#juan

Hall of Fame Member
Aug 30, 2005
Who here has seen Avatar. Is it worth seeing. Any opinions? My wife and I plan to see it on Tuesday.

YukonJack

Time Out
Dec 26, 2008
Winnipeg
Is this movie in colour?

Most recent movies are totally unwatchable, because they are presented in dirty, no-colour, slightly greenish, brownish, greyish mish-mash of dark mess. Have any of newer movies got any action in daylight?

#juan

Hall of Fame Member
Aug 30, 2005
A good number of the reviews call it a wonderful visual experience. The movie is in 3-D and you need to wear the cardboard "glasses", but I'm told the movie is worth it.

YukonJack

Time Out
Dec 26, 2008
Winnipeg
"A good number of the reviews call it a wonderful visual experience. The movie is in 3-D and you need to wear the cardboard "glasses, but I'm told the movie is worth it."

Maybe so, #juan, but I would be hesitant to shell out any money after having been burnt by such pieces of junk as any of the Ring movies or the new version of Planet of the Apes, just to mention a couple of examples.

Plus, the absolutely horrendeous volume, in all the newer movies ! My insides are still shaking from the horrible reverberations, appealing, I am sure, only to the already half deaf.

#juan

Hall of Fame Member
Aug 30, 2005
People are comparing this movie to the first Star Wars movie in it's visual impact. If you didn't like Star Wars, you can't be helped.

Socrates the Greek

I Remember them....
Apr 15, 2006
The emphases is on Love and capitalism with a huge spice of prejudice towards the indigenous people of the land and the intend to exploit them through love. A true visual experience the 3D IS THE ICING ON THE CAKE. Director: James Cameron is a true genius. Bravo…..

Hazmart

Council Member
Sep 29, 2007
Hey Juan, I saw Avatar a couple weeks ago. I was really looking forward to it, had heard all the great reviews, and was looking forward to this really amazing movie. Unfortunately I was a bit disappointed. It wasn't a bad movie, but it wasn't as amazing as I thought that it would be. I didn't think that the 3D made that big of a difference.
Check it out if you are interested but it is not something that I would see again.

#juan

Hall of Fame Member
Aug 30, 2005
Hey Juan, I saw Avatar a couple weeks ago. I was really looking forward to it, had heard all the great reviews, and was looking forward to this really amazing movie. Unfortunately I was a bit disappointed. It wasn't a bad movie, but it wasn't as amazing as I thought that it would be. I didn't think that the 3D made that big of a difference.
Check it out if you are interested but it is not something that I would see again.

Hi Hazmart

I'm a real sci-phi addict and I've been looking forward to seeing this movie. The thing has gotten great reviews. Some even compared the visual impact with the original Star Wars movie, or the big scene in Jurassic Park when everyone finally looks at all the the lovely dinosaurs. My son thinks Cameron used a bit of restraint in that he didn't keep having spears and things thrown at your head. Anyway, I will see it on Tuesday and I will make a full report......;-):smile:

karrie

OogedyBoogedy
Jan 6, 2007
bliss
juan, I loved it. Stunning visuals, and I didn't want it to end (even though my spine did after sitting so long). The story line is simple and has some huge gaps and flaws, but it's worth it if you're going to be entertained, not wowed with incredible acting and a stunning story line.

karrie

OogedyBoogedy
Jan 6, 2007
bliss
Let me add.... if I'm paying to see a movie in the theatre, THIS is the kind of movie I want to see... a visual treat, not an art film or a deep drama. And, since i missed YukonJack's post when I replied earlier...

vivid lights, bright animals, blue characters, green jungles, luminescent plants... all popping off the screen at you... this is not a bland colour movie like many in recent memory.

VanIsle

Always thinking
Nov 12, 2008
Hi Hazmart

I'm a real sci-phi addict and I've been looking forward to seeing this movie. The thing has gotten great reviews. Some even compared the visual impact with the original Star Wars movie, or the big scene in Jurassic Park when everyone finally looks at all the the lovely dinosaurs. My son thinks Cameron used a bit of restraint in that he didn't keep having spears and things thrown at your head. Anyway, I will see it on Tuesday and I will make a full report......;-):smile:
Juan, it has been sold out every night for over a month now. You have to buy your tickets early - be there at least an hour before. I bought tickets for my grandson to go see it as part of his birthday gift. His Dad took him to Galaxy a half hour early last Thursday. They said there didn't seem to be too many people around so they thought they could get in easy. Then they saw the sign reading "sold out". Have been told it's absolutely great but only if you see it in 3D. I hear everyone at work raving about it. They'll have to try again on Friday or Saturday. The worst nights of the week but school calls so they can't be out too late on a week night. I believe it said it was 2 hours and 26 min. long.

Canaduh

Derailing Threads
Mar 7, 2008
Southwest WA
Utter crap. Its just a giant CGI fest with a cliched predictable story line. I nearly fell asleep during it as the action only starts around 2 and a half hours in. If you're over 12 or male and like this then well yeah, you're beyond reasoning.

#juan

Hall of Fame Member
Aug 30, 2005
Utter crap. Its just a giant CGI fest with a cliched predictable story line. I nearly fell asleep during it as the action only starts around 2 and a half hours in. If you're over 12 or male and like this then well yeah, you're beyond reasoning.

I'll put you down as "Didn't like it".

Last edited:

TenPenny

Hall of Fame Member
Jun 9, 2004
Location, Location
You have to buy your tickets early - be there at least an hour before. I bought tickets for my grandson to go see it as part of his birthday gift. His Dad took him to Galaxy a half hour early last Thursday.

Our local theaters let you buy tickets on line, or several days ahead at an automated machine.

#juan

Hall of Fame Member
Aug 30, 2005
Let me add.... if I'm paying to see a movie in the theatre, THIS is the kind of movie I want to see... a visual treat, not an art film or a deep drama. And, since i missed YukonJack's post when I replied earlier...

vivid lights, bright animals, blue characters, green jungles, luminescent plants... all popping off the screen at you... this is not a bland colour movie like many in recent memory.

Karrie

You've pretty much repeated what my son said about this movie. The visual experience was the thing.......The plot was secondary.
One thing though, when this movie finally comes out on DVD, I assume the 3D is toast unless you get the Blueray or whatever?

#juan

Hall of Fame Member
Aug 30, 2005
the movie was alright, it was just a movie. The special effects were good of course, and the plot was fine. I seen it and that about sums it up

Interesting. Some say the special effects are a quantum leap ahead of anything previous, and you found it boring. "I seen it and that about sums it up".

VanIsle

Always thinking
Nov 12, 2008
Our local theaters let you buy tickets on line, or several days ahead at an automated machine.
I haven't looked to see if we can buy on line but we can go to the theatre and buy them early. But - that doesn't guarantee a seat if you are not there early enough. When they saw the people outside and the sign that said "sold out", they assumed that the people left standing were those who didn't make it in. I have to assume that with a city this size, there has to be a number of people going back to see it again. Some of the smaller towns nearby don't have theatres so I suppose people are driving in from there also (along with people from neighbouring Islands). I live about a 2 min. drive from one theatre and maybe 3 min. from the other. My son lives a little further but I did give him a gift certificate which would have meant going to the theatre to use it.