James Buckley on playing the young Del Boy in Only Fools prequel

Blackleaf

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 9, 2004
The BBC's Only Fools and Horses was the most successful British comedy series of all time.

The series ran from 1981 to 2003 and starred David Jason as ambitious market trader Derek "Del Boy" Trotter (who had several catchphrases including "This time next year we'll be millionaires") who shared a flat (Nelson Mandela House) in Peckham, south London, with his dopey younger brother Rodney and their grandfather (in later episodes, after the actor who played their grandfather died in 1984, their grandfather's brother, Albert, and Del Boy's partner, Raquel move into the flat).

A 1996 episode, "Time On Our Hands", was watched by 24.3 million viewers, the highest British audience for any sitcom.

In the series, Del Boy and Rodney's mother, Joan, has died - though the brothers often mentioned her - and their father, Reg, has left. The Trotters make money by selling items at their market stall.

The other characters are the stupid Trigger - so-called because he looks like a horse - who is the show's "village idiot"; Boycie, a used-car salesman, a Freemason and a snob with a low sperm count who thinks anyone who has got a pound less than him is a peasant; Boycie's wife, Marlene, who Del jokingly flirts with often; Raquel, Del's "significant other", a failed singer and actress who fell out with Del soon after they met after Del discovered she was working as a stripper; Cassandra, the daughter of a successful middle-class businessman, who met Rodney at night school and the two ended up marrying; Denzil, a black Scouse lorry driver; Mike, the landlord of the Nag's Head pub; Mickey Pearce, Rodney's friend who boasted ludicrosusly of his affairs with women; Sid, the unhygienic owner of the Trotters' local cafe; and Damien, the son of Del Boy and Raquel, so-called because Rodney mockingly suggested that he be named after the Devil's child in The Omen and the couple took it seriously. Rodney's obvious fear of the child was hilariously accompanied by the demonic-like music "O Fortuna" from Carl Orff's "Carmina Burana" every time Rodney sets eyes on him.

Now, a prequel to Only Fools and Horses has been made.

Rock & Chips, to be shown on BBC1 tonight, is set in the 1960s, just before Rodney was born and when Rodney, Trigger, Denzil, Boycie etc are all younger.

Also in it are the younger Grandad, the younger Joan (the Trotters' mother) and the younger Reg (the Trotters' father).

However, Reg is only actually the father of Del Boy. Rodney's father is Freddie "The Frog" Robdal, so-named as he was a navy frogman and a career criminal who had an affair with Del and Rodney's mother, Joan. Freddie never appeared in Only Fools and Horses but was often mentioned, first in a 1987 episode called "The Frog's Legacy". The Trotters always suspected that Freddie was Rodney's dad (but each didn't know the other suspected it and refused to mention it in case the other got upset) but it wasn't confirmed until the final episode in 2003, "Sleepless in Peckham", when an old photo showing a Freddie the Frog bearing a striking resemblance to Rodney surfaced.

In this prequel, set in the 1960s, Nicholas Lyndhurst, who played Rodney in Only Fools, plays Rodney's father Freddie the Frog, and James Buckley plays the young Del Boy.

James Buckley on stepping into Sir David Jason's shoes to play Del Boy in Only Fools prequel

23/01/2010
The Mirror

James Buckley, 22, who plays the young Del Boy in the Only Fools and Horses prequel, meeting David Jason, 69, who played Del Boy in Only Fools and Horses

David Jason as Del Boy, Nicholas Lyndhurst as Rodney and Lennard Pearce as Grandad in a 1981 episode of Only Fools. The young versions of Del and Grandad appear in the new prequel. Nicholas Lyndhurst appears in the prequel as Rodney's father, Freddie "The Frog".

Del Boy Trotter is one of the best-loved characters on the box. Generations of comedy fans have cried with laughter watching Sir David Jason playing the lovable wheeler-dealer.

So they’re in for a shock tomorrow when a new Del Boy hits the screen.

Stepping into Sir David’s fake Gucci slip-ons will be a tough job for newcomer James Buckley who plays a teenage Del in BBC1’s Rock & Chips – an Only Fools and Horses prequel.

But in an exclusive interview with the Mirror, postman’s son James says it’s nothing compared to the real graft done by ordinary workers like his dad.

James says: “It’s far harder to get up at 4am, walk the streets with a satchel on your back, go to bed early and not see that much of your family like my dad has done.”

Denzil, a Scouse lorry driver, was one of Del Boy's mates in Only Fools and Horses. His younger character appears in the new prequel

Even so, James was nervous when he met the legendary Sir David Jason, who made a shock visit to the Rock & Chips set to see how his younger self was getting on.

“I didn’t know he was coming so it was a big surprise,” says James. “I was quite nervous and yes it was quite surreal.

“To be honest, I did get a bit tongue-tied.

Rock & Chips: (Left to Right) The young Denzil, the young Del Boy, Reg, Joan, the young Boycie and the young Trigger

“Him, Nick Lyndhurst, and John Sullivan, the writer, were talking and giggling away. It had been quite a while since they had seen each other and I was happy to listen in.

