Oscar Picks

TheJokkette

Mar 2, 2010
Calgary
I thought this would be interesting. Start an Oscar Predictions and Poll, whoever wins the most correct answers by saturday night recieves bragging rights. So how well do you know the Oscars?

My Predictions for :
Best Picture - I wish I could name 3 films, Avatar, The Hurt Locker and Up in the Air......to me they all have the same chance, but I predict, Avatar, as much as I believe it should be The Hurt Locker.
Best Director - Katheryn Bigelow, undoubtedly for The Hurt Locker
Best Actor - Jeff Bridges for Crazy Heart
Best Actress - Sandra Bullock
Best Supporting Actor - Christoph Waltz for Inglourious Basterds
Best Supporting Actress - Mon'ique for Precious
Best Original Screenplay - Inglourious Basterds
Best Adapted Screenplay - Up in the Air
Best Animated Film - Up

spaminator

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 26, 2009
since i'm a fan of transformers, terminator, and star trek, i'm hoping they will win some special effects awards. :)

TheJokkette

Mar 2, 2010
Calgary
I have a feeling Avatar could. If it does it's seriously because the oscar was bought and the majority of the public want it to win.

Avatar and Star Trek are the more likely winners of technical awards/

AnnaG

Hall of Fame Member
Jul 5, 2009
Oscars are about popularity and which made the biggest wad of cash. It's not about ability or talent.

#juan

Hall of Fame Member
Aug 30, 2005
Oscars are about popularity and which made the biggest wad of cash. It's not about ability or talent.

I don't think that is true. When I think about the best picture oscar winners I can remember, they were the best picture. Tom Jones with Albert Finney was a great picture.
Godfather was a benchmark picture.
Amedeus was excellent
Titanic
The English Patient
All best picture oscar winners

AnnaG

Hall of Fame Member
Jul 5, 2009
I don't think that is true. When I think about the best picture oscar winners I can remember, they were the best picture. Tom Jones with Albert Finney was a great picture.
Godfather was a benchmark picture.
Amedeus was excellent
Titanic
The English Patient
All best picture oscar winners
Oh, I agree that sometimes they can spot a good film. But if it was all based on merit rather than profit, popularity, etc. then why do we see stuff like the following? Why is campaigning necessary rather than just putting your movie out for inspection and waiting for the results?

Countdown to the Academy Awards

Campaign Regulations Issued for 81st Academy Awards® | Press Release | The Academy

Campaign Spotlight - Campaign Commemorates Oscar’s Big Apple Connection (‘French’ and Otherwise) - NYTimes.com

#juan

Hall of Fame Member
Aug 30, 2005
Hollywood produces over six hundred pictures each year so people lobby to make sure their particular movie is seen by as many people as possible. How many movies can a person reasonably be expected to see in a year? I'm guessing maybe 24.

AnnaG

Hall of Fame Member
Jul 5, 2009
Hollywood produces over six hundred pictures each year so people lobby to make sure their particular movie is seen by as many people as possible. How many movies can a person reasonably be expected to see in a year? I'm guessing maybe 24.
Why? Some people can watch 3 or 4 movies in a sitting. Do that every day of the year or even once a weekend and you can watch from 208 movies a year to 1460. I bet there are people that watch a movie or two a day on tv, bigscreen, or computer. That adds up to between 365 and over 700 a year.
Not all awards organisations consider campaigns. Does that mean the movies aren't good?

Anyway, A lot of people think the "Academy Awards" are over-rated and I am one of them.

BTW, I am sure that there are some great comedies around and yet there's no Oscar for "Best Comedy". Or how about horror movies? No "Best Horror"?

#juan

Hall of Fame Member
Aug 30, 2005
Why? Some people can watch 3 or 4 movies in a sitting. Do that every day of the year or even once a weekend and you can watch from 208 movies a year to 1460. I bet there are people that watch a movie or two a day on tv, bigscreen, or computer. That adds up to between 365 and over 700 a year.
Not all awards organisations consider campaigns. Does that mean the movies aren't good?

Anyway, A lot of people think the "Academy Awards" are over-rated and I am one of them.

BTW, I am sure that there are some great comedies around and yet there's no Oscar for "Best Comedy". Or how about horror movies? No "Best Horror"?

If I watched that many movies, I would be sick of movies in a week. I've read that a lot of the academy vote on movies they have never seen.

There is no award for "best western movie", or "best detective movie" either but those movies do win oscars

I agree that the oscars are over-rated, but we will likely watch them on Sunday..;-)

Tonington

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 27, 2006
I have a feeling Avatar could. If it does it's seriously because the oscar was bought and the majority of the public want it to win.

Avatar and Star Trek are the more likely winners of technical awards/

The producer was banned from attending the awards show because of emails he sent out encouraging Academy members to vote for his film.

AnnaG

Hall of Fame Member
Jul 5, 2009
If I watched that many movies, I would be sick of movies in a week.
Me, too. lol
I've read that a lot of the academy vote on movies they have never seen.
I wouldn't be surprised. It's kind of like the Miss World pageant or something; the most popular wins whether she's a bitch, a joke, or a good person.

There is no award for "best western movie", or "best detective movie" either but those movies do win oscars
There ya go. See how biased the Oscars are?

I agree that the oscars are over-rated, but we will likely watch them on Sunday..;-)
They're good for a laugh sometimes I guess. We went to the pub for a game or two and a pint or two last night. One of the tvs had the Oscars on and I caught a little bit. The avatar character making fun of James Cameron was pretty funny.

talloola

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 14, 2006
Vancouver Island
Just finished watching 'hurt locker', very valuable message
was sent, certainly makes one realize even more, what a
waste of life, and a crime by bush, the iraq war is, and
how people's lives have been changes forever, or cancelled
out completely because of the u.s. arrogance at that time.

I watch the post academy party, to see all the interesting
and wierd dresses, with their borrowed jewellry, and some
interviews, I don't stay long, and if it is really boring,
I'm out.

I watched the complete academy awards for years and years,
I loved it, not so much any more.