who was another cracker, which sees Doctor and Amy travel to the 29th Century. After a natural disaster has destroyed the Earth, entire nations have taken off onboard spaceships. The Doctor and Amy find themselves on Starship UK, the entire UK on a spaceship, with counties housed inside skyscrapers.

But when Amy explores the ship she encounters the terrifying and demonic Smilers (creepy mechanical men whose heads have three faces, faces which reveal a different facial expression - happy, angry, or positively evil - when swivelled around) and learns a deadly truth inside the Voting Booth...

Doctor Who to face his old nemesis as the Daleks return... but things are not quite as they seem

By Georgina Littlejohn
11th April 2010
Daily Mail

Doctor Who, Episode 3 (of 13), Victory of the Daleks

The Doctor is summoned to Blitz-torn London by Winston Churchill - and the Daleks are waiting for him!

BBC One
Saturday, 17 April, 18.30

He's battled and defeated the metallic and dangerous extra-terrestrials for almost 50 years.

But if Doctor Who thought he'd seen the last of those pesky Daleks, then he clearly thought wrong - and much too soon.

The mutant beings are set to return to our screens - and our world - next Saturday to face the 11th Time Lord in an episode set in the Second World War.

The nemesis returns: The 11th Doctor, played by Matt Smith, and his companion Amy Pond, played by Karen Gillan, come face to face with his arch-enemy

In a trailer shown at the end of last night's episode - the second in the new series with Matt Smith at the Doctor's new incarnation - the Doctor is summoned to a Blitz-battered London by Prime Minister Winston Churchill, played by Ian McNeice.

But when he leads the Doctor and his new companion Amy Pond, played by newcomer Amy Gillan, he unveils his latest secret weapon that he believes will help him win the war - a Dalek.

An incredulous Doctor looks on as Professor Edwin Bracewell, played by Bill Paterson, introduces the Dalek to him as one of his 'ironsights', to which the Dalek - which has a Union Jack flag underneath his eyestalk, responds: 'I am your soldier.'

Friend or foe? A Dalek offers the Doctor a cup of tea

In still from the episode released by the BBC yesterday, the Dalek appears to be friendly, with one still from the episode appearing to show it offering a cup of tea.

Churchill believes Professer Bracewell has invented the machine and that it will help him win the war.

But an unconvinced Doctor tries desperately to explain to him: 'He didn't invent them, they're aliens.'

Secret weapon: Winston Churchill and the Dalek who he believes will help him win the Second World War

Later, he is seen confiding in Amy, telling her: 'They're up to something, but what is it, what are they after?'

He is then seen face-to-face with his arch-enemy, as he shouts at it: 'I've defeated you time and time again, I saved the whole of reality from you - I am the Doctor. And you are the Daleks.'

The trailer then cuts to the inside of a spaceship where a huge pod opens and that familiar robot voice of the Dalek announces: 'Behold the restoration of the Daleks.'

Battle plan: Professor Bracewell shows the Doctor his plans to take the Dalek into battle and help Britain win the war

The episode, entitled Victory of the Daleks, airs on Saturday April 17 on BBC One at 18.30 and the Daleks reappearance so soon into the new series is sure to get Doctor Who fans very excited.

Show boss Steven Moffatt told the Daily Star: 'The Daleks are being very sly, very crafty, very duplicitous. They’re up to something.

'Every time The Doctor turns away, they look at him like they’re keeping an eye on him.'

The last time the Doctor faced them was in Journey's End, which was aired in July last year with David Tennant still in the role as the Doctor.

What are you up to? The Doctor questions the Daleks seemingly innocent motives

NEW DOCTOR WHO MONSTER

Smilers (First seen in Episode 2, The Beast Below, 10th April 2010)

Home Environment: Starship UK
Appearance: Creepy mechanical men
Start to worry when: The Smilers frown
First Appearance: The Beast Below (10th April 2010)

The Smilers are androids, mounted in booths all across the space faring version of Britain that left Earth in the 29th Century. They let people know what's good and what's bad. The terrified population keep them clean. Their heads can rotate to show three faces: happy; warning or very dangerous indeed.

And if things get very dangerous, the Smilers can leave their booths and move around. They're actually androids, an extension of the 'starship's' security system.

There are also the Winders, half Smiler and half human, who've taken an oath to serve the system. And all together, these unhappy people and automatons are doing a terrible thing, which only the Doctor and Amy can save them from.

Doctor Who. Episode Two. The Beast Below.

Amy Pond takes her first trip in the TARDIS when the Doctor whisks her away to the distant future and they discover Britain in space. Starship UK houses the future of the British people as they search the stars for a new home. But when Amy explores she encounters the terrifying Smilers and learns a deadly truth inside the Voting Booth...

www.bbc.co.uk/doctorwho

Last edited:

FiveParadox

Governor General
Dec 20, 2005
Vancouver, BC
I saw episode two last night, and it was such a wonderful brand of creepy! Very much looking forward to the third episode. I was very hesitant heading into the fifth series under Matt Smith (as I am a die-hard fanboy of David Tennant), but he’s really impressed me so far; and I already adore the character of Amy Pond.

Bring on the Daleks!