“David did joke to me that I was too tall and my nose wasn’t quite right – but he didn’t stand there and try to give me advice.”

Rock & Chips, a 90-minute special, reveals Del’s formative years in the Swinging Sixties.

It picks up a storyline from the last ever episode of Only Fools and Horses in 2003 which revealed that Rodney’s dad was Freddie “The Frog” Robdal.

The unfolding drama shows how Rodney’s mum Joan, played by Kellie Bright, fell for the roguish charms of Freddie, played by Nicholas Lyndhurst, who also played Rodney in Only Fools.

The drama also shows how Del was determined to make a name for himself as he mixed with his motley crew of mates, Trigger, Boycie and Denzil.

“Getting this role is a dream come true,” says James, 22.

(Left to Right) Boycie, Trigger and Del Boy in a 1988 episode of Only Fools and Horses

“I grew up watching Only Fools with my family and I was so chuffed when I landed the role of Del.

“I had just arrived at the Edinburgh Festival last August. I spent the whole journey wondering if they had called my agent yet. When my agent phoned to say I got the part, I didn’t need any excuse to have a beer. I was just so pleased.”

While James initially worried about whether he would be able to live up to the nation’s expectations as Del, he didn’t fall into the depths of despair as some inaccurate reports have suggested.

“There was one story that said playing Del was hell for me,” laughs James. “Of course, it wasn’t. How could it be?

“I love Only Fools and, yes, I admit I was worried about if I’d be OK playing him, but I really wanted to do it.

“I watched all the episodes again beforehand to pick up things about the character, but I hope people don’t think it’s just going to be me trying to imitate David Jason because I am not.

Nicholas Lyndhurst, 48, who played Rodney in Only Fools and Horses, plays Rodney father Freddie "The Frog" in the new prequel (above)

“I am not him and the big challenge was doing something different to him.

“You do see parts of his wheeler-dealer personality, but it is set in the 60s and it really is a different show altogether. It is far more like a drama than a comedy.

“Del has got such high hopes for the future and it really is tough for him.”

Working alongside Nicholas Lyndhurst, who played plonker Rodney in the original series, helped enormously.

He says: “Having Nick and Phil Daniels (who plays Rodney’s grandad) on set was brilliant. I just listened to all their stories.

“Nick is such a great actor and from the moment we started filming, I never for one minute thought of him as Rodney.

“Anyway in real life, he is definitely not like Rodney at all. He is a great guy.

“Now the show is about to go out, I don’t actually feel as much pressure as I did when I first took on the role. I just want people to like it. I loved playing Del. The best bit for me was wearing all the different costumes – and it was great having my hair slicked back. I have never done a drama like it. I really liked being Del.”

Even so, James won’t be turning his back on the series that helped propel him to fame – Channel 4’s comedy The Inbetweeners.

He plays loudmouth Jay Cartwright in the hit show, nominated at last Wednesday’s National TV Awards. Jay makes crude comments about women and makes up stories to his friends about his supposed sexual encounters.

“You can’t have any inhibitions when you are playing Jay,” admits James. “Do I cringe when I read the lines I have got to say? No because I know I’ve got to do them.

“We do laugh on set a lot, which can get us into trouble at times, but I love it.

“I can’t believe what the writers come up with. I actually auditioned originally as Neil in the pilot, but I was no good as him – but then they invited me back to play Jay.

“We are back filming again in April and I’m really looking forward to it.

“It is important that we do all get on. It’s the same with the gang of mates Del Boy has in Rock & Chips. There is that gang mentality and I got on really well with the actors who played them.

“Me and the Inbetweeners actors have all experienced the same thing together and we often meet up when we’re not working on the show.”

But you won’t find them falling out of celebrity haunts in the capital. James, who is single at the moment, shies away from the London club scene.

He insists he is happiest hanging out in Hornchurch, Essex, where he owns a flat. It is just 20 minutes away from the home he grew up in Brentwood with his mum Sharon, dad Kevin and younger sister Holly.

He is incredibly close to his family and credits his parents’ support and love for his success.

Winning his first part at the age of 11 in Les Miserables, James went on to land roles in The Bill, Holby City, Teachers, Skins and now The Inbetweeners.

“When you say ‘child actor’, you have this image of a pushy mum, but my mum was not like that at all,” he says.

“I will never forget what they have done for me. It’s a bit of a tradition now that when I get a new role I take them all out for dinner.

“They were obviously chuffed when I got this part as Del and I know they are very proud. I am very lucky.”

Another series of The Inbetweeners is in the pipeline, and James says he would also jump at the chance if the BBC ever decides to turn Rock & Chips into a series.

If Sir David Jason were to walk in after watching Rock & Chips, what is the greatest compliment he could pay you?

James thinks for a minute then replies with a grin: “He’d just give me a pat on the back and say, ‘You did all right, son’.

“I just hope I don’t let all the Only Fools fans down.”

mirror.co.uk

Last edited: